Is Terence McKenna Veeky Forums?

Is Terence McKenna Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnosticmedia.com/McKenna-Agent
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

As far as complete stoners go, he's quite good. I wouldn't qualify him as a genius, but he's well-read and has interesting insights on drugs, language, culture and technology that's pretty impressive for someone outside of academia.

He's read Joyce and Pynchon. Once told an audience that they were better off reading Mason & Dixon than attending his lecture.

>le leftist weed man

Anyone who listens to him should be force fed redpills

McKenna is one of the biggest redpills you will ever take.

He's /pseud/.

Yes.

More like /cia/

>le architectonic neogenesis of le epistimological global consciousness etc. etc.

he's what undergrad stoners listen to when they want to feel smart without actually learning anything

I love him.

nah more like Veeky Forums i think. but i guess he can pass here too.

maybe
all of my DUDE DRUGS LMAO friends love him and use him as an excuse to not do anything

I know nothing about the actual science behind it but the idea of the Stoned Ape Theory is believable and interesting to me

His ideas or worldview may have been deeply flawed or wishful, but his verbal ability was inarguably super-genius level

what was up with that anyway? I remember seeing something about him being in the CIA but I was never interested enough to look into it.

Sounds like a way to get out of getting busted for smuggling le devil's lettuce into the usa. His brother and himself were apparently very smart:

gnosticmedia.com/McKenna-Agent

Either way, he seemed breddy cool. Not Bill Hicks cool, but hey who is

"imagine an infant lying in its cradle, and the window is open, and into the room comes something, marvelous, mysterious, glittering, shedding light of many colors, movement, sound, a transformative hierophany of integrated perception and the child is enthralled and then the mother comes into the room and she says to the child, “that’s a bird, baby, that’s a bird,” instantly the complex wave of the angel peacock iridescent trans-formative mystery is collapsed, into the word. All mystery is gone, the child learns this is a bird, this is a bird, and by the time we’re five or six years old all the mystery of reality has been carefully tiled over with words. This is a bird, this is a house, this is the sky, and we seal ourselves in within a linguistic shell of dis-empowered perception."

not much difference between him and Zizek desu

He thought that James Joyce was from England. No, Terence McKenna is absolutely not Veeky Forums.

kek, I'll bet he thought that was an original idea

McKenna described himself as an Apocalyptarian and said that the environment's destruction is a natural part of the journey towards the Eschaton, "so we can't go back".

This idea is neither his nor Zizek's. There are plenty of full lectures on youtube, give them a listen. He makes Zizek sound like the Stephen King of philosophy.

He is.

nigga his verbal skills are genius level

Like, anything else would be excusable as just a small mistake, but joyce literally beats you over the head with ireland. How do you fuck that up?

Food of the Gods is excellent and everyone should read it.

I had a buddy in highschool who read one of McKenna's books, about psychtropic drugs aiding evolution or something. He an hero'd recently.

That's sad. He sounds like a cool guy.

oh he's lit f a m

What's with all the McKenna threads these days?

One of my most hilarious Veeky Forums cringe moments was going to the library stoned as fuck after listening to McKenna and Robert Anton Wilson talk about Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake. I checked out both books at the same time and the library chuckled derisively, though I was oblivious to the fact that he was mocking me, and told me to have fun.

I went home opened up Finnegan's Wake since it was shorter and thought I was tripping balls because none of it made any sense. I waited till the next morning to look at it again, and it made even less sense. I returned both books the next day and even though I just put them through the outdoor slip I could see that librarian with a stupid smug smile on his face that made me so embarrassed I never went back. I didn't read a book for 2 or 3 years after that.

A shame, you could have laughed it off with the librarian and made a /lit friend

You disgust me.

>stoned as fuck
>the library chuckled derisively

You weren't kidding

By not reading Joyce, that's how.

Terence did not think James Joyce was from England. Yes I have heard the talk where Terence starts with "the British writer James Joyce" this was referring to the passport James died with which was not Irish but British. You can look it up yourself what kind of passport James had.

The only claims I have encountered stating that Terence was an agent with the CIA were based on a sentence in a talk Terence gave which if one listens to the whole talk is clearly not referring to government agencies but could be interpreted out of context to imply working with a government agency.

He figured out that Finnegans Wake is an acid thought loop so I respect him for that

FW was published eight years before LSD was even first synthesized.

that's the genius of joyce, he anticipated psychedelic culture

Doesn't Zizek do the same thing he's criticizing? He's a commie after all, who does he "work for" if not the people?