My son is a year old and actually does pay attention when I read books to him...

My son is a year old and actually does pay attention when I read books to him, but I have no idea what's on his level right now. "First words/numbers" books are boring as fuck and I know he doesn't really get those yet. Anyway, what books should I get him? He has some Beatrix Potter, some Winnie the Pooh, The Little Prince (dual English/French,) and a couple of random folktale books.

At 1 y.o. could read him Mein Kampf as long as it was in a soothing voice

>one year old

Dont worry about it, my daughters favorite book was goodnight moon and i read it to her every night before bed. It wasnt until she was three that I could go crazy. Read to make him happy and he will appreciate it when you crank it up.

The Pigeon books by Mo Willems, and anything by Sandra Boynton. Trust me: my kids are 2 and 4, and they both loved those to pieces.

You really just need to read anythinf be it Seuss or what have you. At that age hearing the language and being close to you and hnderstanding reading as a safe, joyous activity is what will best help support the literacy of yr kid

>one year old

How? My little brother share the same age that your son but he doesn't even stay quiet for a while. He always wants to play and do stuff, touch here, touch that. He also it's allowed by parents to stay awake until 11 pm with them. Are my parents doing it wrong? I have ever wanted to read to children and I was planning to do it with him a little bit older (when he can stay quiet and firm ) around 2 and maybe and then getting to him into some literature. I'm sorry, for asking those questions but I'm just worried.

I'd be getting him started on some entry level lit like Tolstoy and Eliot now if you ever want him to cover the Western Canon

You might as well go for it and read her the original brothers Grimm. It'll make for hilarious playdates when they watch disney.

Also I was very very attached to go dog go.

I can relate to that pigeon more than I feel like I should

this

If he if it's a she just give up with the literary ambitions hasn't finished Ulysses by age 4, GR by age 6 and IJ by age 8 I'm sorry to tell you lads but your son is a pleb failure and probably so are you.

I think this is a good suggestion, OP. Seuss is based. Supposedly, the first book I ever read was Hop on Pop.

Ignore absolutely everything in this thread OP.

Read him Kurt Schwitters. Read him Tristan Tzara. Play nothing for your son but Satie.

You are the dadda. Immerse your child in dada. He cannot understand anything you read him, so supply him with actual nonsense. He might get more out of it than you. You'll probably have a new appreciation for the genre as a whole.

This. My oldest just hit 3 & suddenly the level of understanding has shot up. I read prior to that, but more in a talking about the books sort of way. If you now want to SWTG I recommend Usborne's series (you can get a box with a bunch of them in). They are pretty faithful & introduce all the major heroes. I think they also have a Beowulf I haven't tried yet.

Round about 2 we were hitting things like The Gruffalo & lots of illustration books on dinosaurs & space. I also recommend the dinosaur pirates series of books.

It is so fucking exciting filling his head with epic stories. I did a loose verbal telling of Beowulf & he got really into it & wanted to know what songs they sang in Heorot, if Beowulf's sword has a name & how many men Grendal could eat in one go.

Pic of the Greeks.

"Lolita".

Read him turn of the century adventure-pulp.

Like Tarzan Of The Apes and King Solomon's Mines.

These will instil in him a healthy boyish desire to climb trees, and wrestle negroes and sundry other jungle beasts.

Wait... nobody in this thread is raising their child monolingually.... right?

my wife's son likes when i read history of ancient egypt to him. sometimes he even mutters some non-existent words like: "ui oz qenz n shi" he is really smart for a 22 year old kid

I'm also doing this along with SWTG.

I imagine reading episodes from Don Quixote would be good for a kid. They can be quite goofy and entertaining.

no, we want to have psychopathic children with heightened artificial British accents and no real cognitive capability for connecting speech intonation with feelings

bonus points if they're shitskin

Why not Finnegans Wake? It's kind of children's book already

Read him Wilfred Owen so he understands the horrors of the world from a young age.