I have never had a drink before in my life. I'm of legal drinking age, live in the US...

I have never had a drink before in my life. I'm of legal drinking age, live in the US, and just never was interested until now.

What should I start with? What's the best stuff to experiment with?

Piss beer until you get used to the taste, then some better beers
Whatever mixed drinks until you figure out what you like

People here will tell you you're a poser for not liking there Portland Oregon handmade bacon sriracha septuple hop explosion meme IPA but ignore them.
Most people don't like beer at first, just drink inoffensive ones and you'll develop a taste for it soon

None, alcohol isn't really worth it besides a beer every now and then. Just smoke weed

What State OP ?

Try a little bit of everything

Colorado

This. Everything is going to taste shitty at first so there's no real need to go for anything above the bottom shelf until your palate has had a chance to adapt.

amaretto on the rocks
baileys
tia maria w iced coffee
corona w lime

Underrated post

Gin mixed with a juice of your choice (I like pineapple, myself).

The juice will mask most of the alcohol, but you'll still taste it enough to slowly become acclimated to it, and it gets you drunk really fast while tasting yummy.

If you want to try cocktails, I'm a big fan of Gimlets (I reeeaally like gin).

Try everything in small portions. I never developed a taste for beer but I'm in love with wine, cocktails, sake and soju.

Point being, don't take any of the advice here too seriously. Drinking is about exploring and discovery, not following someone else's guidelines

Try a bourbon basil smash, it's the best drink ever

10 Thai or regular basil leaves
1 1/2 ounces bourbon
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/2 ounce simple syrup
1/4 ounce lemon-lime simple syrup
Basil leaf

Smirnoff Ice
Don't let anybody bullshit you about this beverage. Drinking this will make you masculine as fuck.

Keep in mind that just because you don't like a particular alcohol doesn't mean you won't like it later on once you get used to drinking alcohol. When I first started drinking I could never imagine drinking a bourbon on the rocks but now it is my favorite drink.

>10 Thai or regular basil leaves

Are you making a side salad with the drink?

4 lokos and valium

I guess they're assuming you'll make a lot of them or something? Fuck, I dunno, it sounded weird to me too

I'd probably have to have 4 valiums before I could choke down 1 loko.

Once you find a decent flavor they're pretty easy to drink. Peach is usually my go to.

They make your poop turn the corresponding color.
Try bud light margarita cans. Same price, no 24 hours of wanting to die afterwards and no shitting the rainbow.™

I'm serious, try the mango flavor at least. Cry about 4% abv if you want, at least you aren't bedridden.

if you want liquor, go with bourbon or scotch

buffalo trace is affordable but excellent bourbon
glenmorangie 10 is affordable and unpeated scotch

or get a bottle of jameson. irish whiskey is very pleasant. if you like the jameson, think about jameson black barrel, redbreast 12, or green spot.

If you are looking to get fucked up, then vodka with some sort of fizzy sweet mixer. Most people use coke or lemonade.

If you want to try something different and enjoy it I would start with something like a gin and tonic / ginger ale. Bourbon mixes well with ginger ale too. The key for these I think is to use decent quality ingredients - doesn't have to be crazy money but bottom shelf spirit is generally shit (Jim Beam white aside, it is actually pretty good) as are bottom shelf mixers. Lots of ice too and a wedge of lime.

That said, I started out drinking beer with my dad, and he gave me some whisky soon after and i really liked it. Think it was Macallan 10 (when you could still get it for £20 a bottle). If you go down that route, pick up something like Aberlour 10 which is cheap and not too in your face. Tastes really nice too.

Cuba Libre (Rum and coke)

This.

Don't get complicated

don't go getting crazy bullshit cocktails

expensive

too strong for you

bartender/shopkeeper might think you're a faggot

none of this :

get a slab of cheap beer and a couple of friends

stick on your favorite albums

play cards or board games or something if feel like it

keep drinking

pass out

wake up feeling like shit

do it again next week

good advice

shit advice

get some decent beer, like yuengling or pacifico or a citrus based cocktail like a margarita, tom collins, etc. dont drink shots, dont drink straight liquor, stay away from brown liquors or anything super sweet. mixers (rum/coke, gin/tonic, whiskey/ginger ale) are ok but dont go overboard because the sugar will give you a worse hangover.

t. alcoholic in recovery

>pass out
>wake up feeling like shit
>do it again next week

story of my life

aberlours range is good shit

These taste so good

Skipping of all the Fucking faggots in here, I say start with the 'sweet' stuff. The 'dry' stuff tends to be more alcoholiy tasting. The `wet` stuff tends to be more sweet. Shit like wine coolers, white zenfidel, etx.

This is excellent advice. After I turned 21 I had a few beers and I...tolerated them but didn't find one that I enjoyed at all until about the 10th one. Just so happened to be my grandpa's beer of choice.

1. Somersby cider: it tastes like carbonated apple juice
2. Diet cola and rum: mix to taste (I would recommend 1 part rum, 7 parts cola)
3. Red wine: it will grow on you and you will learn to like it - I recommend Mouton Cadet or Woodbridge
4. Try any beer really, but you probably won't like anything strong (6%+) at first.
5. If you're up to feeling like a man, Canadian Whisky on the rocks

These are all fairly entry level. Don't fall for anything overly sweet. Sugar and alcohol go together like coffee and salt.

I recommend a bottle of tequila, a bag of oranges, and 3 or 4 lemons.

Go full Tudor and do a Bloody Mary

Someone else who has never had a drink here. Is there even a point to alcohol besides getting drunk? I've never been interested in drinking at all, and almost no one in my family drinks, but most of my small circle of friends does on some level, and they're always trying to get me to do it. If I ask why they always say I should just do it, and I don't get it. Things like >keep drinking
>pass out
>wake up feeling like shit
>do it again next week
and what people say about not liking beer until you've had a ton of it just doesn't appeal to me at all. So for people who drink, what's the point besides getting drunk?

do you muddle the basil or just have a salad floating in your sweetened lemon/lime flavored bourbon?

You could just try drinking for the sake of drinking without the intent of getting drunk. Nothing wrong with having a cocktail or two every now and then as opposed to binge drinking till you blackout.

Don't force yourself to drink if you don't like it. There's nothing wrong with not liking the taste of alcohol. It's not for everyone.

Otherwise, I'd just say experiment to find out what you like. I used to hate beer, but now I love it. Sam Adams Boston Lager is a pretty decent beer if you're not used to drinking. I'd say it's best to avoid the shittiest beers like Coors just because you don't want to develop a taste for shit.

>Gin

Why on earth would you recommend this to someone who's never had an alcoholic beverage?

A lot of our common drinking culture is kinda fucked up. I used to be like you, didn't have a drop until I was 20, didn't see the point. I still think getting wasted is stupid but there are genuinely enjoyable drinks out there. e.g. Scotch whisky and craft beer, just look out for the fedoras

I don't drink to get drunk (usually). My family is full of alcoholics, so I'm really careful about how much I drink. I drink beer because I like the taste of it. I'll have one or two beers a night, and occasionally a shot of whisky.

There are tastes to be appreciated in alcoholic beverages, but not everyone can appreciate them. I'd say if you've tried a thing 9-10 times and still don't like it, then it's not for you.

Are you experimenting or are you trying to open up to US drinking culture? If the latter, just buy a 30 rack of cheap beer and start getting used to it. Also lots of people like to bring Fireball around nowadays because girls will drink it, and guys don't hate it as much as the flavored vodka type shit girls usually get smashed on.

just try a pint of beer or some glasses of wine
what's wrong with americans and drinking?