Middlemarch

Talked to one of my literature professors today for whom I have always had a lot of respect and admiration. I pressed him on what his favorite work of fiction is and he answered Middlemarch.

I was a bit shocked and seeing as I don't much rate female writers this has altered my entire perception of him.

Am I just being a retard here? is it actually more than a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_Act_1832
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's a great Victorian social novel. Think a more "adult" Dickens.

Don't fall for the "no woman can write" meme.

Middlemarch is pretty good though.

Bit surprised to hear this. Maybe I'll give it a go

It's probably more relevant to British readers, due to the surrounding politics.

He praised the complexity and exposition if the characters' psychology which he felt was unparalleled (or something like that).

Thought it was just a housewife talking about gossip and trivial things. I've ordered a copy

Why did you enjoy it?

>Bit surprised a woman can write
the hell is wrong with you
>>>/storefront/

It's set during an interesting time in British politics - the death of the old, boys' club times, in and with the newer kind of democracy.

The characters and village revolved around this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_Act_1832

Middlemarch is arguably the greatest work of English literature and was a common thread topic before the most recent influx of cross-posting/newfags.

George elliot was sleeping with a married guy and cucking his wife doe, she was pretty modern and a FREAK of her time, or kinky slut.

Definitely wasn't your average women, so take that into mind when reading it. It's an extremely impressive work with a broad scope into the psychological aspects of such simple going ons.

Your professor sounds like a nu-male faggot, desu

>George elliot was sleeping with a married guy and cucking his wife

Based

That's what shocked me so much. I thought he was on 'our side'.

I think he notices that I was visibly upset

You're an idiot

Read the book and decide for yourself

"n-nu male cuck! take the red p-pill, cuck!"

go hang yourself virgin

It's just banter, lad, calm yourself

I hear that in almost every thread now. It's hard for me to imagine that people here are actually that simple-minded, sheltered, and borderline retarded, but since this site is a haven for social retards it wouldn't be surprising if they were in earnest.

this is bait

They usually stay on /r9k/ and /pol/.

Let's hope they're just memeing and get bored soon

He's an academic, what do you expect? They're all bullied into woman worship.

I was just listening to Harold Bloom on Shakespeare lectures and dry heaved as he gushed about Juliet being an example of how women are so infinitely more spiritual and emotionally generous and complex and it wooshing over his head that this fictional woman was written by A MAN aka Bill Shakespeare.

Middlemarch is a WONDERFUL book. Eliot's prose is astonishing.

It's almost always bait.

Maybe you should take a break.

>feminist detected

Real women have curves amirite

Please tell me this shit is just ironic shitposting.

If you genuinely hold the opinion that women can't write and think actual works of art like Middlemarch, Wuthering Heights etc are just memes then go ahead and get the fuck off Veeky Forums and back to /tv/ or better yet just off yourself.

Remember to fucking sage and report this horrible, mind-numbing garbage. Jesus why the fuck did you retards start coming to Veeky Forums this board was so good.

>Juliet being an example of how women are so infinitely more spiritual and emotionally generous and complex

where'd he get that idea? they're both idiotic hormonal teenagers.

The context is the "wherefore art thou Romeo" scene and how Romeo is pretty oblivious and dumb in it. The lectures are The Modern Scholar Shakespeare's Tragedies.

I don't even care if they're serious stupid sexist morons or stupid trolling morons who think they're funny; I just want them to fuck off and die somewhere else.

>Am I just being a retard here? is it actually more than a meme?
Yes and yes. Because there are exceptions to the rule.

And on a different note; is the version of Atlas Shrugged from the publisher Signet any good? 1000 pages in a paperback.

>Atlas shrugged
>Good

Nope nope nope nope nope

Really? Why?

But Shakespeare's ability to write and emphasize with the female perspective is the best example that applying identity politics to art is incorrect. The whole role of an artist is taking on the voice of others through your mastery of literary techniques.

But you wouldn't be able to grasp that because you're as obsessed with ideology as the other side.