/COWFEE/

Previous shit thread: Post coffee and coffee accessories!
No mycotoxin shitposting allowed!
Do not reply to the coffee mold shitposter!

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/cancer-roast-potatoes-burnt-toast-starchy-foods-could-cause-cancer-acrylamide-food-standards-agency-a7540916.html
guddina.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/coffee-doesnt-have-to-be-gross-why-dark-roast-coffee-is-bad-for-you/
best-coffee-machines.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-coffee-roast
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19271317
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>No mycotoxin shitposting allowed!
I agree, no shit posting on the topic but ONLY the actual scientific facts.

TOP DEFINITION
Shit Posting:
1: The failure to make a constructive post
2: The inability to add useful information to a forum
3: Worthless overly offensive generally racists posts written in a manner which aggravates others.

So ANONS ONLY GOOD QUALITY SCIENTIFIC INFORMATIVE DISCUSSIONS PLEASE, NO SHIT-POSTG, PLEASE. Thank you.

What is Ochratoxin? Where is it a problem?
Ochratoxin is a class of several different chemicals belonging to the fungal toxins known as mycotoxins.
Unlike other fungal toxins, such as mushroom poison, mycotoxins are toxic secondary metabolites produced by mold, and we unintentionally ingest them in food.
Mycotoxins are documented to cause substantial suffering by disease and death in humans and animals, but the real impact is likely far more than we currently comprehend.

In developed countries, with our plethora of food and the diversity of our appetites, we avoid the acute and disastrous effects mold toxins have today in the developing world.
However, despite our current comforts, mycotoxins are still in our food supply.
Are these toxins affecting your health and your performance?
There are two main forms of contamination of agricultural products by ochratoxin, known as ochratoxin A and ochratoxin B.
In shorthand these are referred to as OTA and OTB in most scientific literature.
Ochratoxin B (OTB) is less common and less toxic than OTA.

OTA is produced most often by two Penicillium species (P. verrucoum and P. norduim) on poorly stored cereals
or by a wide range of Aspergilli in variety of products, including wine and COFFEE.

Is this the gween tea thread?

>Is this the gween tea thread?
>the actual scientific facts.
no it's the actual scientific facts about coffee thread including coffee accessories.

One of my friends got me a bag of protein coffee for Christmas, but I hate iced coffee. Am I screwed, or is there a hidden method for heating this stuff up without fucking it up

gween tea

Let me tell you a secret of the BIG COFFEE INDUSTRY that the dark roasted charred coffee is bad for you and it causes cancer.
Same as many other foods (meats for example or bread toasts) that are burned and charred are not healthy for humans and animals to consume
and causing cancer.
Read it here:
Over-cooked potatoes and burnt toast could cause cancer, new research suggests.
independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/cancer-roast-potatoes-burnt-toast-starchy-foods-could-cause-cancer-acrylamide-food-standards-agency-a7540916.html

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has issued a public warning over the risks of acrylamide - a chemical compound
that forms in some foods when they are cooked at high temperatures (above 120C).
A new campaign tells people how they can cut their risk, including opting for a gold colour - rather than darker brown -
when frying, roasting, baking, grilling or toasting.

Acrylamide is found in high levels in a range of foods including breakfast cereals (not porridge), chips,
potato products (such as waffles or children's potato shapes), biscuits, crackers, crispbread and crisps.

It is also found in COFFEE, cooked pizza bases, black olives and cereal-based baby foods.
Acrylamide forms due to a chemical reaction between certain sugars and an amino acid (asparagine) in the food.

Coffee doesn’t have to be gross: Why dark roast coffee is bad for you.
guddina.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/coffee-doesnt-have-to-be-gross-why-dark-roast-coffee-is-bad-for-you/

Roasting coffee to the same charred and black level, we believe, is the biggest reason why so many people think
that all coffee tastes the same… and that it all tastes bitter and disgusting.
Why Dark Roast Coffee is Bad For You
Dark roast coffees have less caffeine than light roast coffees
The longer and darker that you roast the coffee, the more caffeine you lose from the bean.

HERE IS A GOOD ARTICLE ON THE TOPIC
(with pictures)
What are the Different Types of Coffee Roast?
best-coffee-machines.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-coffee-roast

If I wanted one of those meme vacuum brewers, which one would be the best hypothetical option to get?

How much are you willing to spend?

Heck if I know.
I'm just looking for sweet alternatives.

Is this true? Is coffee really full of toxins?
This guy really sounds like he knows what he's talking about, and I'm starting to have second thoughts about coffee now.
Would appreciate more information if possible.

You need a general range. If you're talking about the reverse vacuum press, those things quickly get up into the thousands.

Make /COFFEE/ Great Again
Ban Mormons, Moldtalkers, those averse to cancer, and Animeposters

The dragon

You can't ban the spine of the site, user

Anime isn't dignified and only attracts children, those who took special ed classes, and shitposters.
I hope you soon grow out of that phase.

>where do you think we are

You're borderline ironic, which is ok

>cowfee
>not coufee

How about one good recommendation per price range for 3 different unspecified ranges?

user you can read in this thread there are many very valuable posts there
you can really learn a lot from them and my idea is not to stop drinking coffee or convince others to stop drinking coffee, no NOT AT ALL
i still drink coffee every day, but now only one cup a day sometimes maximum two cups.
And now I for sure don't drink dark roast coffee (actually after I read those nasty facts about cancer causing burned charred particles in dark roast coffee)
I throw out into garbage almost full pound of perfectly good but it was dark roast coffee beans that vere not that cheap either.

Now I'm buying only locally roasted medium roast ORGANIC coffee.
Now I have this coffee (beans) locally roasted: ETHIOPIA YIRGACHEFFE BANKO DHADHATO.
Varietal: Heirloom
Processing: Sun-dried Natural.
Roasted: light medium

They are more expensive than most coffee beans but since I'm not going to drink 3-4 cups a day any more
and since I do care what I'm going to drink in relation to coffee I don't mind spending bit more for it.
As I posted in that other thread I do have a friend who got very bad pancreatic cancer from drinking too much coffee.
>As I said before in previous thread I do have a friend who was drinking coffee in quite large amounts (2-3-4 cups per day)
>and eventually got pancreatic cancer from it.
>Sad & painful story for him and for his family only over an "innocent few cups" of coffee.

Also drinking coffee on empty stomach especially in the morning before breakfast is a very bad for your health.
user, I suggest you Save on your computer this thread
so you can view the posts because that thread as you know will be Archived soon.

I honestly wouldn't bother. They have less precise temperature control than other methods and don't give you anything you cannot replicate with other easier to control, cheaper brewing methods.

This guy doesn't know shit

What do y'all like to pair up your coffee with?
In the morning I pair it up with a mineral water, in the afternoon with a cigarette

I heat my water up to 200 f
Welp, hello cancer

user YOU ARE SO FULL OF SHIT
do you need doctors or scientist to tell you that consuming burned charred food is bad for you??
Are you really that DUMB or you trying to find other dumb people who will believe your garbage.
Read in this post and tell me that you are honestly believe what you posted
or you are just one of those dishonest greedy coffee sellers or coffee shop owners who is panicking right now
knowing that truth about health hazards of coffee is coming out.
Tell me honestly would you eat that dark black burned charred meat in the picture, all of it as it is.
So why do you think that consuming drinking coffee that was burned charred to dark roast is OK to do it ????????????????.

You fucking piece of shit you are trying to convince people to do so and your only reason is to make greedy money
not caring if people will get cancer from it or not.
I hope user that you will die from cancer you fucking dishonest piece of shit.

And the repeating wording in that shit that you posted is: "probably" - "limited evidence" - "that appears" - "based on limited evidence"

Listen to me you asshole,
you will not find solid evidence that consuming food (it this case drinking coffee) that was grown using tons of TOXIC chemicals,
that has TOXIC molds growing on it, that was burned charred to dark black color is safe for humans and that will no cause cancer.
So stop trying because you are only making worst for your industry.

There are honest ethical ORGANIC coffee grovers and HONEST COFFEE roasters but there is not that many of them in this industry,
in this industry there is more people like you, dishonest greedy pieces of shit who even have the nerves to try to dispute all of those ugly facts
that your industry is trying to hide from unaware consumers.

I'm not even a coffeefag. I drink 2 cups of shit coffee through a cheapass drip every morning. But what's your fucking deal? Whose agenda are you pushing and why? The coffee threads were informative even for someone who is not a connosiuer before you showed up. Just go away, for god's sake. Some people like to hear what people that are really into coffee think about it.

How about you just fuck off, huh? You made your point. Sleep better knowing no one will ever change their behavior based on your ravings.

Coffee beans are not charred or burnt unless they are full french or italian roast.

Most coffee sold in the US is roasted to a Full City Roast+ at most which isn't charred at all.

The browning of the beans comes from the maillard reaction - the same thing that turns the crust of a loaf of bread brown. Are you stupid enough to think that bread is a carcinogen?

[_] NOT REKT
[_] REKT
[X] TYRANNOSAURUS REKT

>The coffee threads were informative
Hey, whining shit head, how Am'I preventing you from posting your glamorizing informative stories about coffee.
Go post your shit share your wisdom, stop acting like little whining pissy girl.
>Some people like to hear what people that are really into coffee think about it.
There you go you fucker you said it. I'm sharing what I think about it.

post your shit or STFU
I THINK I JUST FOUND YOUR SELFIE ON YOUR HARD DRIVE

>Are you stupid enough to think that bread is a carcinogen?
NO YOU ARE STUPID NOT READING MY POST AND NOT COMPREHENDING what I said.
I was only talking about dark roast coffee (not medium roast coffee) you idiot, so next time read carefully before you start yapping.

Actually that is a well known piece of portraiture done by Jill Greenberg in 2012.

She also did pic rel, I believe it's your mother.

There is extremely little dark roast coffee in the US. It is highly likely that no one on this board has ever even had a dark roasted coffee.

Seriously... go try to find a truly dark roasted coffee at your local grocery store - or any of the coffee houses in the area. It starts to taste like ash or a carbon filter.. it's awful and americans won't drink it.

no one who actually likes coffee drinks dark roast

dark roast is a forced meme by folgers, maxwell house, et al. to sell shitty stale robusta

>shitposting this loudly for a very small subset of roasts
At least keep your shitposting to a single post and fuck off.

here fucker where did I talk about other roast besides dark roast nowhere, you are making fool of yourself

or this link to my other post in the other thread

>ALL CAPS

[X] CONFIRMED TYRANNOSAURUS REKT SIGHTING

>samefagging rektage

i love coffee

"The results indicate that coffee contributes with very insignificant quantities to the daily human intake of carcinogenic PAHs."

PAHs are the compounds you are talking about with regard to roasting and carcinogens. Keep in mind that meat has other compounds in it besides these that become carcinogenic, but coffee only has this variety.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19271317

WHAT'S WRONG WITH CAPS YOU DELICATE SNOWFLAKES.
WHAT YOU ARE BUNCH of sensitive feminized faggots here?

We have the best coffee, ok. I know people that say we have the best coffee. It doesn't cause cancer. It's light to medium roast. We're gonna build a roaster and the columbians are going to pay for, ok? And it's gonna be great. All the people are saying it. Everyone knows it's true. We're gonna roast to first crack, let the beans brown a little bit more, but we're gonna stop just before second crack or maybe just a couple seconds after second crack. It's gonna be terrific. I'm gonna be the best roaster president America has ever seen. I won the most popular roast in America and the number of people at my inauguration that wanted some of my hot coffee was huuuuge.

PROBLEM with majority of coffee is not only how dark is roasted but also that is grown using ton's of TOXIC chemicals and that is has TOXIC molds growing on it
Oh, it’s a sad fact for us coffee lovers, but this bean is one of the most intensively sprayed crops around.
Why? Normally, coffee is grows on bushes naturally in the shade, but to increase production, most large coffee makers cut down huge swaths of rainforest (hello, Nestle!)
and douse the beans with TOXIC chemicals to grow coffee more quickly.

rate my pourover

18g coffee, grind 15 on baratza virtuoso
285g water, 195*F
preheated v60 and mug
50g pour for bloom, wait 20s
150g pour, wait 60s
85g pour to knock down the high-n-dries

coffee cools to 155f
drink

>drinking robusta
nigga that's your problem. get some proper arabica. ethiopia aricha is good, sulawesi toraja is also p good

Is that mexico organic whole bean stuff at costco any good?

I'm not fucking drinking robusta you moron, nowhere did I said that I drink robusta so don't make shit up, OK.

Right now I have couple of pounds of this coffee
Now I'm buying only locally roasted medium roast ORGANIC coffee.
Now I have this coffee (beans) locally roasted: ETHIOPIA YIRGACHEFFE BANKO DHADHATO.
Varietal: Heirloom
Processing: Sun-dried Natural.
Roasted: light medium

Grind is too fine for pour over

You're using too much water to start with according to the American Cupping Society...

195 is not hot enough to extract some of the components so you are going to miss some flavor elements.

50g for bloom is too much, 20s is not long enough.

These are generalities and they may all differ given different sources for beans and the roast.

Given that you didn't list an origin for the bean or the roast I'm going to just assume that you have no business working with a pour over anyway because even if you did manage to not fuck up everything - you wouldn't be able to tell if you got it right anyway.

>Is pour over a meme?

but you are correct user on your recommendations
>nigga that's your problem. get some proper arabica. ethiopia aricha is good, sulawesi toraja is also p goo
those are good quality choices, thanks for that.

brainlet
it's a good enough recipe for doubleshot.

you saying they're shit?

>get some proper arabica. ethiopia aricha is good, sulawesi toraja is p good

tfw your favorites are out of season right now and you end up buying 2016 vintage sulawesi

as long as is not roasted
green coffee is like red wine bit of time of aging (in proper conditions of course) is good for it, no problematico.

>vintage

what the fuck
this isnt wine

>not buying green and roasting on demand

city roast master race

glad to see discussion drifting away from the craft of coffee towards conspiracy theories

anyone VST basket here? i just picked up my first tonight (a ridgeless 20g vst) and am pleased with the results over the stock silvia double filter. even though i went 2 steps down on my grinder my shot ran a little fast so i think there's still some room to dial it down closer. first thing i noticed from the shot tho was how noticably richer and darker the crema was.

>>vintage
>what the fuck
>this isnt wine
I hope you are not that dumb that you don't know that word vintage (vint-age) applies not only to wine, but also to cars to vintage cars for example, and to applies to coffee as well.

I find this is a good bang for my buck

very elegant classy not too busy label design (like in some cheap coffees) and matching color lid, high end

caw

no, but it may well be better than what you're drinking now

dawrk rawst

I personally boycott Mexican food products
almost never buy any food from Mexico, heard nasty stories how they spit and piss on fruits and vegetables if they know that they will be shipped to US.

I don't trust Mexicans if that coffee was really grown organically,probably just bullshit packaging

Most mexican products in the US are sold in mexican supermarkets and not the "ethnic foods" aisle.
It's mostly mexicans buying it.

>weebshit
Is this some kind of secret thread for a bunch of you neckbearded weeblords to get together and post autistic garbage?

>feeling left out and ignored by majority
>time to jump from the bridge

Do you even like coffee?

i would drink instant coffee before i drink mexican crap coffee who cares if it's organic or not their coffee sucks

Does Veeky Forums think 212 degrees Fahrenheit too hot for coarse ground infusion?

depends on the altitude where you are brewing coffee that makes huge difference, and is the water hard or soft

I'm about 60 above sealevel and yeah a bit hard from a well. Hard enough that I use the keurig machine for it's filter to pour over tea at 192. Not hot enough for coffee.

A water filter of some sort ought to be my next appliance purchase.

The only Aspergilli here is you

In the industry we call this the "counter-jew", trying to push blame onto others to seem like them shilling their products (NATURAL ORGANIC LIGHTROAST) is the just thing to do. Go away Shekelstein, we aren't interested in your overpriced chickenshit.

I've got a javapresse manual burr grinder clone. Issuing it instead of a blade grinder improved my coffee, but it is pretty inconsistent with grind size.

Would a skerton be a noticable improvement? I don't have much to spend.

*Using it

What kind of coffee mate powder do you guys like? I like the chocolate kind, but I usually buy the original kind because I can get it in a really big can and it's cheaper than buying the smaller ones.

Pretty much any of those hand held grinders (short of a pharos or whatever) are going to produce wildly inconsistent grind sizes, it's kind of annoying how they get memed up like the second coming. Don't bother with the skerton, save up for an encore instead

Grind is way too fine unless the calibration on your Virtuoso is totally shot.

Water should be much hotter, at least 205 to start, ideally closer to 208 (to account for the temperature drop mixing with the grounds will cause).

I know that blooms are normally done with 2x coffee weight, but in my Chemex I've found that 3x coffee weight consistently produces better results.

He's using a 15.83:1 ratio. I was under the impression that ratios between 15:1 and 17:1 were standard.

How do you guys grind your coffee?
Do you use the one true proper method?

Anyone have experience with the handground precision manual grinder? Looks alright for $80.

I use my hands

In all seriousness though, what do you use?
I just used a mortar and pestle because the semi cheapo crank driven burr grinder I ordered hasn't arrived yet.

Barzata Virtuoso.

encore is shit and not good at anything.

if you are doing anything coarser than french press than a skerton is not what you want (because of burr wobble). a hario mini would be an improvement but both skerton and mini are more suited for fines anyway (more consistent at espresso grind than cheap electrics like the encore which are incapable of espresso grind in the first place)

coffee is so nasty

You haven't ever had good coffee

>coffee is so nasty
YES IT IS, and if you consider all those toxins in it, like heavy duty toxic fertilizers and pesticides LIKE TOXIC CANCER CAUSING MOLDS
drinking commercially grown coffee should be avoided at all cost if you really taking seriously your health and health of you family members who drink coffee.
There are honest and dishonest money greedy players in this coffee industry, few of the are posting here in this thread, like this asshole
who is clearly shilling for the BIG COFFEE even by stating this crap:
>(NATURAL ORGANIC LIGHTROAST)
>we aren't interested in your overpriced chickenshit.
So you see people he even openly is telling you that you should put your money ahead of your health and not to buy healthy ORGANIC grown coffee
and just buy that toxic chemically infused cancer causing commercial shit coffee.

You have the options now anons to support chemically grown coffee and risk of getting cancer from it, or to buy ORGANICALLY grown coffee
and drink healthy coffee not the toxic chemicals from commercial growers.
>They are more expensive than most coffee beans but since I'm not going to drink 3-4 cups a day any more
>and since I do care what I'm going to drink in relation to coffee I don't mind spending bit more for it.
>As I posted in that other thread I do have a friend who got very bad pancreatic cancer from drinking too much coffee.
And my friend was drinking commercially grown coffee not ORGANIC grown coffee and most of the time it was dark roast.

You guys make the right choice for your health not for the wallets of the greedy assholes who are selling you toxic shit.

My self and few of my friends after reading all that stuff about commercial coffee stopped drinking at coffee shoppes and stopped buying that crap now they only buy organic locally roasted coffee beans.

OUR HEALTH MATTERS

never forget the the tyrannosaurus rekt sighting

>not shopping at the Mexican Supermarket
You must not like flavor and value, vato

I can't justify buying coffee anywhere after acquiring pic related. Once I got the process down, there was no better coffee in the city.

Best part: there's a coffee roaster/shop in town that sells coffee/espresso beans straight from their farm in Guatemala

congratulations mate.
Mind posting the coffee you use?

For sure: it's mostly their espresso beans I get. It's a coffee shop/roasters in Tulsa, OK called "Topeca."

(And I was mistaken: their farm is in El Salvador, not Guatemala)

>coffee/espresso beans
just make sure to get the DARK roast beans, you know that are mostly used for espresso machines brewing technology,
you know to use lowest quality robusta beans and to roast (burn,charr) the shit out of them because they have no flavor in them
because they are of so shitty low quality.
And by dark roasting them and creating very unnatural taste but more uniform taste, they can sell low quality coffee bans at the same price
as the good quality coffee is sold to the retail customer,
it doesn't happen with any others commodity, and remember that coffee is the second largest commodity traded right after the oil.
If those cheap low quality robusta coffee beans were to be roasted to a medium roast level nobody would buy them because it tastes so shitty,
so the only solution for the coffee industry was to do this dark roast scam.

And it works, those customers who are not aware of it buy it (and pay same price for it as for high quality beans roasted to medium roast level)
one of the best marketing tricks, from marketing point I (and collectively We) must give them credit for such a genius idea.
But besides being genius this marketing scum is also EVIL,
evil because is not telling you that consuming burned, charred, foods (coffee beans in DARK roast included) that is very carcinogenic,
you know giving you fucking CANCER.

>Let me tell you a secret of the BIG COFFEE INDUSTRY that the dark roasted charred coffee is bad for you and it causes cancer.
>user YOU ARE SO FULL OF SHIT
very good post.
very good post.

Maybe you are aware that espresso could be also made from medium roast coffee beans but needs to re-learn the flavor & taste of espresso made coffee.
Person needs to get used to to different taste.
And that's where the battle between logic and common sense healthy choice & emotions from being accustomed to different taste is fought.

user, the right amount of literally anything will give you cancer. So calm down.

Do you understand what cancer is? It's essentially vulnerable cells (like cells that reproduce rapidly) growing out of control: your cells respond to stimuli, and doing anything to your body is a stimulus.

I know the concept of stimulus/reaction is difficult to understand, but you could at least try.