Is it necessary to experience significant suffering to be a good artist?

Is it necessary to experience significant suffering to be a good artist?

yes

Being a great artist is inherently great suffering so yes

Not necessarily suffering, just significant boredom. You have to be bored by everyone and everything humans have made. That boredom can make you suffer if you're not balanced as a person.

No. You just have to work extremely hard. Work ethic is everything.

being a great artist is suffering

Theres no such thing as a great artist with a good work ethic

work = suffering

His expression looks like that one pic of Virginia Woolf in that screenshot. Also they both killed themselves.

I wonder if making that exact face somehow gives you the conviction to suicide yourself, like some sort of code word

I'll try doing it in the mirror

You may think you're baiting me, but you're only baiting yourself.

He's right though. The best artists are all self-indulgent slobs.

for an artist that deals with suffering, sure. for art in general? no, don't be fucking stupid

Someone like Michelangelo surely must have worked painstakingly hard to perfect his craft. You don't become that good at something by being lazy. Self indulgent, perhaps, but not lazy.

Michelangelo was a craftsman, not an artist.

Exactly. The world doesn't shift into place around you to give you the things you want. You have to nurture your craft. Daily.

WHY IS EVERY THREAD HERE ABOUT FUCKING DAVID FOSTER WALLACE WHAT THE HELL KIND OF ALTERNATE DIMENSION DID I WANDER INTO

Art began in crafts when people discovered their ability to transmit ideas. Any artist is also a craftsman. To call Michelangelo just a craftsman is silly. He wasn't making fucking saddles was he?

Though I have to say I wasn't saying lazy people can't be great artists, that would be moronic.

eh

He might as well have been assembling IKEA furniture

He's a funny meme man who did the goofy faces in an interview, and I think maybe he wrote books too

When will Veeky Forums have its own equivalent to Baneposting?

And any great artist concerned with suffering may as well have been having a crywank. It's the craftsmanship that shines through in the end. I do understand that this is, in our time, is challenged and I can sympathise with that school of thought to some degree.

No, but it helps.

No, you can also write from mental disorder

Get a clue, bozo.