I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop...

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on Veeky Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

thanks friend, i was thinking about this meme a few days ago, and couldn't remember it well enough to google for it

holy.....i want more

Where did you buy that Pepe?

what books are you currently reading?

Pepelicious... Memetastic...
This is the dawn of our art, ladies.

This is immensely helpful, thank you.

Thanks for the advice, friend

is this Veeky Forums's greatest contribution to culture?

Same as you, but here's how I did it :

-Never hang out with other people

-Do nothing meaningful with your life

-Maintain a solitary and boring lifestyle for several years

You'll be absolutely addicted to reading in no time !

Also, regarding this quote :
>Read various books at the same time
That is some tremendously awful advice. A book is best appreciated when it has the reader's full attention for its entire duration. It's how books are meant to be read. Nobody can truly enjoy a novel if they're constantly switching to something completely different and ruining the mood.

my method as well

-feel very competitive
-feel depressed when you finish a book you liked so you start a new one soon

I mean you do it every day, you read stuff online or in magazines or wherever and then go back to reading. I wouldn't recommend reading multiple novels at a time, maybe a short story collection/poetry/light or short non-fiction.

i'm liking this new meme
keep it up JRposter

>feel very competitive
I'm very competitive at times with really autistic things, but reading isn't one of them. I just read because it's the only thing I can do all day every day and not get tired of doing.

>feel depressed when you finish a book you liked so you start a new one soon
Oh god, I know this feel so well. It always feels like it's going to be a rewarding accomplishment when the book is finished, but then it's only emptiness.

Yeah, I guess that's fair. But it's bad to advise people to do this. A novel is something that demands dedication.

Possibly the best contribution to Veeky Forums in general.
Fedoratip.jpg

32 years old

I only read in public transportation (subway, bus, trains) or while waiting in public places like banks.

I read about an hour and a half per day from monday to friday.

I am close to finished The Savages Detectives, i am in the part with the Spanish lawyer who quotes in latin.

Seeing the remaining pages get thinner and thinner depresses me, it is like watching a slow death.

>drink wine
>smoke cigarettes
>wear 50 year old unwashed clothing
>never shower
>never go outside
>on occassion use psychedelics and dissociatives
>tell small children how depressed they will be when they grow up
>remain celibate
>if you start to feel something that resembles happiness, remind yourself how shitty everything is and read more.

But actually, nicotine/alcohol gives me a better attention span while reading. The experience is better with a few drinks and some cigars, cigs, or a can of dip.
Ive also noticed the more depressed i get the more i read.

thanks for the tips

Thanks OP. Ive been trying

Stop this

Stop what

REMOVE WHITE NATIONALIST SYMBOLS FROM MY LIT

holy...i want more...

wow dude you smoke? That's so fucking literary haha I wish I could move out my bitch mom won't let me smoke haha

haha ok

wtf i love book now