Should i get a gas electric or induction stove top?

should i get a gas electric or induction stove top?

Other urls found in this thread:

soylent.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=atuFSv2bLa8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes

Gas is always better than electric, provided your house already has a gas line running to the kitchen.

I've got an induction plate since two years, takes some getting used to but I really love cooking on it.

Only downside is that we no longer use cast iron pans on it because the weight. If you drop it or lose control of it will shatter the entire induction glass plate.

But in my opinion definitely worth to get one.

gas hands down

Gas. Electric is for poor people living in subsidized housing.

it does, im trying to convince someone not to get an induction cooktop.

so far my arguments are
sturdier
heats faster
can be used during a black out
can use non ferromagnetic pans

their arguments for induction are
cheaper cause solar panels
more simplistic (yeah no)

Gas is great because it gives you better control over the heat.
Electric is ok.
Induction is for retards who are scared about burning themselves.

Gas, get a portable induction "5th burner" for boiling/simmering large pots of water or stock.

Gas range
Electric oven
portable induction plate.

electric ovens make sense, they actually work better than a gas oven

Gas. Gas for sure.

Every electric I've ever cooked on has the same problem:

On a gas stove, you turn the heat off/down when your stuff comes to a boil, and it lowers in heat and comes down to a simmer pretty quickly.

The surface of electrics conducts and holds heat very effectively, and this is usually more so with newer ones because energy efficiency, so say you've got something about to boil over.. you turn the heat down or even off, and it keeps boiling for 2 minutes at least, maybe even boils over. On electric tops, if i wanna turn the heat down, i just go ahead and move my pot or pan to another eye or off the stove altogether.

Newer electric tops will boil water faster, though, for those situations where saving an extra minute on cooking pasta is crucial (read: never)

Especially ones that can do both convection and conventional baking.

Don't forget, you can use a proper wok only on gas stovetops.

>extra minute on cooking pasta is crucial (read: never)
But that's where induction is better. It returns to boil after adding product (pasta, green vegetables) faster than most gas (>$4,000USD ranges)

I usually think qtddtot threads are pointless on Veeky Forums, but fuck... what a pointless question.

how do I boil water

Yes, that's actually a more legitimate question. It sounds like you are actually retarded and need help, and not just trolling by asking question #24534535345... I mean #2 the w34t3345434353245983urpokjfa98rtuq34p9tijawefth time.

Simple questions can get many replies and generate discussion; dumb questions - like the OP - are troll questions, and deserve to be ignored.

what should i add to my pan to make eggs not stick?

Gas is best if you can get a proper stove, otherwise electric.

>I'm so poor I'll never be able to remodel my kitchen
Cry more, faggot.

Copper

Police oil

Induction.

It's really not a debate between electric heat element and induction.

The argument for gas is how people are accustomed to it. I've even seen people here call induction "creepy".

Uses less electricity while heating the pan faster and with more precise control over the heat. The responsiveness from the induction pan depends on the materials, but anything magnetic works, and it's more responsive that regular electric anyways.

Cast iron is great for it, but enameled is preferred because induction is often on glass and it can get scratched.

>having a stove that can be functionally destroyed by scratches from cookware
Literally what

Gas master race, enjoy spending 30+ hours a week waxing your stove, you lunatic

Gas is better and it's also cheaper in the long run. The only plus for an induction top is that it can bring water to a boil very fast, other than that induction sucks for cooking.

wood fueled obviously

>heats faster

So you resort to lying to win your argument on how they spend their money?

>functionally

It's superficial and doesn't affect performance. Most pans don't do it, but older pans with more irregular bottom surfaces can.

I'm sorry you're a poor klutz that can't afford nice things.

but it is creepy. it's analogous to microwaving your cookware. I don't own a microwave and I will certainly not be buying an induction stove. ancient man used flames because they are comforting not to mention highly effective. you might as well just drink soylent if you cannot appreciate the emotional appeal of fire-cooked food.

>nice things
>can't be used except in a ISO class 5 cleanroom
You can keep your "nice" [sic] things, I'll keep using my stove that doesn't flip its shit when the pan isn't in the catalog of manufacturer-approved accessories.

I'm sorry you confused "new" with "better".

This.
You are investing in a brand new cooktop, then induction. More exact heat control and efficiency than gas but with the same quick startup.

Listen.

I have a grill. Wood all the way.

But with induction, how do I put it, the biggest adjustment is realizing that you can't count on the time it takes the pan to heat as prep time because it's no time at all. You lower the heat and it's an immediate adjustment. And to a specific temp.

Hyperbole is the recourse of the inarticulate.

>manufacturer approved

You're to used to Apple or something. Put a fridge magnet on it, if it sticks, it works. That includes $7 cast iron pans.

>Put a fridge magnet on it, if it sticks, it works.
What ever happened to "if it's a pan, it works"

Gas is better in every single way.

>cook on electric/induction
>need to shimmy the pan to redistribute whatever is in it
>either keep it on the heat and permanently scratch the fucking glass or lift it up and completely remove it from the heat
>can't use cast iron anything because it's literally too heavy and will break the glass
>can't control the heat for anything because the cooktop retains more heat than the fucking metal pan does (induction does fix this much, at least)

If you absolutely cannot have gas at all, then go for induction. Otherwise go for gas. Bottom of the barrel dogshit is non-induction electric. I'd rather try to cook with a "solar oven".

I have induction. Works well enough but if you want to lift the pan to shake the food around it immediately removes the heating. Also I got one of those things with the buttons in the glass, rather than dials you turn. So if you put a pan too close to the buttons you cannot touch them without burning your fingers.

Anything but coil stoves are fine just get what you're used to (unless you're used to coil stoves)

>but it is creepy. it's analogous to microwaving your cookware
No it isnt the same as using microwaves to heat food. Have you even paid attention at high school physics?
Induction and gas both heat your pan which pass it on to your food. While a microwave heats the food directly.

Of course, since all pans were equal up to now.

I really like my portable induction plate (even though it was a cheap POS) because if your milk or rice/pasta/potato water boils over nothing burns onto the cooking surface and stinks up the place. It also heats up stuff crazy fast. Most plates not only have a power, but also a temperature control setting, meaning thy can be set to keep stuff at 60°C or 80°C indefintely without haing to look after it. And a huge plus if you live in a hot climate: it gives off almost no excess heat (like gas does in massive amounts), all the heat goes right into the food. if the wiring in your kitchen can support it get a 3000W plate, even if it should be twice the price of the standard 1800 or 2000W plates.

With induction the heat is in the pan only, you can't remove it from it, only stop feeding it power.

And just shimmy the pan. If its clean, there will be no effect, like they didn't think of this. Do you press down while moving or something?

Dude, cast iron is highly recommended for induction. Some people put paper between the pan and the top, since it's that safe and they are that autistic.

I feel like I responded to the same issue twice, BTW.

If you lift the pan in any other top, it removes the heat.

With induction the only heat is within the pan, so loss depends on it's materials. Cast iron doesn't lose heat quickly, so there's no loss at all when lifting it from the induction top.

And why the fuck did you put a pan close to the buttons? In any top, try to have the source surround the pan or cover the whole diameter, not just sit in its middle.

>you can't remove it from it, only stop feeding it power
That's literally the same thing as removing it from the heat. What flames offer is heat that STILL EXISTS a few inches above the cook surface. You can lift and stir fry and saute and the flames just rise up to keep meeting the pan. There's a reason chinese places use special burners for woks, because you can lift and toss without losing contact with the source of heat. When you try to do anything except leave the pan perfectly level on anything with a glass top, induction or non-induction, you don't have the same result.

>Do you press down while moving or something?
Do you cook nothing but leaves in a thin aluminum pan or something? Iron and steel cookware has weight, and metal scratches glass.

>If you lift the pan in any other top, it removes the heat.
>With induction the only heat is within the pan, so loss depends on it's materials. Cast iron doesn't lose heat quickly, so there's no loss at all when lifting it from the induction top.

You're a complete fucking retard that thinks a pan heated up by induction is somehow different from a pan heated up by fire. If you take a hot pan and turn off the fire it's the same as taking a hot pan and lifting it off the induction plate. Literally exactly the same. The source of heat goes away.

The difference is that you can leave the fire on and lift the pan, and the source of heat persists inches above the stove surface. You cannot do that with induction because the source of heat doesn't rise up above the plate.

I dont know if its clear but if I put the big pan at the front and I put it slightly offcenter to the front it gets close to the buttons.

You obviously don't understand how this works.

With everything else heat is transferred to a vessel. It moves along the vessel and distribute.

With induction heat is generated within the vessel. You don't remove it from a heat source, but from a power source. The heat was always in the vessel or pan.

The source of the heat is the pan. There is no other heat. The fact is that induction produces heat within the vessel. The loss of heat depends in the materials of the pan.
I'm not trying to use a wok on induction here, nor say that it is the best option in every case, that's just not true of anything. But there is a clear misunderstanding about how this works.

Why would you out it off center?

Gas heats conductively and radiantly
Induction heats inductively

Obviously it was you who neither paid attention in school, nor paid attention to the words themselves

because I am busy managing the pan behind the pan and with that accidently push the pan forward.

both heat the pan which in turn heat the food by conduction from metal to food. A microwave heats the food directly and its radiation might cause side reactions that might create harmful side products. Induction doesnt heat the food itself so that is not a problem.

>You don't remove it from a heat source, but from a power source. The heat was always in the vessel or pan.

WTF am I reading? When you turn off the power you turn off the "source". It does not matter whether the heat was transferred in from the bottom of the pan or whether the heat was generated inside of the pan, because removing the source that caused that generation in the first place stops further generation -- exactly the same as when turning off the flame stops further transfer.

Do you somehow seriously, unironically think that a pan heated by a flame somehow cools off faster than a pan heated by induction?

anything that is not gas is utter fucking shit. induction is legit meme dreck.

>A microwave heats the food directly and its radiation might cause side reactions that might create harmful side products.
Jesus you sound like an antivaxxer. My issue with microwaves is they're aesthetically abhorrent, not that they might sap the chakras out of my kale
>Induction doesnt heat the food itself so that is not a problem.
The problem with induction is there's no fire. I want to cook with fire, not with the side-effects of an invisible magnetic flux

this is objectively untrue

i'll take an electric coil over a cheap gas any day of the week

you need a really top of the line gas stove to reap any benefits from it

Induction is for people who don't want to wait 15 fucking minutes for a giant pot of water to boil.

>Do you somehow seriously, unironically think that a pan heated by a flame somehow cools off faster than a pan heated by induction?

>The loss of heat depends in the materials of the pan.

So you don't read. Nice to know.

i also have a microwave and im not afraid my charka is losing its balance. But I thought you were referring to that since you call it creepy.

But no you find it creepy since it uses magnets and you cant see that.

Are you also afraid of gravity since you cant see it?

Feels over Reals: the post

You're arguing with a fucking Luddite this isn't going to go anywhere.

It is not. I will admit it takes some getting used to, especially when you have one that is controlled by touch buttons, not by dial. But once you have got it down is pretty great. Nothing burns onto your cooking surface anymore, ever.

if you don't get 100% of your sustenance from this and only this, you obviously hate and fear science
soylent.com/

I obviously fear broscience

Gas and induction are pretty similar, induction being a bit more precise in heat control and has more max power (or you can get an electric kettle on the side)
Other electric are shit.

Only downside is that you'll have to change some kitchenware (and/or get an adaptor for your grandma's cast iron)
And you can't drop a sledge hammer on it. You can drop stuff on it without breaking/scratching it, it's not a light bulb or regular window glass. I'm a drunk, I don't take great care of my stove and it's still in perfect condition after years of using.
Easier to clean than gas too.

>I want to cook with fire
does it make you feel like the baddest kid in town?

Yes, the fact that I like stuff that we are basically hard coded to like through 10,000 generations of evolution makes me feel real badass. I also feel this way about being repulsed by the smell of feces and urine, and about having a sex drive. I'm a real strong man rrawwr!

Have fun with your man tits estrogenman

Ooga booga fire. Microwave too creepy for caveman.

Gas gas gas I'm gonna step on the gas

didn't read the thread

gas
a
s

induction is different from the metal spiral that heats up you giant nigger

it can boil 2 liters of water in 30 seconds

This is like asking if you should have sex with a beautiful woman, or have sex with an overweight tranny who hasn't shaved for a few weeks...

I'd rather have a hybrid stove.

Gas is better for eyeballing

Electric/induction is better for stews that take a long time

so... electric?

I'm not a chef, but whenever i see professional chefs cooking on tv they use gas stoves.

Also you can use a gas stove if your power ever shuts off which is handy.

>cheap cause solar panes

do you have any clue how fucking expensive solar panels are bro?

Right, there were 3 options. The electric option is the non-passable trap who's taller than you but has a nice figure and a small feminine benis.

>should i get a gas electric or induction stove top?

Gas.

I’ve got a mint elective stove in my garage that I took out of my parent’s house (where everything was electric, except the furnace) when my mom died, that is only a couple of years old and NOBODY wants it, because electric stoves take forever to heat up and take forever to cool off.

I suppose I could put it on Craiglist but then I’d have to deal with shady types coming to my house to case the joint for a potential burglary.

gas is better because you can heat up tortillas on the flame.

jew

faggot

as someone who works in restauraunts, absolutely nothing beats gas, I've used induction and it's pretty decent for most home cooking but I utilize a lot of flipping in my pans and I need heat that persists. I have absolute bottom of the barrel right now, it's not coil, and it's not induction, it's a flat top that heats up probably the same way as coil but is way slower, and has terrible control over heat, it fucking sucks ass.

The real question is what kind of stove top can make the most unctuous food?

Gas

Gas. Electric sucks balls

Recently got a flex induction stove. Excellent decision. Control over heat is almost like with gas.

It's a bit hard to get into though, I wouldn't give it to my grandma.

Gas for stove top
Electric for oven

My sister had an electric stove top in her old house and it was dogshit in comparison to our gas one. I hated cooking on the thing.

>Gas is always better than electric
apart from when you want to spend less money, or when you want to clean it
induction is better tho, OP either get a gas stove or an induction one, don't bother with the middle ground

I feel like half the posts here think induction is the same as electric.

They probably hear "coils" and think induction is those 2nd-world-tech, bare, red-glowing metal spirals one sees in so many American kitchens.

Induction

What should you get?
youtube.com/watch?v=atuFSv2bLa8

how the fuck do you lose control of a pan