Home Bar, Spirits, Liquor and Cocktails (Beerfags welcome too)

What have you been mixing up lately Veeky Forums?

In Aus it is hot as fuck so for my southern hemisphere bros I would recommend the Zioncheck Zipper.

1.5oz (45mL) Rye (I used Rittenhouse 40%)
0.5oz (15mL) Honey Syrup (1:1 Honey and water heated in pan or double boiler)
7ish mint leaves + sprig to garnish

>Muddle mint and honey syrup in mixing glass
>Add Rye
>Stir over ice
>Strain into rocks glass with cracked/crushed ice.
>Garnish with sprig of mint and serve with a short straw
>Drink by yourself and feel incredibly happy that you don't have to share it with anyone else.

Src: youtube.com/watch?v=S4aPbVLP2XM

For those in cooler climates a spiked orange hot chocolate (my own invention):

1.0oz (30mL) White Rum (I used Bacardi Superior, you could probably use dark/spiced rum or vodka even however)
1.0oz (30mL) triple sec (I used Cointreau)
Milk to fill mug
2-3 heaped teaspoons of cocoa
3 teaspoons of sugar (I used white but you could probably use brown or demera)
.5-1 teaspoon of cinnamon
0.25-.5 teaspoon of nutmeg
.5-1.0oz (15-30mL) Ginger syrup (optional, simmer ginger root with 1:1 sugar water ratio for 15-20min [this can be used in any cold cocktail as well], you could also just throw some ginger into the saucepan. If you use syrup you can cut back on the sugar)

>Throw everything in a small saucepan and heat over low flame, until almost boiling.
>Pour into mug and get comfy as fuck in front of your preferred screen.

>simmer ginger root

Sorry, I mean sliced ginger root (about 3mm slices)

This applejack, was traditionally made by letting barrels of cider freeze and taking the ice out until it got too strong to freeze. This oldest family that first began distilling apples back in georgee wwashington's day were from scotland and thus this apple based liquor has notes very similar to some light colored scotch. Real American history, but people drink jack danials apple flavored piss.

I've just been making dark and stormies with Capi ginger beer and Coruba dark rum. Coruba is cheaper than Goslings but the Capi is first rate, nice and spicy.

Bottom shelf calvados > applejack

I can't even find applejack around here any more so thanks, user ,that sounds good!

I got a bottle of applejack, then found out it was apple brandy cut with neutral spirit.

I bought a bottle of apple brandy and started finding every recipe I could to get rid of the applejack.

now I'm into the real stuff, and I have a five or six recipes that will now be even better because it's not made with basically apple-flavored-vodka

try a Lilywhacker

2 oz apple brandy or applejack
3/4 oz sweet vermouth
1/2 oz cointreau
1 dash bittermens xocolatl or fee brothers aztec chocolate bitters

Yeah, Capi isn't prohibitively expensive either, got it discounted at my old work.

My Aunt had a bunch of calvados which she constantly been given, made a Champagne cocktail with it instead of cognac, was alright I suppose.

I've been making Old Fashioneds with half rye, half fairly cheap Brandy de Jerez (Duff Gordon - think they might only sell this in Canada) - pretty good, brandy makes it a bit sweeter and fruitier while rye keeps it from being one-dimensionally cloying.

Also recently had a drink with Fernet and Cointreau and lime juice at a restaurant that I'm tempted to try to reverse engineer - does anybody know if it's bad form to ask a bartender for their recipes?

My favorite drink as of late is bourbon. No frills, no extra girly shit, just bourbon served neat.

One part Whiskey of your choice
One part Canada Dry
One part black Mcdonalds coffee

Get on my level.

Should have mentioned, serve cold.

Vodka soda sours and whiskey sours mostly (i made my own sour mix, but i accidentally made way too much so im trying to burn theough it)

Honestly I wish Old Rip 10 was more available at $75 preferably, id fucking buy that shit every month.

I think part of its appeal is its inaccessibility to lower-class """""people""""" who would otherwise ruin the magic of Old Rip Van Winkle's high cost

I mix my Glenfiddich 18 with some Cheerwine and it chases away the blues.

Best new drink I had in a while. It's called the El Presidente and goes as follows:

1.5 oz Rum (I used a young white Appleton)
1.5 oz Dry Vermouth (substitute with Lillet Blanc if you want it sweeter)
1 tsp Grenadine (don't overdo it, it's just for the color and a nice little sweetness in the background)
2 tsp Cointreau (this is the sweetener, not the Grenadine)

Stir and serve straight up, squeeze and drop an orange peel over it.

What bitters did you use for your Old Fashioned?

I don't think it's bad to ask for a recipe; modern cocktail culture embraces this form of sharing experience and pretty much all serious bartenders surf the usual sites for input.

Just Angostura. All I have is Angostura and Peychaud's

winefag here, the only bourbons Ive had are low end jim beam and high end woodford reserve. What's a decent middle range bourbon?

Makers Mark? It's middle of the road pricing in Oz?

I use it in old fashioned's

Not much of a whiskey expert though...