Professor asks ridiculously simple question everyone in the class obviously knows

>professor asks ridiculously simple question everyone in the class obviously knows
>"what is the antiderivative of x^4?"
>"...and ln 1 is?..."
>"what angle has a tangent of 1?"
>nobody answers

Why do students do this?

>anti derivative
>high school calc

apathy or fear

>the antiderivative of x^4
>the
op confirmed for brainlet

The fact that it's ridiculously easy means it'll be that much more humiliating if you get it wrong.

Also, passive learning attitude.

>lol there can be infinite c values guise

Confirmed for autist.

>not realizing that "the antiderivative" is not a function, but rather an element of the quotient group Fun(R,R)/Const(R,R) where Fun(R,R) is the additive group of real functions from the real line to itself, and Const(R,R) is the subgroup of constant functions

brainlet detected

>he only takes antiderivatives of functions defined on all of R
>he only considers the additive group, instead of the real vector space
>he doesn't IMMEDIATELY identify Const(R,R) with R
absolutely brainlet behaviour

God this shit drives me up the wall. Everytime my Lin Alg professor asks a question like this everyone just stares at him blankly. After a moment or two I'll be unable to handle it anymore so I'll say the answer and we'll proceed until he asks the next question. I wait and i wait, and then answer again. I tried not answering on multiple occasions and literally no one will attempt an answer.

Fuck my classmates.

Ahahaha are you in my further linear algebra

Please answer faster.
I am one of those brainlets. I was like you, I could not tolerate the awkward silence so I just said straight right out "I don't know the answer".

In return, I got roasted by the professor.
Fucking douchebag.

Either way, you are the hero we all need but do not deserve. All these question asked by the lecturer just destroys the flow.

If it's a question about the content currently or recently being covered and you are unsure of or don't know the answer, that's fine. OP is saying there is no reason you shouldn't know how to take a power rule integral, know the ln of 1 instantly in your head if you are in fucking Calc III or DiffEqs.

i dont answer because i wouldnt want to blow you plebians out of the water with my superior intellect.

Because I don't want to encourage that shit.

I fucking hate when they punt questions into the class. Just quit wasting everyone's time and get on with the fucking lecture.

My favorite is when he asks for a yes or no response from the entire class. Even if you don't know any of the content you still know what answer he wants from his tone.

>Silence everytime

/thread

I do the same, I answer every question I can so the class moves along faster.

What do you want from a lecture, that you can't get from a textbook then?

t. aspiring lecturer

To reveal something big and complicated about the subject, something nonobvious.

this desu

imo, students have a strong responsibility to come to class prepared, with a general understanding of the material. lectures are not there to expose you to the content, they should be there to reenforce the content, and use the content, almost like flipped learning.

except when you're paying thousands of dollars you don't want them to do the same thing a 100 dollar textbook can do, you want them to share their insight, because they are the wise ones.

I just want to keep a steady pace. I find that more engaging than those little interruptions of awkward silence every few minutes.

Also, I always thought it felt a little... hand-holdy. More suited to a grade school audience. Would rather you just ask "are there any questions so far?" every now and then.