You guys, I've been seriously considering going to college to study literature and writing...

You guys, I've been seriously considering going to college to study literature and writing. It's literally the only thing I care and feel passionate about. I don't even care if it doesn't result in a career. Besides, think of all the qt hipster writer boys who would want to have sex with me, I'm not in bad shape.

Besides that sort of facetious comment I made at the end of the OP, I also wanted to say that I think it would be fun to try to make writing fun. I can only imagine just waiting to hear what the assignment is, then figure out how I can add my own elements to it, while still going through with the objective of the writing assignment. It would be cool to try to figure out how I can twist and subvert the thing which I'm trying to write, and find the most bizarre meanings behind them when I go to write my paper. It sounds like something which would be pretty fun to put my mind to and really grapple with.

I'm having battered cod and chips for dinner

lol, nice blog bro.

>I don't even care if it doesn't result in a career.
Typical manchild. You will.

If OP is actually a woman, no, she probably won't. A classical education is perfect for a woman who plans to have kids and raise them at home afterward.

You don't study writing at college, newfriend. You study literature. You either know how to write, or you don't. If you don't, literature is not for you. But college allows you to practice writing.

Honestly, you sound like you just wanna do an MFA or something. The study of "literature" in college is entirely academic. Beside your two creative writing classes, you will write only scholarly essays. So if you're not interested in criticism and scholarship, don't bother. College won't make you a better novelist.

Agreed, but I never assume someone on here is a woman. If you are a woman you can enjoy yourself in college, and then troll match for a few months until you hit a doctor or a C-Level MBA

I am a guy.

I have lots of cousins. They always want to do theater or art or literature or some shit.

I say do a major that will get you a job, and minor in something fun.

>They always want to do theater or art or literature or some shit.
Is there really anything besides these things that are worth while anyways besides theoretical physics and revolutionary engineering which would even be interesting and worth while in this world anyways?

>math
>seismology
>eschatology

No fool, I don't mean how much money it makes you, I mean how fulfilling the job itself is. Most jobs are literally just meant to perpetuate existence .

theoretical physics in its current state probably has fewer opportunities than literature

>fool

Those are growth fields, where you can be guaranteed a job if you do well, make a decent living, and dedicate your time to literature or whatever the fuck you like.

Wind Turbine. Personal Finance. Optometry, Geriatric care management, audiologists (especially pediatric), working in statistics, all interesting according to peoples interest.

No, I'm not even talking about opportunities, because I know that there's very few in these fields. I mean that these seem like the only fields that exist which aren't just perpetuating the cycle of human existence, really no more than someone stocking shelves at a grocery store, the only thing making them different is they involve a little more intellectual effort. Jobs like theoretical physicists, engineers who revolutionize some new technology who change the world, are breaking that vegetative cycle. And art and creativity, these are the height of breaking that cycle, if not the best thing we have in our current poor state of civilization. It's more about self actualization for art, it's about expressing things that go beyond, and scientific careers that advance the human race, are really the only things which matter.

Do it OP. But do it spending the least amount of money/taking out the least loans possible. Alternatively move to a country where college wont bankrupt you. Thankfully I am a poorfag so got the whole thing covered by daddy gubbermints financial aid. I encourage you to find a way but also be smart about it. Dont listen to faggots telling you a career is the most important thing in your life

>Wind Turbine. Personal Finance. Optometry, Geriatric care management, audiologists (especially pediatric), working in statistics, all interesting according to peoples interest.
Like I said here these all sound like a vegetative existence that only perpetuates society for the sake of it, and does nothing to break that mold and achieve any sort of self actualization and enlightenment, or progress in humanity that actually makes a difference in the world. They're all just mindless, mediocre drudgeries, which I couldn't imagine being physically able to tolerate for a moment.

You need to read some Marcus Aurelius.

You are a human being, your business is that of humans. Somehow thinking you are greater than that...you are kind of channeling Chuck Paluhniuk, which is pretty pathetic. This awful logic could be assigned to farming as well, despite the fact that it is a common activity for probably 99% of all homo sapiens ever born.

>Dont listen to faggots telling you a career is the most important thing in your life
thank you, and I also just spent the last several posts expressing my absolute disdain for careers for the sake of careers and money. The only reason I ever want money, is because I need it to buy other things that I want, but I don't find the process of getting it to be rewarding what so ever, in fact I find a life of drudgery to be one of the most crippling and scary prospects of all; crippling because I can't ever feel motivated or happy in doing such things.

you can get a finance job in one second with a phd in theoretical physics

I know a guy who speaks as you do.

He works at Talbots 36 hours a week and then plays varied versions of super smash brothers. There are many people like you. They are called hobos. Many of them came to the same conclusion you did in the 60s, and then they did heroin.

>This awful logic could be assigned to farming as well, despite the fact that it is a common activity for probably 99% of all homo sapiens ever born.
Well what does that say about the mass majority of human beings who are slaves to this horrible reality? My hope is in science, because science can some day make production automated, and robots can take over our jobs, and we can focus on things which truly matter, like pursuing art and self actualization. I think that we would live in a truly fascinating, enlightened society if we didn't have the strains of mentally barbarous things like work to detriment our mental growth. The thing about work, is that it actually detriments the human mind, it makes us dumber, slaves to a vegetative lifestyle. Art is the only escape from such a thing, or discoveries, new frontiers, or things which truly better the human experience.

That said, financial stability is a necessity that shouldnt be neglected, and there is nothing wrong with work. I wouldnt devote my energy and push my life towards a career path, but I do look for agreeable enough work when it's available. Landscaping and contracting are fine now while I'm young, and once I'm out of school I'll try for a position as a community college professor. You cant have any idealistic illusions about this kind of life being glamorous or particularly easy, but I personally feel it is ultimately easier than deluding yourself into thinking you'll find satisfaction at the top of the wage ladder and being too exhausted by that pursuit for anything you actually find interesting.

You have no idea what you're talking about

With a physics grad degree you're better equipped in terms of math and knowledge for any job in:

>astronomy
>engineering
>finance
>data analysis
>not to mention physics research

These aren't even my words, it's from a professor or two in the field. English lit, unless it's from a top 10 school, won't really get you much of anywhere besides perhaps low level academia

>inb4 just do what makes you happy
Yeah, no. Everyone says this and it's a loser nu-optimism mindset that people make to justify their mediocrity; no writer you admire from the past 100 years or so probably either 1. Studied originally to be a writer or 2. Not study at an incredibly prestigious institution or 3. Have unreal amounts of natural talent in addition to about 20,000 hours of impassioned work

Do another field and then write with tints of that field in your stories/worlds; it's a lot more interesting that way

yes, I bet you asked them about a "physics" degree and not becoming a theoretical physicist.

Uh no, actually
At any level, you're going to have a great edge on anyone in those fields in the corresponding tier. My point was that even if you study theoretical phys and things don't work out, you still have plenty of options

With English lit you have fuck all