My god I just discovered Blake

My god I just discovered Blake.

MY GOD I JUST DISCOVERED BLAKE.

ME BAKE I DUST JIZZED OVER CAKE.

>tfw todays world wont allow me to persist in my folly

Blake general please.

Other urls found in this thread:

openlibrary.org/books/OL5947860M/Poetry_and_prose.
youtube.com/watch?v=Qvx0on0Hj2I
desuarchive.org/r9k/thread/15847929/#15847929
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>poetry
drakepushesairindisgust.jpeg

DELIGHT THIS

What's your favorite poem of his? I like Auguries of Innocence myself

I find Blake fascinating but completely incomprehensible. Mainly for his mythological stuff (Urizen etc.). Where should I start to try and understand what was going through this guy's brain?

i just discovered him... marriage of heaven and hell has caught my attention but im just about to dive into his world, so i dont know much yet.

any suggestions/remarks/whatever?

Read Fearful Symmetry by Northrop Frye

Best literary study of a single author ever.

Read Vala, or, The Four Zoas

The Ancient Man, Albion, was shattered and fragmented into four Zoas that still can be found in the various aspescts of human life.

Urizen, the Reason and law: is to Satan

Luvah, love and the heart: is to the Son of God, Adam, Christ

Tharmas, the unity of the body and Sense: is to God the Father

Urthona, the imagination, Spirit: is to the Holy Ghost.

Urthona has a fallen, temporal state called Los. Los seeks to reunite the Zoas through the Arts; to bring back the Ancient Man into his original state. His works incite Orc, the fallen state of Luvah, to bring fierceful revolution into the world.

Each of the Zoas has one female emanations, corresponding to differing aspects of human experience, such as sexual urge, Nature, pleasure,...,

OK I never read the poem but I was doing research about it yesterday

Marriage is good, so is Songs of Innocence and Experience... the later stuff like Jerusalem and America: A Prophecy gets harder to parse because of how deeply its rooted in his personal visionary pantheon, but there's still gems like "And did those feet in ancient times..." mixed in.

Also, do yourself a favor and read about Ghost of a Flea, one of his weirder paintings.

Not a huge fan of Blake, but I love his aphoristic stuff like Auguries of Innocence:

The winner's shout, the loser's curse
Dance before dead England's hearse.

I fear I must get off my rump
To give the thread another bump

Tell me more.

I find Blake to have the occasional beautiful line but his poems entire don't really get me hard. It's like a pretty okay album with a couple of banger singles. I was really hoping for something inspiring because of Dead Man, too.

did he produce any prose?

He's just a crazy fucking hippie. He would've lived in one of those christian communes if he was born in the 60s.

you people saying hes a hippie and discarding him by linking him with contemporary people who claim influence are like someone saying that aristotle is christian and discard greek philosophy as religion just because the medieval scholastic built on his philosophy.

¶The stolen and perverted writings of Homer and Ovid, of Plato and Cicero, which all men ought to contemn, are set up by artifice against the Sublime of the Bible; but when the New Age is at leisure to pronounce, all will be set right, and those grand works of the more ancient, and consciously and professedly Inspired men will hold their proper rank, and the Daughters of Memory shall become the Daughters of Inspiration. Shakspeare and Milton were both curb’d by the general malady and infection from the silly Greek and Latin slaves of the sword.
¶Rouse up, O Young Men of the New Age! Set your foreheads against the ignorant hirelings! For we have hirelings in the Camp, the Court, and the University, who would, if they could, for ever depress mental, and prolong corporeal war. Painters! on you I call. Sculptors! Architects! suffer not the fashionable fools to depress your powers by the prices they pretend to give for contemptible works, or the expensive advertising boasts that they make of such works: believe Christ and His Apostles that there is a class of men whose whole delight is in destroying. We do not want either Greek or Roman models if we are but just and true to our own Imaginations, those Worlds of Eternity in which we shall live for ever, in Jesus our Lord.

I don't like his poetry, but his illustrations are really neat

"Love seeketh not itself to please,
Nor for itself hath any care,
But for another gives its ease,
And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair."

So sung a little Clod of Clay
Trodden with the cattle's feet,
But a Pebble of the brook
Warbled out these metres meet:

"Love seeketh only self to please,
To bind another to its delight,
Joys in another's loss of ease,
And builds a Hell in Heaven's despite."

>William_Blake_by_Thomas_P(...).jpg
>Thomas_P(...)

I came

"Cruelty has a Human Heart
And Jealousy a Human Face
Terror the Human Form Divine
And Secrecy, the Human Dress

The Human Dress, is forged Iron
The Human Form, a fiery Forge.
The Human Face, a Furnace seal'd
The Human Heart, its hungry Gorge."

openlibrary.org/books/OL5947860M/Poetry_and_prose.

bump

Good quote for L.M. (Lenghty Meditation)

Nice doubles.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qvx0on0Hj2I

my...

I just stumbled on this in an unrelated text (the biography of G.Bateson):

>I see you are interested in schizophrenia. In my opinion W. Blake was a schizophrenic, as shown by the Prophetical Books. But he retained enough grip on the real world to earn his living and even organize the escape of radicals. A lot of Indian schizophrenics have founded religious sects. A schizophrenic who keeps some touch with reality can be quite valuable.

>know qt who is super confident normally but is always shyish around me, speaking with a cracked voice and covering her mouth and nose when I compliment her
>one day her friend says "I think she likes you user"
>give qt nice copy of William Blake one day
>she hugs me and smiles and says thank you I love William Blake
>a week later she gets me a book of love sonnets by Petrarch
>ask her if she wants to get together
>she says yeah
>get together than weekend
>go out to eat and have a good time
>drive her home
>lean in to kiss her and she freezes
>a few slight kisses and she starts reciprocating
>start groping her breasts and can feel hard nipples
>she leans back and says I-I'm sorry I'm just not comfortable with that right now
>ask why not
>she says she's just a little inexperience and isn't ready right now
>ask what she's okay with
>she says kissing is nice
>ask if she'd like to give me head
>she looks away and says she'd rather not right now
>beg her over and over
>finally she blows me
>leave her that night
>she stops answering my calls and avoids me in public

Brokenhearted to this day.

I've seen you post this story before. You're a piece of shit.

Okay, I've read a Selected Poems to get a feel for him - where to start with the mythological stuff? Book of Urizen? America A Prophecy?

Yeah, that's pretty fucked.

That kind of sucks user but if she's a shy and inexperienced girl you shouldn't try and force her into doing something like that. If she's like a slut who doesn't want to blow you, she probably just doesn't want to because she doesn't like you, but if it's a girl like that you need to take it slow and let her get confortable before you push the envelope like that.

Probably yes, Urizen.

But you might want to digest "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" first. Not lenghty at all.

And his two works
-All Religions are one
-There is no natural religion

Might strike you as way more relevant a key to all his latter work than the Zoas themselves.

didn't he have an open relationship with his wife or something?

i saw this story like a year ago.

lmao who gets "brokenhearted" when they forced a blowjob on someone.

give me a break, that's just a teenager trapped in a mans body who still doesn't understand his feelings or self.

No his wife couldn't have children so he considered bringing another women into the relationship to raise a child. I think he wrote a lot about it.

I don't like people calling blake a hippie either, he was a spiritual titan who made some of the most powerful imagery of his time and really of all time.

Why didn't you just make out user and go home after and masturbate or something?
You fucking ruined the dream for yourself you fucking cunt.

Decent bait. If this is somehow not bait, kill yourself.

ah I see. What's your favourite poem of his out of interest?

is the 'mythological' stuff worth it? like, is it worth the effort?

>Blaked

Yes but allow yourself to lose your wit. A warning from the Ancient Bard:

"Folly is an endless maze,
Tangled roots perplex its ways,
How many have fallen there!
They feel they not what but care
& wish to lead others when they should be lead"

And Blake's quest was not at bizarre gods 'out there' but capturing the Poetic Genius, the primordial human spirit. He writes:

"(...) man forgot all deities reside in the human breast."

Blake was far ahead of his contemporaries because instead of merely describing aspects of human life, he identifies analogical ratios among sets or aspects of human life, and manages to abstract them into only Four Zoas. So far as I can think, it seems he was not making up a mere mythology at fancy's will. His work is all definable through the Albion's Zoas of Tharmas, Luvah, Urizen, Urthona; and the attributes of Hell, Innocence, Heaven and Hell. The work is on the relations these keep with one another. It all resonates and interplays arquitecturally, if not mathematically. To that extent, it definitely is worth it.

* , but DON'T allow yourself ...

thanks, ill sure stick to it. he sure looks promising.

>Knowledge is not by deduction, but Immediate by Perception or Sense at once. Christ adresses himself to the Man, not to his Reason.

theres also a shitload of studies and secondary sources... would u say those are advisable or is it better just to stick to his writings?

what's "lenghty meditation"? you misspelled lengthy, and it's just a long meditation session or is it some other practice?

desuarchive.org/r9k/thread/15847929/#15847929