Have there been any great works of art about the internet yet?

Have there been any great works of art about the internet yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

villagevoice.com/news/a-rape-in-cyberspace-6401665
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Only the ones we've made

You literally CANNOT write anything worthwhile about the internet if you are over 35 and/or do not strongly identify with any sub-cultural online communities, two conditions which nearly every worthwhile modern author meets

Not that I can think of, it evolves so fast that by the time you've finished a book it'll be significantly different.

hypersphere

I guess it's journalism rather than art, but A Rape in Cyberspace is a great article from the early 90s web

villagevoice.com/news/a-rape-in-cyberspace-6401665

Mr Bungle probaby posts on Veeky Forums

Infinite Jest did a pretty good job tbqh

memes

+2

>le zeitgeist

Why would you even want something like that?

It's a completely unexplored area for art and offers a lot of possibilities, there's gotta be some great works out there somewhere (even if they've not been made yet)

yeah but it's not in literature

it's not Veeky Forums but I thought ghost in the shell's portrayal and conceptualization of the net in the future was interesting.

Vaporwave is probably the best artistic "movement" that'll ever come out of "digital" culture of any kind.

what is the probability based on?

The internet IS the art. Whenever a writer tries to write something about the internet, it's fucking lame.

People might try to make arguments for Joshua Cohen's Book of Numbers, feel like anons tried make an argument for Tony Tulamithes Private Citizens more recently.

Book of Numbers has some meme potential but private citizens is just hot garbage.

maybe the great art about the internet will be on the internet.

Ehhhh. The Internet in IJ was much less interactive than in reality. I do think Netflix is very similar to the cartridge thing though.

I forgot that there even was an internet in it. It didn't seem to play much of a role in the book.

i thought when people talk about the internet in IJ, theyre referring to the relation between the endnotes and the main text. like when a new drug is introduced and theres data about the drug at the end of the book.

similar to how if you needed to look up what phenibut or something was on the internet.

No, I think that interlace thing is its internet equivalent.

i remember interlace, but i agree with your earlier post, it was such a small component of the book that it couldnt possibly be the internet aspect of IJ that people refer to.

all i remember is pemulis looking up a drug once. or maybe it was stice researching that quebec paper early on.

dfw was disdainful of the internet. he said that the structure(?) of the book was just the most accurate representation of the way he saw the world. in the bookworm interview i think. not exactly the internet.

i think it might be the way that IJ's endnotes lead you off on tangents (similarly to the internet). Like when there are multiple page endnotes with their own footnotes.

The internet in IJ is more important than you'd think, because it's part of the whole dynamic of things that make you feel lonlier, which was one of DFW central themes. Not just loneliness, but "activities that make you feel lonlier." Like
said, the www is more or less an interactive community, where there is an exchange of things, especially moreso than in the mid-90s. DFW talks along these lines, not necessarily dealing the internet but nevertheless, in one of his interviews (specifically with Charlie Rose, I believe).

do you think dfw would sweeten on the internet as it is now or sour...

i wasnt around for the internet in his time but stuff like textfiles.com makes me think it was p badass.

>in his time

circa when? 1995?

'95 is the latest date given on the site i posted if thats what you mean. i was born in '97. my heavy innernet usage started around '10 idk kinda an open ended question i realize dont feel pressured to answer if you dont ffeel like it my man

I recommend Umineko.

It's a postmodern mystery novel about a tragedy that happened on an island, the murderer writers fanfic stories about the murders about to be committed found post modem in the sea ala And Then There Were Non. Then a fanfic author starts adding their to the fanfics on the internet so people online bitching about the ways it should be interpreted, then they add their own mary sue detective to the internet fanfics, until they decide to make their own fanfics of the tragedy.

It gets even more meta when actual people make fanfics of the fanfic of the fanfics using the fanfic characters as their avatars.

Hypersphere is a masterpiece.

damn, i will dl umineko, i like that descrip alot man. i tried to sus out what was good VN a while back but damn was it hard. i ended up with homeless school girl, forest, and true remembrance. im pretty sure theyre all just edgier than usual vn not actually more thoughtful or anything.

anyway i like the rec. glad someone brought up vns. very good.

Finnegans Wake

All About Lily Chou-Chou

You have to remember that it was written in the early 90s. The internet was nowhere near as big then as it got by the end of each decade. Dfw was the kind of guy who still used a typewriter in the 00s, so he wasn't technologically inclined outside of entertainment.

It's a lot shittier than it might sound.

I know a video game that handles it well.

name?

>You literally CANNOT write anything worthwhile about the internet if you are over 35 and/or do not strongly identify with any sub-cultural online communities

You kids are funny. Do you expect to become utterly useless once you are pushing 40 yourself? Idk, maybe you're right, maybe you will.

As for OP's question, probably not. Give it your best shot. The market is wide open to you.

Bleeding Edge was interesting in the sense that it showed how a very old writer (Papa Pynchon being born in the 30s and everything) earnestly tried to come up with a way to convey some of the wonder of getting into an online community. IMO, he didn't really succeed, but it was a worthwile attempt, and I don't think many others did it better, up until now.

The beginner's guide's 'notes' level

He also purposely limited himself with the era of the internet he chose, which works to his advantage

>have there been any great works of art about the telephone yet?
>have there been any great works of art about the record player yet?
>have there been any great works of art about the library yet?

And to fucking top it all off, you actually mean "the World Wide Web" and not the internet.

His son wrote it though.

>what is a colloquialism

LMAO. Nailed it.

>what is being stupid and wrong

>have there been any great works of art about the television yet?

nobody says "television"

> He thinks Infinite Jest is a great work of art

Taipei, as it's the only literary fiction to even reference Veeky Forums.

I don't think he's saying people over 40 are useless, just that if you're not submerged in these types of subcultures/communities, it's odds on you won't be able to write anything compelling about them. And if you're older, you're not "born digital" and all that, you have your own metaphors and such that have shaped your perception of reality and how you see the internet. It's like reading a novel about surviving Antarctica by someone who's never been out of New Jersey.

As a veteran of the 2400 baud flame wars on CompuServe in ancient times, I can assure you that there are plenty of people well over 40 who are better qualified to comment on the interwebs than some wet-behind-the-ears whelp who thinks the world wasn't 'digital' until Mosaic came along. Have a little respect for your elders, y'all.

no