How can a brother get some good bread in the United States fuck

How can a brother get some good bread in the United States fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IhnUgAaea4M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do they even still make wonder bread?

Good bread in the US is a tough ask. Find where the rich people go for their upscale cheese and the bread won't be too far away. You will not find any bread worth eating in a typical supermarket.

No when hostess closed wonder bread died

I see them in supermarkets all the time.

Either you find a hipster district with a real bakery, or you make your own.

Hell even the worst bread-machine loaf will beat anything you can buy in a supermarket.

>beat anything you can buy in a supermarket
I always buy oatnut bread though

Can you get thick, central Eupreanesque bread from a bread machine?

No, but there are plenty of bakeries where you can buy it. Some of the larger grocery chains have their own as well and make decent stuff. I'm sure someone will chime in and say I'm wrong, but it's comparable to small bakeries and a bit cheaper sometimes.

The problem is try going to the mid-west of the country and finding a decent bakery.

If you live on the east or west coast, or if you live in a large city in the rest of the country, you're fine and will usually be able to find decent bread.

But if you live in the middle of nowhere? Good luck.

Go to the bakery. It's probably around the corner from the shelves of wonderbread.

Or you could make some and post in the bread threads like a real human bean

I live in the middle of nowhere but there's a Mennonite bakery nearby and they're fucking awesome. I can't speak for the rest of the Middle though.

Yeah, I mean there ARE of course going to be exceptions to this rule, there will of course be a few bakeries scattered throughout the middle of the country, but by and large your choices are MUCH reduced compared to someone in NYC for example with access to 15 bakeries in a 10 block area.

>Some of the larger grocery chains have their own as well and make decent stuff.
This really depends on the chain. Upscale supermarkets with in house bakeries sometimes have decent bread, but the average supermarket does not.

Right. My post was kind of shit in that regard. You have to really look around - I didn't even know about the Mennonites until a few months ago and I've lived in the area for around a year. I've always wondered if there were other small gems like this hiding in the rough, but I doubt there are.

>but by and large your choices are MUCH reduced compared to someone in NYC
This is true. You'd have to live in one of the larger Midwestern cities (Chicago, Minneapolis, etc) to really find anything valuable. Damn shame.

Live in NYC or SF

Where do Americans get their daily carb from if not from bread?

Tortillas, mostly

Americans eat a lot of bread, they just aren't all that concerned with the quality of it.

Bread, pasta, rice, etc...

America has the most diverse cuisine in the world. There's no "staple" food.

No shit? There's vastly more people per sq/mi.

>There's no "staple" food.
Maybe so, but most Americans are having some sort of sandwich most days.

burg?

Dave's Killer Bread is the only decent bread I can find in the grocery store

jesus chrise when this meme die.

go to your local bakery. commercial bakeries usually have a front shop if you don't have a retail baker. go to your supermarket. go to fucking wal mart, the supercenters have their own bakeries and delis now.

there are no less than 8 places I can go and get perfectly good fresh bread in any style I want less than 5 miles from my house

Can't fix stupid

You've never tasted good fresh bread before.

>when this meme die.
>fucking wal mart,
The kind of bread sold at Wal Mart is exactly the shut OP is trying to avoid. The ubiquity of this kind of bread is the very thing that makes finding good bread so difficult in some parts of the country.

Can we now add bread to the list of foods you can't get in the USA?
It's like the cheese, beer, wine, pizza situation all over again.

Depending on where you live in the US good bread, wine, pizza and cheese can be a challenge. Beer is easy as long as you stay away from the macros.

That's really why I started baking my own. I live in bumfuck backwater where there's 1 bakery that makes decent bread 20 miles from my house and they charge $6.00 for a normal size loaf. I can make as good quality as that for under a dollar.
I like good bread and eat a good amount of it but I can't justify driving 20 miles and paying that much for it.

>the cheese, beer, wine, pizza situation

wut?

We can't get unpasteurized cheeses that are aged less than 60 days, but other than we get everything else.

We have the best beer in the world, have decent wine and import everything else, and make every possible style of pizza.

But bread, alas, it's true is pretty shitty. People who've never been to France don't even realize how mediocre even our "high end"/hipster bakeries tend to be.

Totally depends on where you live. You can get pretty much anything you want in an affluent place in or near a major city. But the standard issue supermarket stuff in less than affluent areas is pretty grim, as squishy sandwich bread and Kraft cheese become the norm.

This one is decent for a mass produced loaf.

Hostess came back years ago, they were only gone for like 7 months

I saw them in Winco the other day.

Can someone explain to me how this Wonder Bread meme got started?

Hostess is still around.

>how this Wonder Bread meme got started

It's the sliced bread that was available in our grandparents' time. I didn't know anyone still ate it.

> this thread

Bread is bread, you faggots.

So the meme is essentially the same as dadrock?

Wonderbread is super processed, stripped of all flavor and nutrients, and the whitest of the white breads. It's what you'd give to the pickiest of picky eaters (who would then ask for the crusts to be cut off).

> the whitest of the white
Isn't that a good thing? I mean, at least it's not brown like pumpernigga bread.

Who needs Wonderbread when you got bimbo?

Also, get a bread machine and make your own. I just picked up two of them for 5 bucks total at a thrift store.

>Wonderbread is super processed, stripped of all flavor and nutrients

I thought that applies to almost any kind of bread, though.

Bread is actually quite bad for you anyway. It's loaded with the stuff that makes you fat. Why do you think some burger joints have a protein edition that substitutes it for lettuce?

Because of a retarded fad diet...

>the stuff that makes you fat

You nutrition good!

Fpbp

Veeky Forums told me to avoid the bread. Are you calling them liars? They kick your ass, nigga.

>Veeky Forums, the most obese board on this entire site
>kicking anyone's ass

Kek.

Maison Kayser seems to be taking over NY like it's going to be the next Starbucks

The bread is remarkably good for a chain bakery, you can look forward to a branch coming to a strip mall near you

F=ma

>How can a brother get some good bread in the United States fuck.

You can't, we have absolutely no bakeries in the U.S., just gigantic robotic factories that spew out bazillions of loaves of Wonder Bread all day erry day...

>Veeky Forums knows something about food

Nah, they're just really gay. Think about it; you've been to a gym before right?

What the fuck do you mean "Pizza" when modern pizza was practically invented and codified here in the US?

Roberta's in NYC
$10

yeah, couldn't sit right for a week after

>The kind of bread sold at Wal Mart is exactly the shut OP is trying to avoid.

Have you ever even been in an American grocery store?

The big ones have their own in-house bakery and all grocery stores get a hundred different kinds of bread from various local bakeries.

>their own in-house bakery

Yeah; they bake dough that's delivered in a truck, frozen, from the factory that produces it by the ton. Same shit, but you think it's high-end because it's warm.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this senpai.
I work at Publix, one of the """"better"""" grocery chain.
All of the products come in frozen, parbaked. All they do is bake it for the last ~7-10 minutes so it gets the crust.

Is store bought white bread (eg. trash) in the US sweet?
I was travelling through south east Asia last year and couldn't get over how gross the white bread was due to it having added sugar. I'd never had bread like that before and the locals told me that their bread follows American recipes

Some US white bread does have added sugar (HFCS), but it's not at all sweet like Asian style white bread.

Yeah but they're terrible. I mean yeah it's a step up from wonder bread but the stuff from local bakeries is (a) still not from particularly good bakeries (the best ones can barely meet demand within their own stores), and (b) often pre-sliced and/or a day old by the time you get to them

The problem with the approach these places tend to take is that they try to source a wide variety of loaves to meet the grocery store aesthetic (shit ton of choices and shelves overflowing with stuff). But this results in stale inventory and not every kind of bread keeps well. They'd do better by only ordering the kinds of bread that naturally have good shelf life. But if they did that they wouldn't have the "shelf of plenty" aesthetic and people would complain that this is a different bread than I got at that bakery.

I fully expect you to claim it's exactly the same, but it's not. I can taste the difference and so can a lot of people. Or maybe "oh but my grocery store is different", no. It's not. I've lived all over the country and they're pretty much all like this. The exception is the "grocery stores" that aren't really grocery stores - Pike Place in Seattle, Eataly in New York, the Ferry Building Marketplace in SF, etc.

Thanks senpai. Is the sweet stuff popular among white middle class families?

You guys will put hfcs in everything, I swear

Not him but there's a brand called Kings Hawaiian Bread (pretty sure it's not actually Hawaiian) that is loaded with sugar, and somewhat popular especially with the lower middle class.

Unless you’re getting your bread from some “artisanal” bakery and paying out the ass for it, that bread baked at Meijer and other major grocery stores and the stuff they get from local bakeries, is no different then any other bread you’re getting.

There is no profit in baking bread unless you’re doing it on an industrial scale, or charging stupid hipsters outrageous prices (for the exact same thing).

>pretty sure it's not actually Hawaiian

Nah, it's a Hawaiian kind of bastardization of Portuguese sweet bread (lots of Portuguese in Hawaii).

I currently have a 1lb loaf of rye bread ($1.69) from National Bakery in Detroit that I got from the local grocery store and it’s EXACTLY the same as the bread you’d get from any hipster bakery but for a fraction of the cost;

Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast and Soy Bean Oil.

>soy bean oil
Yeah, like I said. Not particularly good bakeries. TIL Detroit hipsters don't have very high standards. I suppose they wouldn't if there's nothing else around.

...yeah. That was the point I was already making. Supermarket bread is trash.

Make sourdough at home.

The good news is that the technology exists to make good bread in the grocery store, it just hasn't been adopted in the US (the only exception being the Maison Kayser chain)

It's not quite as trouble-free as parbaking frozen pucks of dough, but it's pretty close

The thing is with this mentality there never will be any demand for better bread, so the stores will see no reason to invest unless it starts appearing on Food Network, but baking bread is (I think) perceived as too boring for that kind of show, let alone technology for making good bread on a commercial scale with relatively unskilled staff.

Enjoy paying $10 per loaf for hipster bread that uses the exact same ingredients and is made the exact same way as the bread I get for $1.69.

I don't want your hipster bread. Like I said, your hipsters have shit taste because you live in a food desert.

Only bread that isn't 100% whole grain.

Mine isn't hipster bread, it's just bread and no different then the actual hipster bread you're paying $10 a loaf for.

Sure thing my bedouin friend. Say hi to the djinns for me.

Maybe I should finally get around to busting out the dough hook attachment that came with my Kitchenaid and make some bread from scratch and see if there is a big difference.

What kind of bread most benefits from being freshly baked compared to it's grocery store counterpart?
A plain-slicing white or whole wheat loaf?
A basic boule?
French or Italian loaves?
Ciabatta? Challah?
(Should I bother using a biga or poolish?)

Reminder that it's not about the bakeries, it's about floor. Floor quality ranges depending on the protein content. Chiabatta grade floor must contain about 13% protein, for example. But if you go through floor shelves you'll be hard pressed to find such floor, meanwhile there are whole shelves of assorted chiabattas in bread corners. Answer is assorted chemicals like Azodicarbonamide that help the dough to rise, which are harmless (inb4 (you)'s) but doesn't help the taste. Now the cheapest bread is made from livestock feed grade grain which is normally so poor in protein, the floor out of it wouldn't rise at all if not for all those wonders.
tl;dr no matter the hamhands you physically can't make your bread worse than the cheapest one from the bakeries if you use floor, yeast, salt and warm water and your dough rises without further additives.

Go to a fucking bakery, you dumbass nitwit.

American reporting.
I get most of my carbs from vegetables and fruits, but I do eat at least one piece of bread a day, but it's either 100% rye or pumpernickel, or nut and seed bread.
On occasion (when the meal needs it) I eat baguette as well.
I don't eat much pasta, maybe once or twice a month, and I eat rice maybe once a week.

It's F-L-O-U-R, for fuck's sake.
And, I agree with you. Making even a simple quick bread at home, much less a yeast bread, is still better than what you find on most supermarket shelves.

That bread's actually burnt, man.

>unironically living in flyoverland

You have no one to blame but yourself.

Thankfully I live in a major coastal city and was only giving an example.

This and pic related are the only breads without refined sugar in the supermarket, all the Americlap stereotypes are true

>refined sugar

>remove wheat bran
>remove wheat germ
>throw the naturally occurring vitamins to the animals
>dump bags of synthetic chemicals back into the seminola
>just removed these organic vitamins from the wheat
>replaced them with synthetic versions
>manufacturers are all about making their processes twice as complicated and expensive
>Americans actually believe that people will die if the vitamins aren't put in the flour, rice and pasta
>Europe doesn't do this
>nobody in Europe is dying from vitamin deficiencies
>because the vitamins are already in the fucking wheat

>refined sugar
>worrying about the sugar

youtu.be/IhnUgAaea4M

This should clear things up for you, op.

>What kind of bread most benefits from being freshly baked compared to it's grocery store counterpart?
All of the above, except maybe sweetened breads. Essentially all grocery store breads, even the fancy ones that don't taste noticeably sweet, have a lot more sugar added to the dough than is actually necessary, which is part of why they're bland. Second, any kind of bread that's produced using a preferment or starter is going to be better if you bake it yourself, because supermarket bread is invariably never given long enough to bulk ferment to develop more interesting flavor, the other main reason why it's bland (and supermarket "sourdough" is pretty much always awful, it's regular bread that's been made hyper-sour by adding ascorbic acid).

As for what you should start with, the breads with low hydration content and a bit of fat (read: classic sandwich loaves) are the easiest to master and the most forgiving of mistakes, those with high hydration and lean doughs and complex preferments (classic baguettes to rival a Paris bakery) are the hardest.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I should try 2 polar opposite recipes then and observe the differences between them. I'm thinking:
1. A "Healthy" Loaf - 100% Whole Wheat/Lean Dough/Standard Hydration
2. A "Fancy" Bread: Ciabatta - AP Flour/Enriched Dough/Rustic Hydration

Jesus christ just get unenriched food user.

I make my own flatbread because it's one of the quicker breads to make.
Buy some flower my nigerian.

>no profit in baking bread unless
>charging stupid hipsters outrageous prices
This is it exactly. My wife is an artisan baker, and we've been running the numbers on possible businesses around it for years. None of them look all that good. Bread baking is not a terribly profitable business to begin with, and the man hours involved in making bread better than mediocre at best industrially produced stuff pretty much assures the selling price has to be in the luxury food range. And she bristles at the idea that good things should only be for the rich. But the fact is that in an industrialized world good food made by hand from simple ingredients is a fucking luxury. If you want to eat bread on the level of what's in this pic you have two options: shell out the $$$ or learn to make it yourself. Because there's no way to set up a business baking that kind of bread and selling it for reasonable prices unless you're part of a Mennonite community or hippie commune where labor is practically free. In any other scenario good bread is a luxury product, and has to be priced accordingly.

Pic related. It's the 16" boule from Balthazar. It is excellent, and costs a dollar an inch.

is good bread illegal in USA? Is good bread the USA version of guns for europoors? pls respond

>. Bread baking is not a terribly profitable business to begin with, and the man hours involved in making bread better than mediocre at best industrially produced stuff pretty much assures the selling price has to be in the luxury food range.
Yet there is a bakery on every corner in a European city/village selling bread on the cheap. Maybe your wife needs to learn to get shit done faster.

>pizza has been codified
Retard

Sarah Lee whole grain.

Western Family wheat is good too.

>there is a bakery on every corner in a European city/village selling bread on the cheap.
There is a tradition in much of Europe where you pick up the bread you need from the bakery on a daily basis, Enough people balk at the idea of supermarket bread to keep local bakeries in business. In much of America that tradition never existed. Couple that with a general American preference toward squishy white bread and pretty much the only market for good bread here is European expats and American wealthy enough to have developed a taste for the good stuff.

Look at Zak the Baker in Miami's business model. He starts with some sells one day a week, only, at the priciest farmer's market in the highest per capita zip code in Miami. The prices are absolutely fine with someone who does shopping at this market, while soccer moms/trophy wives do something with their kids while pushing strollers to and from their SUVs. These are well traveled people who like the best and recognize it. He then delivered loaves to like 4 area artisan markets, one of which is a german deli, a lebanese deli, and the rest I forget? Then, the rest to specific restaurants. High end restaurants charging enough/making enough of their patrons to have the best bread in town to those who know that whatever they get will be awesome. That's all you need. Forget storefront unless your store is to serve something other than bread, but just happen to use the business as your bakery plus the other costly items you sell. He's big enough now he sells to the local Whole Foods, but it was originally only a couple of them. Slow growth.

I have no clue how much money he makes or not, but when you can and do charge restaurants what you want, in competitive restaurant situation, in an urban enough environment, I'm sure you can make it work if you live in the right place.

This shit falls apart too easily.

That's the conclusion we're coming to. For the business to work our clients are going to have to be restaurants and high end specialty retailers. We are currently in the process of putting together enough of a network of these people to launch a business.It has to involve time share in a commercial kitchen, so we need a decent network to start with or we'll just be burning money. But we live in Brooklyn and have a bunch of friends in the restaurant/purveyor industries, so connections are easy to make.