So I read his Notes from the Underground, what a depressing life this man must have had. He may be right...

So I read his Notes from the Underground, what a depressing life this man must have had. He may be right, but what is the point of over-analyzing everything in your life to the point you get sick of it? I don't like these kind of books nor do I see what they contribute to literature, it is a depressing story about a depressed man with outstanding writing skills used only for letting his negativity out.

Other urls found in this thread:

thelastpsychiatrist.com/2009/06/where_did_the_title_come_from.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I wonder what he would write about if he grew up patrician.

Great impression of a woman

It's meant to be a humorous reposte to "What is to be Done?" (the novel), which has someone saying he is an egoist and will do whatever he wants, and what he wants to make everyone happy, and he ends with, "Do you hear me, you in your underground hole?" Dostoevsky's character is supposed to be the guy in the underground hole writing a response, saying, "Fuck happiness."

I haven't read Notes, but from what I've heard it does not represent his sincere beliefs.

kekd

True. But it is a great representation of his style and some themes with certain characters.

only men here?

holla

yea

thelastpsychiatrist.com/2009/06/where_did_the_title_come_from.html

DW OP.

Read Bros K or C&P..

It's the redemption.

>being unable to separate the author from a character in his books

wew

>implying Dusty was the Ungerground man
m8

Notes isnt a biographical work you idiot

Basically just an average user here

You sound like you're just repeating something that you read...

to all those people claiming I (OP) make the mistake of confusing author with the character, think about it for a second. How could he write something like that if he did not experience something simiilar or at least experienced the thoughts? This man must have been extremely good at imagining depression or the thoughts a depressed person would have.

I like to believe Notes resembles the authors life in many ways, how else could it be so well written? Can't make that shit up

One key to being a good writer is making shit up (being creative and ingenious)

where do they get their inspiration and imagination from? their life

same with actors, always incorporating parts of themselves in the role

Notes From Underground is social critique. He didn't "come up" with the Underground Man, he identified him as a common pattern in Russian society.

sorry you couldn't read my sarcasm

I'm sorry too. Also fuck you

Am I psychotic or is Notes From Underground a comedy? I was literally screaming laughing, harder than I would laugh at a movie or something, in my office reading that book.

>I was literally screaming laughing, harder than I would laugh at a movie or something, in my office reading that book.

Oh shit, fellow redditor! When does the narwhal bacon?

how is that reddit you fucking imbecile

Screaming laughing is weird, but some moments I found a bit comedic. Dostoevsky is like that, so over the top he can be funny. My favourite writer for sure.

All these plebs even aware that dostoievsky was in prison? The book is autobiographical. Dosto would probably browse /r9k/ irl

Now YOU'RE being Reddit.

TUM really hit a little close to home for me.

No, it means you actually "got" the book. Congratulations.

Dostoevsky was mercilessly roasting nihlism.

Has anyone read this translation? Pic related

I've only read Megashark's and it was alright, but I feel like he isn't the greatest translator

>Reading different translations for the same work

You'd be better off reading his other books. If translations worry you so much, learn russian

Yes, I do the same with Pessoa. I only read him on the toilet and it has become a problem when people wonder why I am laughing in the toilet.

Dostoievsky was considered a hysterical sentimentalist by his peers. Not in the good sense. Your laughter is you realization of this, whereas your purposed obliviousness is you trying to be cool amongst tards who only ever read one of his books and know shit about the man

I have read a few of his books.

Looking for a better translation for a re-read.

Jerry seinfeld tier observations dressed up in words for hipsters who evade that definition.

spot on

Was Notes from the Underground a cringe comedy? Underground Man really reminded me of Mark from Peep Show.

... who are you and how are you reading TLP