I've completely lost all my faith in god, what's wrong with me?

I've completely lost all my faith in god, what's wrong with me?

read the Gospel of John

Nothing.

You can return to His graces by properly capitalizing the G in GOD, you blasphemer.

Enjoy

you've grown up

I concur

You post threads that aren't about Veeky Forums - LITERATURE.

My loss of faith is a direct result of becoming Veeky Forums

That's hardly possible, unless you went into specifically anti Christian philosophy at large without reading anything else.

you are possessed by demons

read the bible, save yourself

Babbies first skepticism? Maybe you're Veeky Forums but you're not /phil/. Start with the Greeks and end with Rorty.

It's time to read some Bible and pray

Do you believe in god?

Yes.

Why?

Because it makes sense that there is a god and doesn't make sense that there isn't.

Nothing. It's normal. Everyone loses faith at one point or another. Enjoy the depravity while it lasts

you read too much

but does it make sense that the God you believe is the god of the bible? That all the actions described happened as they are written? Where do you stand on Jesus (with protestants or catholics?) What about all the other Gods with similar lore that predate this specific religion? What about aspects of observable reality that do not line up with the holy texts?

>but does it make sense that the God you believe is the god of the bible?
Yes.
>That all the actions described happened as they are written?
I'm not a biblical literalist. I don't think that God rested, counted creation of the world in days and that Adam and Eve are two physical, historical persons from whom everyone descended.
>Where do you stand on Jesus (with protestants or catholics?)
I'm a Catholic.
>What about all the other Gods with similar lore that predate this specific religion?
Is religion somehow not subject to rational inquiry? Obviously, I stand with a particular as a product of that process.
>What about aspects of observable reality that do not line up with the holy texts?
Which aspects?

I am assuming since you believed in God, you believed in the story about Noah and the Ark?

tldr its not possible. In the 19th century the world's greatest ship builders tried to reconstruct an Ark and could only muster a vessel a third the length of the supposed Ark, it took years to build, and it bent in every which way.

Also people can't walk on water or turn that same water into wine or sufficiently feed thousands of people with a couple of fish.

If you worry God will send you to hell for not believing in him, ask him why he is so pretentious. accept that if you spend this life spreading some manner of joy or love, rather animosity, you aren't going to a hell because you didn't jack off Jesus and read a book.

Also love yourself.

>I'm not a biblical literalist. I don't think that God rested
Im talking more about the Jewish battles
>Which aspects?
Well the age of the world, fallibility and contradictions of the bible(where some characters die 3 different ways) generally lack of direct interactions with God(which he does a lot in the bible) people often say God does not stop free will but he does in the bible. Why is God generally mean in the bible, why does he sponsor saul and david's conquests? Where is the archaeological evidence of the Exodus?

time to get into psychedelics

>Im talking more about the Jewish battles
What about Jewish battles?
>Well the age of the world
That's not observable. Neither is it theologically relevant. There have always been different stances on this (Origen versus Augustine and also Aquinas as the aristotelian).
>fallibility and contradictions of the bible(where some characters die 3 different ways)
Which characters die in three different ways?
>generally lack of direct interactions with God(which he does a lot in the bible)
There's plenty of interactions through various apparition over the centuries. There's also personal interaction through prayer, interaction through the church, numerous miracles etc.
It's also important to note that the revelation is over so there's no need for any direct interaction.
>people often say God does not stop free will but he does in the bible. Why is God generally mean in the bible, why does he sponsor saul and david's conquests?
Why wouldn't he? This is arguing from emotion of with the sensibilities of a 21st century teen.
>Where is the archaeological evidence of the Exodus?
I don't know, it either isn't there, it is disputed or hasn't been found. The exodus happened a long time ago and they didn't really write a lot during that time themselves, it's written down oral tradition. There is evidence that they were in Egypt, but not as official slaves and not in huge numbers.

>Also people can't walk on water or turn that same water into wine or sufficiently feed thousands of people with a couple of fish.
Why not? is there some chemical limit stopping transmutation + its magic. In the bible magic is often spoken of as real
>its not possible
no shit. I'm not expert but as far as I know there is a fixed amount of water on the world and its constantly recycled. If you put 2 to animals/bug/birds/etc of every type next to each other they would take up space of a small country(forgetting their need for food, etc)
>If you worry God will send you to hell for not believing in him, ask him why he is so pretentious. accept that if you spend this life spreading some manner of joy or love, rather animosity, you aren't going to a hell because you didn't jack off Jesus and read a book.
always a good question. chick tracts never shut up about jacking to Jesus but even if punishment if fire you really have to ask if a petty tyrant who makes all of his own problems to "test" everyone like stalin in one of his purges is worthy of your worship. (and no, no one should just submit out of fear)

Im any case instead of shitposting and arguing with me or other ad nausea, read books on the subject from various perspectives.

>6.372
>So people stop short at natural laws as at something unassailable, as did the ancients with God and Fate
>And they are both right and wrong. But the ancients were clearer, in so far as they recognized one clear terminus, whereas the modern system makes it appear as though everything were explained.

>What about Jewish battles?
Well the same people seem to get genocide multiple times. number of soldiers listed is not only bigger than the region could sustain but is like the size of US military.
>Which characters die in three different ways?
Saul, if I recall correctly.
>apparition over the centuries
That is always interpretive. any fool can see Jesus in his bread toast (especially if he helps make it happen)
>There's also personal interaction through prayer
1 sided
>interaction through the church
community. Things done in Gods name are not the same as things done by God.
>numerous miracles
again subjective. not every kid that survives a drowning is a miracle.
>there's no need for any direct interaction
a new person is born every day and like every new person needs to go to school, they also would need a boost of faith.
>This is arguing from emotion of with the sensibilities of a 21st century teen.
Thanks for your condescending outlook. people love to sell how God is loving and loves all people equally. yet him giving priority to various tribes or doing/endorsing things like trickery, assault,etc do not show him in good light. If God is good than his actions must be correct and we should reverse our sensibilities or do you subscribe to Islamic outlook that God knows true good but only gives us progress in bits because "people were not ready at the time"

Egypt kept records for a lot of shit.
>themselves
Do you mean jews or the Egyptians?
>Egyptians
lets move back a bit to Genesis, do you think that given their social structure a Joseph had any chances of becoming pharaohs proxy?

I don't care what the world thinks. I care what you specifically think. I have read books on the subject, both the apologetics and critical analysis.

comfort in ignorance is not better than trying to explain the world. I don't want to worship fire and fear the night

also bit late but have you yourself read the bible?

or do you subscribe to the old outlook that the bible is not for the laity and only the church has the skill to interpret it ?

Bump

How old are you?

If you're 18-25, you'll have an existential crisis of Kirkegaardian proportions and take the final leap of faith into becoming a knight of faith within the next couple years.

switch to shinto

you started reading the greeks and began to understand reasoning and the the examined life.

There is not a fixed quantity of water on earth. There is a mostly fixed quantity of oxygen and hydrogen on earth but whether those elements exist as water or something else changes all the time. I know this is irrelevant to your argument but I'm just interested in setting the world straight on this point one person at a time.

I for one am thankful for your correction and I hope you will set many more people straight

Never try to argue with an empirical denialist. Real christians don't believe God is literally the one in the bible, but that belief systems keep us pragmatically hinged towards the objective, and that God is a necessary concept for a culture, and that the true religion is the one whose values have suffused your culture (and therefore yourself).

I'm 22, you might be right. I've always leaned towards agnosticism, thinking back it might've been out of comfort. At this point in time though I've completely come to terms with myself but I can't help feel that my relationship to the concept of a higher power is still in a maturing state.

There's a lot I don't know, I'm still learning about life and I would never fool myself into thinking that I've discovered some absolute knowledge through philosophy and introspection because I know how capricious beliefs are at my age.

What happen to the dinosaurs?

Congratulations. You've just developed critical thinking skills.

Doubting the doctrine of Christianity doesn't mean you've lost your faith.

If you read the Fathers of the church you'll see that doubt is a continuous part of being a Christian. If you don't have any doubts you're either more saintly than the saints or you've deluded yourself. Faith isn't all or nothing. Doubt is an invitation to questions. Questions are an invitation to learn more about Christianity.

If you haven't read much theology, I would recommend starting with "The Orthodox Way" by Kallistos Ware (not his more popular work, "The Orthodox Church"). Be sure you understand what Christianity truly is before you cast it aside.

If you have a good grounding in the essential doctrines of the Church, pick up some translations (if you don't read old Greek or Latin) of the ancient Fathers. Gregory the Theologian, Gregory of Nyssa, John Chrysostom, and Maximus the Confessor are all great men to read.

Good luck!

>You've just developed critical thinking skills.
Critical thinking isn't dichotomous, it's something that should permeate everything you do including rejecting ancient theologies. I've never been religious though.

Convert to Coptic, become saved

I'll check it out, thanks.

>I've completely lost all faith

>Doubting the doctrine...
>Doubting

Uh, user...

No one loses all faith. The Holy Spirit is within us.

The belief that one can "lose all faith" is a modern conception.