Tfw

>tfw

How's everyone feeling for finals?

Basically the same. Ended up taking a really easy quarter almost on accident so I have all A's and haven't bought a single book

what sort of joke class is this

what school, what class and what's the usual median/mean ?

>prof doesn't fail students for failing the final, regardless of their current grade

Get a real education, kid.

Not an undergraduate pleb shit, so I don't have finals.

Lmaoing @ ur lives.

Feminist studies
(molecular genetics)

meme state university, molgen and mean is 75 or so

I'll still study for the final, it's +/- and I want the A+

>taking a final worth less than 20% of your grade
are you in fucking high school
I've never even seen a final worth less than 40

You really think he'll answer that?

yeah, considering he just did

it's worth 30%, I've just aced all my exams and my class is full of tards so the teacher had to curve

already did

I just checked Berkley out of curiosity and in the same course it has plenty of classes where the final is less than 40%

Really makes me laugh how EUposters think they are superior because they take one exam that is worth 90-100% of the course grade. Way to put all your eggs in one basket, prob the most retarded thing you could do.

I guess that is one of the reasons why they all try and study at our "shit schools"

This

No. Not tackling a finae xam of 100% is retarded. it guarantees that every small fry and idiot is able to get a degree. No wonder you guys have too much 'academics' and grade inflation.

Let's be honest - US education IS a joke.

UCSB physics here, all my finals are 50-80% of my grade and the teachers design the tests such that the average grade is a 50 and they can curve it
life pretty much sucks

>and they can curve it
>life pretty much sucks

i'm of normal intelligence, which means that i've always received high A's across the board with zero studying, but now that I'm upper division in a good physics program, being of normal intelligence is probably going to get me C's. There are too many smart people.
3.95 GPA about to get wrekt desu

>final less than 20% of grade
wat

QM II is gonna kick my ass regardless of how much I study

Reactor Engineering shouldn't be too bad as long as I remember the models for 2-phase flow

Abnormal psychology is stupid because I dicked around and a 100 on the final will give me a 79.9 so fuck it

Relativity shouldn't be too bad, I have an A going into the final

Engineering Economy might fuck me, I don't do finance/ business bullshit, leave that to the business majors

>US education IS a joke.

Most Euro universities are extremely easy. Getting into the average EU school is slightly more difficult, but it's a joke once you're in.

It's like every school is the University of Alabama. lmfao

Just bitching for a second, WHY THE FUCK DOES HOMEWORK/OTHER THINGS EFFECT YOUR GRADE IF YOU GET PERFECT TEST SCORE!?!?

>have to score 67% on the final to pass

it's actually fucking impossible so might as well kick back and retake it in two weeks

Lol brainlet

but the online quizzes on Veeky Forums said im a genius

Because, unless you have take home exams, it is highly unlikely an exam will have problems that actually require you to seriously think through the material. The time constraint just doesn't allow for anything but systematic problems (or straightforward proofs if you are a math student). Homework on the other hand is meant to take much longer and therefore can have much more difficult problems.

Fuck me man I wish that could be me.

>gf is taking discrete math course
>first semester and 5 weeks in
>they just had their mock exam
>60%~ failed, average was about 4.0 (in US considered D?) and the Prof even graded it
>it's gonna be a shitfest like every year once the final sets in

G E R M A N E D U C A T I O N

curved*

>tfw my analysis professor used to give exams that were 100% copy-pasted homework problems without even any modifications and the average was still below 70 every time
C A N A D I A N E D U C A T I O N

>first year engineering in second biggest university in Europe
>29 years old
>walked in off the street after not being in education for 12 years
>had to learn university level maths, physics, chemistry, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering all from scratch in the space of 3 months
>lecturers are teaching from a point where they expect me to know half of the syllabus already
I can't believe how fucking hard it is.

I need a 2% on my final to pass.

That's because university (and Abitur) used to be for the cream of the generation. Now it's between fucking 30% and 50%. You're firmly in literal 100 IQ territory there; definitely no academia material. So it's prudent to weed out - and not unduly or unjustly so, since the material itself is too hard for them. Otherwise, standard suffer and everybody loses.
These people used to become crafts- and tradesmen, building a solid middle class through labor. That's gone now. Everyone's a BA now, with no knowledge or marketable skillset, starting late into their career to boot.

This , the only reason the test counts as much as it does is because it's harder to cheat on.

>that refreshing fucking feeling of hitting the end of the term, just before finals in 7 hard-as-fuck classes, and pacing around the kitchen at 1AM crunching the numbers on how badly you can fuck up the finals and still get an A+ and maintain your 4.0
>tfw you can basically skip three of the exams and take a shit on the rest
>tfw all that hard work and tedium of giving the extra 10% on assignments and never half-assing anything finally pays off
>tfw getting 93% on all of the finals anyway because you're so relaxed and breezy that the juices flow properly anyway
>tfw I miss undergrad so much sometimes

Lel

which country?

Ireland

>tfw to intelligent too fail a class

Project for 3d design: okay but I keep fucking up so I don't know how long this will take to complete
Thermal fluids final: probably shit, but not shit enough to get below a 3.0 overall
Matlab final project: haven't really thought about it much yet ;~;

Quarter pls end ty

So am I fucked if I have one "W" on my transcript? I got a 5 on the AP Calc exam and figured that Calc 2 would be the logical next step, except it wasn't and now I'm deathly afraid for my future. I could have gotten a C, but I took the W. Did I fuck up? I won't get any W's anymore.

>Thermodynamics
I need a 61% on the final to pass with a C
>Statics
I need around a 40% on the final to pass with a B
>Material science
I need a 62.5% to pass with a C
>Intro to engineering
Already got a 97.2% in the course, Final project got a 100%

I'm a little nervous about Thermodynamics, the professor has threw in a gotcha question last test that 78/78 students got wrong. although, I've done over 100 practice problems in the last 3 days so I think I will pass. I have another 40 to do tomorrow.

Thank you senpai for making me feel good about my grades

5.5 Hour Linear Algebra Exam on Tuesday, worth 70% of our grade. Needless to say I need to do very well on it

Political Theory final should be a cake

Need an A on Real Analysis final to get an A in the class, I don't think this prof understands what constitutes a good test question or even how to write a test. Shit's fucking hard man

Nah it's pretty common. I have one, having a good gpa is more important.

Okay. I've been freaking the fuck out for the last two months here. I will always drop before the deadline now.

This semester has been hard. My great grandma died (she raised me half my life), I have gone through two hurricanes, one knocked a tree into my bedroom and I had no break between summer and fall to get ready. I moved into a new house and I quit smoking, those I can blame on myself. At least my GPA will still be a 3.6 after this semester.

Annnd now I feel bad about my grades again because I have no good excuses. You rock, dude :)

We'll make it bro. Good luck!

just software engineering and circuit design

should be ok, i am more concerned with my grad school applications due soon

i just want to graduate with my 3.9 so i get fancy words on my diploma

>tfw failing medical anatomy
>tfw need to get a C final grade otherwise might get held back a year

MATLAB programming: will ace it, that class is fucking baby tier.

Calc 2: will almost certainly get an A in the class, but I'll be studying my ass of for the final.

Intro to Engineering: I have no fucking idea. This stupid class was all over the place in content, from circuits to statics to basic linear algebra, and I barely remember any of it.

Circuits 1: Easy class and final won't affect me much at all.

Physics 2: Do not expect professor to pull any punches on the final an fully expect to lose the A due to shady shit.

Calc 3: Need a 65 to get an A in the class.

Lab finals should be easy as well. 4.0 will probably be lost, but just want to keep a 3.75+ gpa for scholarships and shieeet.

Programming 1: Just need to get the hang of Pascal and get it over with the shit symbolic assembler code

Physics: Just need to work it up and i'll probably get a decent score

Electronics: fuck op-amps and diodes

Mathematics 1: fuck knows.

>tfw picrelated

Inorganic Chemistry: I just need more practice with organometallic catalysis mechanisms. Idk where I can find more sample problems online though...

Elementary Analysis: Probably my toughest final. I have all the definitions and theorems down easy, and looking at sample exams the problems seem standard, just need more to review. But I know he is gonna sneak in a 1 or 2 challenge questions with some complicated proof.

Freshman, so this is my first college semester finals.
That said, feeling alright.
Calc 2: Need 105% for an A (grading system is weird), need >30% to pass
Chem: Need 90 for an A, need much lower to pass
actually, that's pretty much all the actual finals, everything else was a project or was earlier.

Algorithm analysis: professor taught us heapsort, dijeskra, and bellmanford in a day, so gotta study those

Differential equations: I need to review sequences and series since the test will probably have stuff like airys function

UCLA

completely fucked for orgo ii, i just hope to pass so I can do the physical chemistry I enjoy

barely need to study for my physics and laboratory classes so that's nice.

>tfw too stupid to notice that this isn't a uni general thread

damn i was reading in the wrong accent

I'll probably fail all my cc courses. I stopped going to class about two weeks ago.

Do you ameriniggers seriously only have 2 or 3 classes you need to write a final in

Not great. Fell behind in two out of my four modules, need to catch up

a lot of people in my physics b.s. program only have 1 physics class this quarter
i don't understand why you would spend a whole year of your life at a great university with all these resources around you that you've paid for and only take 3 classes when you could have taken 12 in the same time period.
If you don't want to be there, then drop out. Don't pay and go and not do anything. Fuck.

calc 2: need 100% on the final to get an A
physics: need 90% on the final to get an A

Linear Alg / PDE: need an A on the final to get an A
Quantum mech: need an A on the final to get an A
Advanced mechanics: need an A on the final to get an A

>your grade being anything other than what you get on the cumulative final
Why is this allowed?

quarter system so yes

In my calc class, you have to score higher than a 75% on the final to pass the class. Doesn't matter if you got a perfect score on the homework and two midterms...

SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT

Making the final exam dictate the whole course grade would make classes easy as shit senpai

Only if the final exam is easy.

>worth 30%
>implying your pre-final grade is 108%
If that's true then the course you're taking is a joke

Optics final will be easy
Diffeq/complex anal should be alright, need to study (skipped 80% of lectures and hws without learning it sometime other than before exams)
Quantum should be alright i just need to learn everything
Biochem idgaf about desu senpai

The worst semester until now.
I passed statistical physics, radiations and digital electronic with mediocre score.
I failed optics.

>got in a bad accident this semester and had a traumatic brain injury and missed almost 2 weeks
>already struggling as a Sophomore engineering student with 2.84 gpa
> IQ of 131 but ADHD is such a bitch
Physics and Dynamics test tomorrow that I'm just starting to study for because my time management skills are so shit and I procrastinate so much.
Extremely unprepared for all 4 finals and might lose my scholarship that I almost lost last year

Fuck my life

Gotta pass the final to pass the course cuz I'm getting like 50% right now. Fucking hate this feeling god damn

Orgo: orgo is a meme and i have a high average already so i'm not very worried

Biochem: prof uses book questions for exams (i don't think many people in my class have figured this out--there are also a bunch of Mulignans in my class which lower the average which is nice)

Pchem: last bit of material is on group theory and symmetry which i know very well from my crystallography class. Only worry is that most of his exam questions need a paragraph and diagram for the answers and i can't fucking write / draw fast enough. The angry, tumblr-flavor feminist TA doesn't help either.

Language class is a take-home final because lol the professor thinks 2 hour exams are too much for us to handle (lol).

Writing seminar is just a portfolio of everything we've written which is trivial to put together.

I'd take the - over the + any day. Shows you have a life if you have other stuff going for you

Hello there,

I'm not from a country where many mathematics are taught but I recently moved to North America, I am 26 and have been wondering how to master trigonometric identities. No specific difficulty level. What is the trick?

Thank you.

I meant to post this as its own thread. Sorry.

man, I have like a low d in my calc 1 class
I've always scored in the 90's on language and shit but goddamn i'm math retarded

apology not accepted Jackie Chan

I was even in the like gifted & talented shit in math up until middle school
then because I had behavioral problems I had to bully my seventh grade teacher into placing me in advanced math (algebra) when no1 was around
since then, I've written random shit on every test and homework assignment until college.

that's gen urobuchi you autist

>implying they don't look similar

get fucked brainlet

now kith

>need a 55% on final to get an A--> genetics

Modern or classical physics 2?

i.e. Do your experiments involve coding?

can someone explain to me how grade curving works?
Like if people sit a final and the average is 37/100, and the grade gets curved, what happens to everyone's grades? what happens to the person who gets 95/100, do they benefit or get fucked over?

What the fuck, over five hours? Where on God's green earth are you going to school user.

I'm taking Physical Chemistry 1. There are two test, both worth 2 each, the quiz average which is worth 1. The Final is worth 3. Last time I checked, my which average was 3.5 of 10. I got a 25 on the first test and a 58 on the second test. A 55 is a C in the class, 45 is D AND PASSING. 1 + 2 + 2 + 3 = 8. From how it works out, if I get at least above a 50 on the Final, I pass the class WOO!

There is also the Instrumentals Final where I need to start preparing my "cheatsheet", which basically involves rewritting ALL of my notes since the first test. Didn't do so hot on the first test, so I hope to do better this time. More worried about pchem though.

There is also the anthropology final. I'll wing it and probably get a B+ in the class. I'm not sure but I don't think there are any finals for either of my labs. I audited my biochemistry class so I don't give a fuck about it.

That's how I stand for my courses this year. I hope Anthropology can save me.

Dont worry. Only Americans need curves because they're stupid.

If you can get a 48 and get a 90, your school is a joke. Your final should be at least 33% of the grade, not this joker 20% nonsense (assuming you have around 100% right now, and your class isn't even more of a joke than I think it is).

I got 100 on all my exams, and I was curved up significantly thanks to brainlets.

>I'd do worse than my potential because everyone would know that I didn't try my hardest
wew lad

Depends. In some of my classes they don't curve, in others they curve everyone below an A up, and in others they curve everyone equally.

It's not the hardest class in my degree, but one of the more difficult ones for sure.
I already said I went to meme state

how can you tell what grade you`re gonna get? our average for mult. variable right now is 50%

Know your current grade and what the final is worth

Data Structures: 60% on the final for an A
Unix Fundamentals: 80% on the final for an A
American Government: 65% on the final for an A
US History to 1877: Final already taken, 98.5% overall grade.
Linear Algebra: Lowest grade all semester was a 99 on the second test, 100s on everything else, Prof. uses the final as a "replacement exam", replacing your lowest test score, completely optional. Either it was a joke class (but class avg is ~80) or I'm good at maths (haven't had a math class in 10 years, going back to school in my 30s).

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Next semester is gonna suck tho: Algorithms ("gateway" class for uni's comp sci program, 60% fail rate), Advanced Database (did fine in Database I but teacher says this one is a serious step up), and Networking Fundamentals (trash prof that doesn't teach but tests the fuck out of students anyway) and some gen-ed bullshit astronomy class that I will sleep through for an A.

Electromagnetism: 60% for an A
Signals and Systems: 60% for an A
Systems Design: 70% for an A
Semiconductor Physics: Already took it. Got an A- ;_;

Wish I had the American scale.. where I go to a 96% is A... and a 90 is a B...

user how much I wish I had your scale.

what's the average grade?
what country?

>10+ pt curve
tfw never had those profs

first year CS?