Are we currently going through a magnetic dipole reversal?

Are we currently going through a magnetic dipole reversal?

Current estimates show that the magnitude of earth's dynamo has decreased by 9% since 1840, and in 1900 years from now, the magnitude will be zero, which is exactly what you'd expect for a magnetic dipole reversal. They happen randomly, but on average they happen once every few hundred thousand years (it's been over 700,000 years since the last one) and it takes a few thousand years for the current magnetic field lines to diffuse out so that the new ones can be replaced.

Am I misunderstanding something or is it happening NOW?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iQEzbael1vA?t=4316
cronicajalisco.com/notas/2015/57777.html
lagranepoca.com/ciencia-y-tecnologia/87665-inversion-magnetica-de-polos-terrestres-ultimos-datos.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I guess that there are always random fluctuations in the strength of earth's magnetic field, but still, we are pretty much due for another reversal. And if the magnetic field does go to zero, the humans living on the planet at the time will be fucked.

I don't think it flips all at once. Reversed pockets appear, disappear, stick around, eventually outnumber the normal ones then your poles have officially flipped.

watch this

youtu.be/iQEzbael1vA?t=4316

though I posted the video url saved at 1:12:00 it started it at the beginning so fast forward to 1:12:00 to get what I was trying to convey

What is it that you are trying to say?

this research suggests the pyramid and Sphinx aligned with other ancient monuments show this has happened in the past and may occur regularly at a time which might be indicated by the giza complex orientation toward the zodiac.

In what way? How long could we survive?

How does that alignment indicate a magnetic reversal though? Not to mention all the ancient monuments it doesn't align with. The vid doesn't really explain how they make that connection

Idk, I just know that we'd be exposed to a ridiculous amount of radiation from the Sun, which is normally blocked by earth's magnetic field.

back 2 /x/

so the ancient monuments listed form a straight line around the globe which they hypothesized used to be an equator a then showed where magnetic north would have been at that time relative to where it is now.. suggesting there was a catastrophe indicated by the inception point of the "calendar' created by the Sphinx if it were pointing at Regulus when it was first built.. suggesting that was meant to indicate the time when that shift occured..

What I don;t recall is at what intervals they suggest this whole system is saying was the period.

The Zodiacal cycle is 26,000 years so if there was some cyclical property to the cause of such a pole shift you just look at where the Sphinx is now relative to when it pointed at Regulus ... unless there was some additional factor indicating a fraction of that cycle

Spanish information.

>cronicajalisco.com/notas/2015/57777.html

>lagranepoca.com/ciencia-y-tecnologia/87665-inversion-magnetica-de-polos-terrestres-ultimos-datos.html

>hypothesized used to be an equator
>inception point of the "calendar'
>Sphinx if it were pointing at Regulus
>catastrophe
Wouldn't this be explaining a hypothesis using multiple sub-hypotheses? I do believe there were alignments with stars and ancient sites, but its really hard to find any information other than anecdotes and UFO buffs with google.

did you watch the video? try watching it... it makes the case very plainly

When it does reverse, I wonder how long it will take for the piezoelectric alignment of magnetized mantle to match the new field prevailing regime.

I imagine volcanism may be affected but we'll just have to wait.

>we'll just have to wait
Flux distribution and rate of change

Humanity won't die out as the poles flip. There's certainly going to be more high energy particles reaching us, but we've got a reasonably thick atmosphere that will take the brunt of it.

>considering earth's magnetic field actually works that simply.

rather than trying to think what will happen, let's rather look what happened.
If you look at the magnetic timescale you can see all the inversion that happened during earth's history. It is pretty well constrained especially for meso and cenozoic (from 250 My to today) so it can be trusted. and if you watch closely, none of those inversion is correlated with bio crisis. So I don't see why an inversion now should fuck us up so much

Magnetic field cannot affect the mantle's convection. The order of magnitude is way smaller to have any influence at all. What could actually happen, is that, assuming inversions are due to changes in outer core convection pattern, those changes could affect the very little known phenomenon at the CMB (like, maybe changing the positions of LLSVP or superswells), and thus alter mantle's convection. but considering the respective characteristic times of magnetic inversions and mantle convection, the signal would be very noisy and quite hard to correlate.

>what is ozone

>I imagine volcanism may be affected
Yes, and earthquakes as well. People in a rapid change zone should carefully look for precursors of geological activity.

>advanced ancient civilization on earth
>coincidentally went for almost identical names for twelve arbitrarily chosen 30° divisions of celestial longitude
Oh gee, sounds like a pretty sound theory.