I made Hungarian Goulash with Hot Paprika I bought off Amazon...

I made Hungarian Goulash with Hot Paprika I bought off Amazon. I have no idea if it's authentic or not because I've never had it, and I don't know any Hungarians.
Tasted pretty good though..

what makes you think it was hungarian goulash then? did you even had recipe? and why do you come here to brag about your fucking tomato sauce?

I parsed about a dozen "Hungarian Goulash" recipes based on what I had on hand. There is not one tomato in this dish.

1/2 hungarian here

we don't use the hot paprika here, but you can if you want. Goulash is pretty straightforward. i wouldn't get bitchy like a texbro complaining about beans in chili.

Don't be a jerk.

Lots of recipes (at least in Hungarian, anyway) have tomato. Not all. And it's not a point of contention for Hungarians with a Tomato v. No-Tomato feud like in Texas with Beans v. No-Beans. Some people add it. Some people don't.

Where is "here?"
Many Hungarians use csípőspaprika daily. Others don't. And it's not really a regional thing, either. The use of csípőspaprika is common throughout the country to the point where pubs keep bottles of it at the table right along the salt and pepper. If you would like to try it but can't find it where you live, you can mimic the flavour of csípőspaprika to some degree by mixing fine Korean chili powder with a little pink paprika or, if you can't get pink paprika either, regular ol' sweet paprika.
What isn't too common in Hungary is /smoked/ paprika. It's not unheard of but it's not an everyday thing, either.

I'm glad you tried to make something new. How did you make it and did you like the results? And don't worry about authenticity too much. There are variations of the dish even in Hungary and some people joke that the way it's done in some region other than their own is 'inauthentic.' Unlike the chili debate in the US, though, it's all good natured. Basically, none are authentic except your family's.

i can't say i've ever had it, but it looks good.
would try it.
throw the recipe up here so i can see if it's something my family would enjoy. i'll search up other recipes in the mean time.

That looks like liquid red diarrhea. Would not eat.

i used to make it as a college student as a way to mix it up from making beef stews all the time.

>I'm glad you tried to make something new. How did you make it and did you like the results? And don't worry about authenticity too much. There are variations of the dish even in Hungary and some people joke that the way it's done in some region other than their own is 'inauthentic.' Unlike the chili debate in the US, though, it's all good natured. Basically, none are authentic except your family's.

I bought the paprika off of Amazon. I sauteed the meat, onions, and garlic in oil until the meat was browned and the onions were tender. Then I added three tablespoons of the paprika and sauteed for another minute.

Then added 4 cups of beef broth and set that to simmer for an hour and a half. Then added carrots and potatoes for another half hour.

This is day two, and it tastes much better, as most recipes said it would.

Will definitely make again.

goulash is colloquially used as a word for a mixture of whatever

if you made a stew, you probably made a goulash of sorts

try marjoram

> it's not a point of contention
of course there is no fucking contention at fucking all
goulash, my dear slant-eyed neighbor, pre-dates the discovery of the Americas by AT LEAST 500 years. there cannot be any tomato in traditional goulash
carry on

> sauteed
> garlic
I sure fucking hope you don't ever do that
also where is your fucking tarragon
there is no goulash without tarragon

Every "authentic" Hungarian Goulash recipe I consulted would beg to differ with you, user.

I am Hungarian and I can promise you that looks nothing like the traditional Goulash that is served in my country

I am Hungarian, this has nothing to do with us.

I am Hungarian, and I just came in here to post this.

I am Hungarian!

thanks. i do think i'll try it based on my research and this. maybe ill treat it like gumbo and let it sit over night before i serve my brats.

from my experience, no dish is ever authentic. i mean nothing. it doesnt matter, because some fucking cunt will come up and say

>WELL IM X ETHNICITY AND I CAN TELL YOU WITH AUTHORITY THATS NOT AUTHENTIC

im hungarian. when i was little my mom made a potato and sausage stew like every other fucking day in our little village called miske with like 1000 people and we called it gulyas.

then i come to america and i have some niggers saying this goulash isnt authetic, that goulash isnt authentic, its not supposed to have sausage, its supposed to be like this or that etc. they can suck my dick, i ate goulash all the fucking time

What your mom made sounds like goulash to me. My mom basically made the same thing

>of course there is no fucking contention at fucking all goulash, my dear slant-eyed neighbor, pre-dates the discovery of the Americas by AT LEAST 500 years

You realize what Paprika is made of right?

To OP (and the Hungarians), goulash means different things to Americans, to Austrians to Hungarians...the common theme is sweet paprika, but it varies from goulashzuppe to what Americans would call a thick stew served as a main, to some kind of pasta-tomato-beef casserole served in schools aka chili-mac to some people. It varies.
In Hungary gulyas doesn't vary _that_ much in thickness really, just varies in the spice rations, with some liking wine, caraway, bay leaf, different root vegetables like turnips, potatoes, and different kinds of mild peppers, etc. But it's more on the thick soup consistency and it could contain as much as half a can of Szeged sweet paprika. If you make it often you'd find a source to get it in fresher and in larger quantities. Beef, but also pork fat. It's really delicious. Looks good OP. I l;ike a goulash with a little sauerkraut in it.

Well neither can there be paprika then.

Would Magyars complain as much about inauthentic goulash if Americans called it "porkolt" instead?

Hungarian female homecook here. Looks too watery and loose the scalions.

Basically you want to brown as much onions as you have beef or mixed pork and beef. Add dried paprika (sweet if you have kids, hot if you have Hungarian kids or mixed in case you pussy out), add meat, salt, pepper or peppercorns, bay leaves, brown the meat a bit, add water to almoust cover it, put lid on, when boils reduce to low and forget about it. It should be thick and fork tender

Of course serve it with hand made noodles or palenta (cooked corn flour poridge) or mashed potatoes. Eating it on it's own it's too strong and wrong

>hurr durr looks watery
>no mention of using bone-in meat only then manually removing the meat from the bone and re-adding it to the pot
Yeah, you're about as Hungarian as baseball.
It's meant to be watery. It's a soup. It's the foreign versions which are thick.

Depends on the dish. What OP posted seems more like the Polish version (Lengyel gulyásleves) than Hungarian. That's not to say the Polish one isn't eaten in Hungary, too. It is. But it's a cheat's or bare-bones variant since the proper one takes a lot more time to make because you're typically using a whole joint of meat like a shoulder or a section of upper thigh.

lolno

Garlic is used in every variant of it that I know of, even foreign types, and tarragon isn't used in any of the ones I know. I'd notice if tarragon were used because I really dislike the stuff.
Are you thinking paprika gravy, maybe? That rarely has garlic and isn't uncommon to have tarragon in it.

>tomatoes aren't from hungary!!!
Neither are paprika. The fact remains that both are used in Hungarian cooking quite a lot. There's even a dish that uses both in huge amounts called lecsó.

Yeah, definitely sounds like the Polish one. Not too far off the mark, but without knowing the proportions, I can't say much more except that there are a few ingredients most people would add that you left out and a few other ingredients many others would also include that you don't. Why not herbs? Parsley and/or herb celery are most common to add. Or lovage, if you can get that where you live (I know it's uncommon in many parts of the world).

I like to add capicola to my goulash.

It's not a fucking soup you twat. If you were ever close to Eastern Europe you would know what we call soup. Thick skulled monkey

Porkolt is basically just goulash without any of the vegetables, so no. Pic related is what the porkolt my mother and grandmother made looked like. You just break off a big ass piece of bread and eat it with that. What OP made doesn't look like either of these

I have nothing to say other than I would definitely like to try your soup, OP, and that I like the way you sliced those scallions.

>3rd gen hungarian immigrant
>hung-aryan grandparents frequently made dinner

gulyas is thick, yours looks soupy
also where are the beaten + buttered egg whites