Norwegian Wood

Despite how most people on this board dislike Murakami, can we talk about pic related? I just finished it. I felt that Murakami gave the book over to sex too much at times, Especially near the end. Anyway, what di you think about this book? (If you've read it)

Yeah the song's fire

Haha yeah, I agree.

murakami is maybe my favorite writer of sex scenes.
I do think norwegian wood is probably the most powerful of his shorter novels, and I could talk about it at length. not really sure what it is you want to talk about about it.

Oh, I completely agree. Those scenes certainly made me "feel". However, the ending sexual interaction with .... just bothered me. It felt unnecessary, and I believe it ruined how Murakami set up their relationship in the earlier parts of the novel.

I'm happy to have a longer discussion about it! I think this is a good space to ruminate and discuss the novel.

dude ennui and harems lmao

Right?! I couldn't help but get vibes of that in various passages. It felt (and I can't believe I'm using this word) "impure" alongside some truly brilliant and insightful passages.

The part where Midori jacks him off then takes off her panties to give to the guy to clean his dick with is pretty damn hot.

>However, the ending sexual interaction with
I felt the same way.. I thought that was unnecessary.

A lot of the situations with Midori were interesting/comfy, however didn't like the lying part.. that bothered me a lot.

The best part is probably the bit at the beginning about the place where there supposedly are holes and you can fall into one at any time and just disappear forever... Coming from a girl who later commits suicide that was a pretty moving passage.

Back when I was in college, and still a fucking an overly emotional faggot, I gave this book to the women I was in love with at the time. She said that she had heard of Murakami before. God damn, I thought this book would be a good read for her. I haven't really talked to her since. I wonder if she ever read it. Perhaps we'll never see each other again. But I really hope she's read it.

this book sure gave me wood

It's a great pre-lit/post YA book. I don't mean that as an insult or anything, I read it when I was 19 and loved it. It's tempting to come back to but I don't want to spoil my memory of it.

I gave this book to my current girlfriend a while back when I first met her. She read it back then which was pretty dope since she isn't really a reader.

'Firefly' is better.

mayoi hell when

why do people hate murakami here?

He's been described as a writer who writes for "women and disillusioned cucked men." (I'm paraphrasing some of the things of seen on this board). Why this has anything to do with his literary merit? I don't know.

wtf i love hachikuji

Because his actual writing in japanese is garbage, the only reason his books are possibly worth reading in the first place is his english translator.

The part was unnecessary, considering that his "relationship" with Midori was mostly her leading him on. It was satisfying to read. As for the film adaptation, it makes sense that they would omit the Midori scene and keep the one at the ending. Seems more realistic that way.

How'd she like it, friendo?

He writes more cringe-worthy metaphors than a first-year writing student.

"The silence between us was as deep as a canyon filled with glaciers at the quietest part of night" type shit.

Anyone else feel that his books would make great visual novels, like with multiple endings ranging from better to worse? His most popular work is probably the only one where the protagonist doesn't end up alone at the end.

Besides this one and Sputnik, do many other novels contain the phone-booth motif near the end? "Where are you now?"