Other urls found in this thread:

fourhourworkweek.com/2009/07/30/speed-reading-and-accelerated-learning/
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=DE996F5980B56A5CB7E17DA3372D2707
amazon.co.uk/Remember-Everything-Read-Stanley-Frank/dp/0380715775
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>100 pages
>implying that is commendable

450+ pages here, get on my level, fag.

He's not implying that it's commendable. No one cares about how many you read a day faggot.

Anyway OP, maybe it's because of things like distractions getting in the way. Or maybe it's because you've taken to reading more difficult material so you've been reading slower.

>frogposter
it's probably depression

At 450 a day, you're either an unemployed NEET, have a limited social life, or you have a job in an industry where you get to read.

Most people don't have time for more than 30-100 pages a day.

It's Lupus

It's called a high reading speed, nigger.

Also, I read for 3 hours a day.

It's never Lupus.

it was, though. That one time.

woah, impressive.
teach me your ways, master!

SO MUCH PAGES!!!
OOOOHHH

You should be awarded with a medal or something.

24 seconds a page. How do you do it? I'm at around 1.5 minutes a page on average. Sometimes a little higher, sometimes a little lower. If I go any faster, I find I have to reread lines.

You should be able to read at least three words at once without taking your eyes off the word in the middle.

For example,

Then he said, "

Here, you would read just the "he" and you would also be able to read the other two words. You just need ot practise nad get this higher and faster. I get around 5-6 now, which is great.

Also, don't move you eyes over every line. Take short hops over each third word (Or whatever you're comfortable with, I skip 5 words.)

Sentence:

- - - - - . - - - - - . - - - - - . - - - - - . - - - - - . - - - - -

Here, the dashes and dots are the words but the dots are the words that you stop at.

Also, stop subvocalizing (ie, reading the book in a voice in your head) and head to the next line immediately after finishing the current line.

fourhourworkweek.com/2009/07/30/speed-reading-and-accelerated-learning/

how do you stop subvocalizing?

Actually, fuck that website.

Download this book from genesis:

Remember Everything You Read

I don't remember the author, but I'm sure you can find it.

Go to the doctor because you might have ADHD.

Just don't read it in your head, try to glaze your eyes over it and try to understand it.

I don't know if this works or not, because I kind of forgot about subvocalizing while I was learning to read fast and then when I remembered it I wasn't anymore. It literally "just happened".

I know someone with that reading speed. He burns out of reading every couple of weeks due to laziness and demonstrates literally zero literary insight.

Reading speed was irrelevant because literally all he'd ever talk about is how many books he read in a week.

Don't be that kind of insufferable faggot.

I don't just glaze over the words, I understand them.

Read this book:

^

what the hell.
what you call subvocalizing is everything in reading. I dont think you can stop it without losing meaning and depth, and also worsening the experience of reading.
why on Earth would I even consider doing that just to increase reading speed.

When I have to read fast (cause I need to deliver some kind of work commenting the book I have to read), I stop ''subvocalizing'' unconsciously, also that thing about jumping four or five words at a time, I do that too.

But when Im reading for the sake of it, no way im going to worsen my experience by trying to do it fast. Or slow (which is also a mistake).

After a while, It doesn't feel fast, it feels normal.

Also, you'll understand that subvocalization actually hampers your experience when you get rid of it.

You should at least try, once.

>Also, you'll understand that subvocalization actually hampers your experience when you get rid of it.
wew, I meant that subvocalization is bad and not the other way around.

Thank you, Im not interested.
Reading speed is not a priority for me.

>access blocked by the high court
Fucking epic, we 1984 now. Is this the book? amazon.co.uk/Remember-Everything-Read-Stanley-Frank/dp/0380715775

testing

Not interested. I'm capable of reading pretty fast myself. I'm just saying that, for another speed reader who shares your speed, he's never once been able to demonstrate a modicum of literary insight into anything he reads.

Just a cautionary tale from one user to another: don't be a fucking tool about your reading speed.

You read a lot of the stuff that you really wanted to and now it's turning into a chore.

>chore
What does Veeky Forums do when they're reading an acclaimed classical book but just not enjoying it? I'm reading memoirs from the house of the dead, and am 100 pages in. It's just not that enjoyable thus far, I feel like I could be reading something else, but more than one third of the way in I'm reluctant to abandon it. What do? I hear there's a really iconic scene with the prisoners bathing or something further into the book.

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on Veeky Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

You should try it once, you will spend WAY less time on books.

Which country are you living in?

I'm not, I'm literally posting in a thread abotu reading speed abotu my speed, it's not like I started the thread.

Is that becoming a meme?

This is the stupidest thing I've read on Veeky Forums today (granted, I've only been browsing for ten minutes). Don't do this. Don't be like this guy. Read your twenty pages, or read two and then reread them. Use the voice in your head or use the voice in your throat and declame the whole thing. If you like a book, why would you read it as if you can't wait to be rid of it?

yet another user who has no clue that speed reading does not mean you sacrifice comprehension.

It has been one for at least one year

Scotland.

Speed reading is the worst way to experience literature. Go chug a 200 dollar bottle of wine. No difference. Kill yourself.

>450+
>literally does nothing but read
>deplorable ass neck beard looking

I read Moby Dick in two weeks with 20-50 pages a day, real methodically, and I bet I got more out of that than you did speedreading 10 books.

well you have clearly sacrificed comprehension at some point because that user was clearly talking about pleasure, not comprehension.

pfft i bet you guys chew on your food like chumps. i eat so much faster since i started sticking a pipe down my throat. with this technique i have managed to sample all the world's finest foods in record time. i bet you're jealous.

>Remember Everything You Read
>I don't remember the author

Fairly new to reading here, when you say you read it methodically, what exactly do you mean? What sort of notes do you take and what are your methods?

ITT: people who refuse to believe that perfect comprehension is possible even at thigh speeds

Thanks for the advice, friend

Moby Dick is a particularly dense book and I can't read fast through a book if I can't catch a rhythm. The tempo breaks when I run in to a sentence I don't understand. There were a lot of those in MD. So I would slowly make my way through. Soaking each sentence and would obsessively look up each word I didn't know. Every figure of speech that went over my head, look it up. Whaling or shipping term, look it up. When you do this, especially with writers like Melville, your speed crawls down to a halt almost. All the same I think it was worth it. 5 pages with breaks in between, 50 pages or so a day and I feel like I've done the book justice.

>here in my garage

I want to believe it user. Sell me on this book: I have always felt like it is possible for me to get a lot more out of books than I already do now, maybe this is it.

Move your eyes faster than your mind can 'speak'. Or try humming.

this is all fake
just read like normal whatever that is to you

there are hundreds of books that are classics so that's not a reason to force yourself...if you really aren't into it move on to something else, you can go back to this at any time

nice pasta

Who else 50 pages a day master race

it depends what i'm reading
i can read 100 pages an hour easily if i'm reading elmore leonard
if i'm reading dostoyevsky it's more like 30 pages an hour

this

>tfw I take 2-3 minutes a page when I'm reading well

I end up caught in a loop where I try to read, get caught on some detail of how exactly the scene described is going or the exact semantics of an everyday word, and get frustrated with how long I'm taking and stop. I remember hearing someone describe reading a Haruhi light novel as taking as much time as watching Disappearance and I felt so fucking retarded.

>implying a page is a standardized unit
>implying the pages of one book are comparable to another's
>implying word count isn't the true measure of comparison

>skimming over pages
>calling it reading

I'm aware of this, I'm just not keeping wordcount when I read so I get a rough idea via pages.

The sad thing is I already know all this, but my mind still freaks out and thinks it didn't "really" read something. It's like OCD or something.

Using marijuana and/or alcohol from a young age (before 21) can seriously effect your ability to focus and plan.

This got me started months ago.
Reading is now a habit.

God bless you user. Good books ASK you to subvocalize it. How can you enjoy a good dialog, a good poem, being a big part of it the way it sounds? Or the KJB, that one of their worries when translating was how it sounded? Take your time and ENJOY the books.

For me, it depends on what I'm reading. I'm reading Paradise Lost right now and the most I have managed is 56 pages in a day. When I read lighter novels (most recently The World According to Garp) I did 180 no problem when I had the time.

I watch movies at double speed because it's more efficient and it's not like I'd miss anything anyway

>user reading at incredibly high speed.png

I only read about 50 pages a day, user. It's okay, we got busy with life. Reading is more of a past time. We still read more than most people, I assume.

Underrated post.

>high
it's

>hihg

just read it, it's not like it's a long book. It's a hundred pages or somethign like that.

bet you post on /tv/, too.

It depends on the plot and style.

I got these odd bouts where I'll hunger to read, going through 2 or 3 books a week for a month. Then I'll burn out and barely read a book a fortnight.

yeah you read 30-50 pages then get distracted by phone and forget

this is what i tend towards
but theres a lot of variability. sometimes i hit 10, sometimes 250.