Writing is Hard

Who /write every day/ here? How long did it take before you were popping out stories like it was nuthin'? Been at it a few days and man, it's rough. I'm getting words down but they don't lead anywhere. They have no sense of direction.

You need to wait until you feel like writing and have something to write about. There's a reason most great literature takes years to write.

I have things to write about. I'm an opinionated prick. I just have difficulty thinking of ways to dramatise my ideas.

As for "waiting" for inspiration, or whatever, I did that a few times in my teens to varying degrees of success but (1) those moments of inspiration are becoming far less frequent as I get older and (2) essentially every writer I've seen speak on this topic says you should get into the habit of writing every day whether you're inspired or not.

When I first began it took like two weeks of me just writing down pages of describing how frustrated I was that I couldn't think of anything. Finally an image came to mind. I threw that idea out a week later. But basically your experience sounds normal although you're probably trying too hard. Keep it simple. Creating characters is better than inventing plots and is more fun. Of course read more and also try to think about yourself and what other people think about you, what they like and dislike and so on. Invent new histories for yourself and the people you know. Explore what you want to know about. It gets easier. But most importantly keep it simple, write sentence by sentence.

You have to accept that you won't like everything you write. You can't just sit down and plop out gems every time. Mostly you're going to sit down and plop out exactly what you'd expect.

Do you continue to write every day? Do you notice yourself improving? How often do you write complete stories that you're proud of?

Yep, writing is the hardest fucking medium. As someone who had worked in every medium, I can tell you it is the hardest.Everything else can be easily be bullshitted and accomplished by fakes. film, music, painting.
Writing you can't bullshit.
You can't hide.
There's nowhere to hide.

No I stopped writing in order to read more. If you have enough time do both, I unfortunately can't at the moment. Although sometimes I'll write a paragraph or a prose poem just to see where I'm at. I can tell a large difference than from my start although I'm still not great. I've completed two stories but they were from my early writings and they Suck. I dont plan on completing anything soon, I'm just working on the sentence level right now.

Really now.

>started browsing Veeky Forums and reading last december
>writing my first story now
I can already tell it's going to be trash, but it's nice I actually developed a want to write. I used to think I'd never bother writing anything of my own.

>a few days
Wow OP, if you didn't get good by now there's no chance. Give up

I no longer enjoy writing.

Congratulations, you're one substance dependency away from patricianhood.

lol, I've written stuff before but only in short intense bursts. This is the first time I've written across consecutive days, i.e. simulating what it would be like to actually write for a living. And shit's hard.

Don't worry about writing all the time. Worry about writing well (and actually continuing with one story until it's finished).

>Writing you can't bullshit.
>You can't hide.
>There's nowhere to hide.

I read this in Bojack Horseman's voice. It just seems like something he would say.

Stealing this.

This is writers often don't get gud until their 30's or later, and why musicians write classic albums while in highschool.

>I'm an opinionated prick

You can't write.

> Write something every 6 months
> Finish it in a week
> Always a huge improvement over my previous work

Why even bother doing it ever day if I improve when doing next to nothing?

Except that's the most horseshit thing I've ever heard, something one of my undergrads would say in a story trying too hard to sound deep. Writing you can bullshit all you want. Fiction, and even non-fiction, are the art of creatively bullshitting in someway, in the direction of an idea or a truth that isn't bullshit. But you, the writer, can hide.
>inb4 muh everything is autobiography in some way

I don't write fiction.

Good for you.

You can't steal that. Somebody else wrote it. Even if they only saw the words in their head, it was real. For them. You ... People like you should just hang themselves. I'm sorry, okay, I know I shouldn't say it out loud, but everybody was thinking it, am I right?
I mean ... am I?

Try finding a daily routine that works with schedule that puts you in a writing mood, then start off by writing a paragraph a day, more if you feel like it but always type at least one paragraph a day and never stop. Then once you're in a habit of writing every day you'll start feeling more comfortable and soon one will turn to two, two to three and so on. I mean hell It used to take me about a month to finish a 4 page short story and now I could do that in a week.

>every medium

I do agree on some level but writing has always been filled to brim with shit. Ever since the invention of the printing press, people have been using it to mass produce garbage that might make them a penny. Translating vision effectively through any medium takes time.