What programming language should I learn if I want to be a theoretical physicist?

And some guides.

People who work computer simulations are experimental physicists, you dummy dumb dumb.

Fortran.

Haskell.

Ruby on Rails

cobalt

Mathematica.

C, python and R. All the others are pretty much memes unless your employer specifically calls for the meme language like Java or C#, but those will be easy to pick up if you know C so don't bother learning that stuff on your own time. Would be a smarter idea to learn paradigms rather than languages after you've learned C, Python, and R.

gb2 your containment shithole

malbolge + common lisp

Well, you used to need to know Fortran, but that changed over the years.
I would say C/C++/Python are all you really need.

this + C

Python, Fortran, C/C++

Bazinga

Now go back to putting 3 in an elementary N dimension formula derived by an 18th century mathematician who was much much smarter than you could wish to be

First C++ then Python, Fortran, Matlab, and Maple/Mathematica.

Maybe IDL or R if you need it.

Python, C and Fortran, but mainly for maintaining software. Nowadays Fortran is barely used for new projects.

What book do you suggest to learn paradigms ?

As a theoretical particle physicist.

For lattice you'll need C/C++
For pertubative calculations nowadays it's Mathematica. Some C++ would be handy if Mathematica can't cope with the computation required.

I've never written in C++ and mainly use Mathematica packages freely available on the internet.

Python and Fortran are also used but to a lesser extent.

>What programming language should I learn if I want to be an experiment monkey?
Python.

matlab or octave

if you want a real language learn c++

This and python

Physicists need programming? I thought y'all just spouted memes about dark photons, quantum woo and 13 dimensional hyperstringbranes. What gives?

kek

pascal

assembly

Im a beast at mathematica and to be honest I would rather have C. With libraries there is really no reason to use any other language. If you need to write fast switch to C++ or D for the task it is almost brainless switch. I can model just as well with C mathematica is a waste of time. R is like useless if you don't know C and C is sufficient when you would reach for R. Scripting languages are a waste of time and are no faster than writing in C++ or D (you just need a few new things like auto type and smart poknters). Python is a bad choice because its too slow to use and for quick tasks learning a whole new set of libraries, function calls, and dealing with code structure requirements is a waste of time. GO is a good language would recommend it but its work around on work around to get C efficiency and the libraries are shit and poorly documented. Any functional language is just icing on the cake for meta programming and not worth taking seriously as a first language they are trolling you. C++ is best learned with procedural base so you don't get caught in the cuck track of object oriented program structuring and there is just way too many different ways to do things at this point but boost is nice af and you will love c++ eventually. Fortran or matlab are outdated and can be learned as needed on a job sight as required. Assembly is great when needed but its so platform dependent and you will need new syntax for inline assembly. Its not even worth mentioning because you will use compiler intrinsic instead. Rust could be a fine choice but there is a lot I personally don't like, resources are more limited, and frequent updates make it worthless. Ruby or any of that other stuff is more of a joke but it can be used for demonstrating concepts of algorithms and such in a very readable fashion. Java is worthless for efficiency, imposing too much structure because of the business model that got it famous, and is unredemable. Scripting is for sysadmin.

This is the correct answer. It might seem stupid to learn a 60 year old programming language nobody uses anymore, but it's what physicists all used 60 years ago and now you're stuck with it because nobody wants to start a big project from scratch.

C/FORTRAN and one of the 3M languages. Python for visualization/graphs in no access to one of the 3M languages.

You need to study scratch for 4 years

>IDL

"Dude stars lmao" aren't real physicists.

Ada lmao