Budget Cooking

So I don't have a lot of money to spend and I'm not that great of a cook. I am getting sick of the same goddamn pasta every day though. Could use some advice on how to spice things up a bit and just general cheap things to make.

Right now what I'm doing is spaghetti with a sauce made out of shrooms, creme fraiche, chopped bacon and spinach.

I always have spaghetti in the house and the bacon is actually really cheap over here. Like I said though, I wanna try different things but as cheap as possible.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/EatCheapAndHealthy/comments/2gutuk/26_2021_1592_grocery_list_meal_plan_and_recipes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

boil some rice and eat it

>get frozen stir fry veggies
>fry and mix with spaghetti
>throw soy sauce + sugar + red pepper flakes on it while cooking

you can add meat if you have it

I cooked cabbage with carrots, onions, and garlic. Took the fat off of a nice pork shoulder, rendered it, then cooked the carrots, onions, and garlic in there. Seared the meat which was cut up into pieces. Added cabbage with some water. Cooked until cabbage was cooked (pork was also done at the same time, I don't mind stewed/boiled meat really). Cost like 10 dollars, dunno if that' s cheap for you. Fed me for the week. It really depends on what is cheap in your area. Pork and chicken are cheap here so I eat a lot of that.

Could make some carbonara-style pasta if you pick up some parmesan cheese.

also second stir fries are cheap, versatile, and delicious.

>1 cabbage
>fed me for the week
are you a loli?

idk about the guy you're talking to but all the grocery stores near me have monster cabbages

Try some stews, user.

Chili is cheap, and you can make a lot of it to have around for a few days.

I make a vegetable stew in my slowcooker when I get pushed for cash. If you have spices on hand, it's very affordable.

I've never made chili. Could you share your recipe? Also how long can you store large batches, do you have to freeze it?

Buying meat in the 3lb or more packages, and freezing 2/3rds of it can knock the price per pound down. Combine with some sales and be willing to love chicken thighs or pork steaks or something a bit more lower demand and therefore cheaper.

Since you've done the pasta thing for a while, why not switch to a potato thing, or a rice thing, bean thing, or some other filling carb or starchy side idea to work with for a while and master.

Smoky and fatty meats go a long way to tasting delicious with other foods.

If I'm low on funds, I wouldn't be buying creme fraiche, I'd be making bechamel :P

>rice/noddles/potatoes/tacos
>ground beef/pork/chicken/cheap fish
>frozen vegetables/beans/salad
>spices

You can literary make 50000 different meals with this and it shouldn't cost your more than 2-4 bucks a day. Just watch out for some sales and by in bulk.

You can keep it in the fridge for 3 days until it starts tasting funky, if you take it out to eat a bit of lime juice and water refresh it nicely

>I'd be making bechamel
This learn to make a good bechamel and do your own cream sauces.

Think on the grounds of carbs and prots.

Carbs: potato, corn, cassava, rice, bread, pasta.
Prots: chicken, eggs, beef, tofu, liver, ground meat, pork

Now combine one item of "carbs" and one of "prots". Add other ingredients when sensible.

And congrats, now you have cheap and yet varied and nutritive meals.

Here are some examples...
>rice, eggs = scramble eggs, mix them with rice pilaf. Add cubes of golden-fried onion, maybe bacon. Season it with soy sauce.
>bread, anything = sandwich, duh. Remember to add some veggies or cheap cheese to make it tastier.
>corn, cow liver = polenta with cow liver strips. Really healthy, YMMV about the taste.
>potato, hard beef = stew. Add roux, carrots and whatever you want.
>potato, ground meat = you can prepare a shepherd's pie-like dish with the ground beef as filling for mashed potatoes
>rice, chicken 1 = risotto. You don't need to do a "complete" risotto.
>rice, chicken 2 = chicken curry.

Wow Veeky Forums thanks for the replies so far. Really helpfull!

Another tidbit: food is usually cheaper and faster to prepare in larger scale. Use this to your advantage.

You can eat the same meal two or three times without getting annoyed by the repetition. So never prepare a single meal.
If you have a decent freezer, bulk prepare simple but time-consuming food for, like, ten meals.
If you happen to know someone nearby in the same situation, you can do some kind of agreement like "bring me food on even days, I'll send you food on the odd days". Easier to do with family or close friends.
Pressure cooker is your friend, consider investing in a good one. It also helps you to freeze stuff for stocks (veg skins, veg leftovers, meat leftovers, bones). Homemade stock is a cheap way to improve otherwise bland dishes, and you can even drink it.

>tfw so broke I haven't had a side dish in 2 years
>can't remember what fries taste like

rice and potatoes cost street change, are we gonna have a problem here?

>are we gonna have a problem here?

only scurvy

We're talking about side dishes. If you are hungry and you have a side of potatoes or rice, most humans can feel pretty all right with that.
Ha bat them oranges.

Make DIFFERENT PASTA DISHES.

>procure penne, shit works for fucking anything
>buy canned tomatoes (whole works well for almost anything you just usually have to mash them up for sauces and such)
>have staple veg on hand like onions, garlic, etc.
>you should always have heavy cream on hand

You now have everything you need to make like at least a dozen different types of pasta by grabbing one or two ingredients on a situational basis.

Buy whole chickens, you can get them cheap as shit and then either split them up for later use, roast them whole (eat what you want right away then save the rest to use in all kinds of shit, chicken tacos, pot pie, soup, etc.), or make soups/stocks/whatever.

Find out when you local grocery store changes their sales for the week, and pick up whatever meats you find on sale. 80/20 ground beef can be cheap as fuck, especially when bought in bulk/on special. Look for manager special chuck roast, pork butt/loin, I can sometimes find really nice NY strip roasts for like half off if I go on the right day. Use what you can immediately then freeze the rest.

Split pea soup is cheap as fuck and is god damned delicious. Stews are easy and cheap, and you can portion out leftovers for later meals. Mac and cheese is cheap and easy motherfucker, and you can modify it a million different ways.

Eat a fucking salad. Make a sandwich. EGGS MOTHERFUCKER, THEY'RE DELICIOUS.

EVERY GOD DAMNED DAY, WHY DON'T WE HAVE A STICKY FOR THIS SHIT?

pea/potato stew with fried/boiled/grilled chicken in it, serve it with bread to keep you filled

ez to make and good if you make it right

t. east yurop

We really do need a sticky for this, my phone can't handle all the screenshots I take for note keeping

How about posting those screenshots instead of complaining about the inevitable?

They don't give stickies to containment boards.

/pol/ would be evidence to the contrary.

dude... learn to OneNote

those screenshots aren't even searchable

how are you faggots so poor that there's a thread like this every day? lol

recently lost job, last surviving relatives just passed.

OP here, lost my job aswell.

Just moved and can't find a good enough job where I make it past two/three paychecks

~500g ground beef
can of tomatos (400g)
tomato puree
can of beans of your choice
>beans in chili
1 onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 or 2 chilis

for seasoning
salt
pepper
chili flakes
chili powder
cumin
(if you find a chili spice blend you can use that imstead of using cumin on its own)

>chop onions garlic and chili up, and fry that stuff up
>add the beef and brown it till it has fallen to pieces, season it with salt and pepper
>(optional) add tomato puree and after about 20 seconds degalze with a bit of beer
>add can of tomatos chopped, crushed or whole doesn't matter
>add chili flakes, chili powder and cumin as well as salt and pepper to taste
>let simmer for a bit
>add beans and let simmer for ~5-10 minutes if you wnat to keep some bite in them, if not just add them with the tomatos
>serve in a bowl, add chips, rice or eat it on toast if you want to stretch it out

This chili has a pretty solid consistency and is pretty meatyand one of my student poorfag go tos, using meat from the turkish immigrant store because it is really cheap and higher quality than the prepackaged stuff
check for immigrant stores, they usually have some really goood prices on stuff you wouldn't expect

reddit.com/r/EatCheapAndHealthy/comments/2gutuk/26_2021_1592_grocery_list_meal_plan_and_recipes/

>inb4 hurr reddit

basically cheap sourdough, chicken leg quarters, lentils, frozen veggies, eggs etc

- Panfried chicken in sesame oil at medium heat for around 30 minutes, when almost done, put in pre-cooked sushi rice, and bean sprouts. Carrots thinly sliced and soaked in vinegar goes well with this. If you don't have bean sprout, stir fry some cabbages and carrots.

- Microwave broccoli with a little butter or margarine, add a little hot sauce.

Nappa Cabbage with kimchi and instant ramen, or even pasta. If using instant ramen, can be cooked with microwave, put ramen in bowl, pour water till it's just above noodles, put individual nappa cabage leaves on top, microwave for around 7 to 10 minues, add kimchi before or after. If boiling ramen, boil cabbage first. If using pasta, boil pasta then add nappa cabbage. Could use garlic powder and hot sauce in place of kimchi.

- Rice Pilaf - boil rice in chicken broth, add thinly sliced carrots, sliced green onions.

Eat tinned fish, use the water for broth, use the oil to fry eggs and/or udon.

Chinese supermarket tends to have cheaper vegetable greens, they tend to sell greens that needs to be cooked.

Spices in bags are cheaper. If you are in Canada, Dollarama sells Paprika, Red Pepper Flakes, Onion Powder and Garlic Salt for $1.25 per 77g. Green onions grows easily in small narrow containers, I have some on my windowsill growing out of the bottom half of a small lysol container. Onions are cheap and healthy, but they can make you gassy.

Bananas is probably the cheapest greens during the winter - eat them while they are still firm so it's not too sweet, and you stay full longer. I chop them into small pieces and eat with a sprinkle of lime juice (those lime and lemon shaped container of pre-squeezed juices) and apple juice.

>prots
I don't care how many people actually say that, you and all the rest of them sound like a bunch of cunts

Break out of the monotony of pasta and into the monotony of rice.

> mayo listed as a condiment to buy
jesus fucking Christ what is this world coming to

you can make fries you know its literally potatoes

sorry user but that's all i got for cheap cooking, hopefully this helps and if it does will you do be a solid and post pics of a cute girl?