Humans will likely never leave the solar system. We can barely cooperate as a planet...

Humans will likely never leave the solar system. We can barely cooperate as a planet. The timescales required to change us enough to even work towards a unified goal are too great. Either our evolution or some peculiar limit on our social interaction has denied us this impetus. We can barely cooperate on the samescale of decades. Imagine how disastrous it would be to send a multi-generational ship into interstellar space. Not to mention the fact that whatever ends up among the stars might no longer resemble us.

Perhaps our purpose is to build AI. Such things would be the only way to surpass our lack of free will, buried in layers of cognitive dissonance, social obligation, and pleasure seeking.

But the memedrive tho

>im depressed

And the fact that I cannot by design simply chose not to be is the doom of us.

The fact you believe this is because you want to. Fear attracts the fearful. Victim attitude. Want gets you nothing my friend. Will it. Do you understand you just project your fear into these insane scenarios

fuck you faggot
we rule

Why on Earth does 'Humanity' have to have one fucking unified goal that everyone is working on? Why does it have to be fucking space travel? Enough with the goddamn sci-fi.

Because the Earth's resources are finite.

Well you could argue the entire purpose of life is to spread your genetic code. Its what evolution has sculpted every living thing for, nothing else. Just spreading your information so that it may spread more information. Now all of a sudden a rogue asteroid the size of canada strikes the planet and we are all dead. Millions of years of evolution, wiped clean. And thats where our story and, the story of life in this small corner of the galaxy, ends. Unless we colonize space. You could argue space colonization is the single most important goal and challenge that humans will ever face. Its the only way we get to continue following the will of evolution forever. Unless you are a nilhist i dont see how you can argue against space travel/colonization being a top priority.

it will take too long to bring it up to par, its shit right now.

>Millions of years of evolution, wiped clean.

Doesn't matter a whit. Hundreds of thousands of species have died, are dying right this minute, and will die in the future. Collectively, the amount of years of evolution that they represent is virtually incalculable. Regardless, it doesn't matter a whit. Evolution took no effort. It just happened. Furthermore, whether it happens again or not is irrelevant. It won't change anything.

>And thats where our story and, the story of life in this small corner of the galaxy, ends.

So? It's not like this will prevent Humanity's death either way. Whether it happens today or in a trillion years, heatdeath is inevitable.

>Well you could argue the entire purpose of life is to spread your genetic code.

Why would it be? Either way, why should anyone care about that? How does it benefit you? Don't start with 'immortality': all the people that went into your makeup are still just as dead today as they were yesterday and will be tomorrow.

>Its the only way we get to continue following the will of evolution forever.

Evolution has no will or desire. It doesn't care if anything lives or dies. It doesn't matter how anyone lives or dies. It just happens. It's a fucking process and it doesn't matter if it ever begins or ends.

>tfw hundreds of millions of years of ancestors reproducing to create me don't get rewarded by me ever getting laid and reproducing

But on the bright side my siblings are all normies.

You just need to dominate the rest of the species you tool

No shit. Im not saying its a living thing with opinions. Im just saying its the entire reason humans exist at all. On a galactic/universal scale, evolution will/does select for species that leave their home planet. If you think its a better use of our time to end the millions of years of evolutionary success than to continue it forever, maybe you should kill yourself. If you werent a brainlet you would have seen that the "will of evolution" part of my post was a use of anthropomorphism for ease of explanation. Instead you took it literally and spouted the first thing that came to your mind because youve seen Veeky Forums say the exact same thing every time people mention evolution. You are a sheep and a brainlet.

pls no bully

> If you think its a better use of our time to end the millions of years of evolutionary success than to continue it forever,

It won't continue forever. It won't even continue very long on the same galactic/universal you want to use here. Plus you have yet to respond to a single one of my criticisms in my other post. Evolution can produce millions of humans and human-like species; it doesn't matter whether or not it continues surviving in any form at all.

You are going to die. Everything you've ever known will cease to exist, and every day you're closer to the void.

You are your DNA. Its not immortality but life exists only to preserve its own DNA and ensure its proliferation. Clearly you have a nilhistic view of the universe, which is one of the more logical ways to see reality, but the only thing that matters to the human race (in the grand scheme of things) is continuing our existence. Sure the universe at large may not give a fuck if all life on earth is wiped out tomorrow, but it would mean our DNA would be relegated to the evolutionary trash heap. It really comes down to how successful of a species we want to be. If we had sustainable human colonies on a couple of planets, we would ensure our existence until the death of our star. In that time we may be able to find ways to exist outside of our solar system, in another solar system or on a sustainable interstellar space ship. Which would almost certainly ensure our existence until near the heat death of the universe. Ultimately all of existence is pretty pointless, but how is being successful at the only thing there is to do in the universe not a priority for humanity?

See

>but how is being successful at the only thing there is to do in the universe not a priority for humanity?

What purpose is there in existing purely for the sake of existing? I would understand if you wanted to continue existing to be able to do other things, but all of your arguments are just about humanity existing just to exist. May as well not colonize space at all.

To see and learn about the universe. In a way we are the only reason the existence of the universe isnt completely pointless. If there was no life in the universe it may as well not exist at all, but because we can see it, learn about it, and experience it gives it some form of purpose. We exploring the universe gives us something to do, and us experiencing the universe gives the universe a reason to exist. We are the way for the universe to experience itself after all.

>We can barely cooperate as a planet
>it's another "the world has to work together" episode
Tell me more about how abo's got us in space, got us a man on the moon and drones on mars.

What's with these spacefags and their typical sci-fi pulp perspective? What does it matter that we're not cooperating as a whole species? Tell me more about those perfectly cooperating planets out there in space to which you're comparing us.

I don't think AI would have freedom either. But at least (in theory) it could be designed to be better than us in every way. The more I think about what we are, the more monstrous we seem. I don't think we're deserving of a good life, or frankly, of good anything. There are so many unnecessary people now, all of them thinking their shit don't stink and that they are owed everything. Overpopulation will go down in history as one of the greatest catastrophes to ever strike this planet. We should be superseded by something more efficient.

Does no one actually get how high speed travel in space is actually pretty dangerous? I think science fiction shows and the small things they got right have soiled the actual things they get totally wrong. Sans something like wormholes (which themselves are only on paper), there is just too much shit to account for when "star jumping."

If humanity is going to expand beyond earth, its going to take millions if not billions of years to expand beyond even the nearest star, and that's provided we don't fuck everything up before then.

The problem is not so much that Abos are worse than Westerners, it's more that Westerners think we're god's gift to mankind. We're the biggest part of the biggest problem facing us as a species.

look at the reason we don't.
when they crushed our stairway to heavens " the tower of Babel" and divided us by scrambling our communications we were decimated.
they divided us against ourselves and now we have religion furthering that endeavor.
sadly earth will never be unified to fight our alien over lord of the jew, yhwh.

You didn't get my point at all.
Humanity is doing rather fine without being a cooperating entity. In fact, conflict and competition are the lifeblood of humanity's progress

Quit comparing us to fictional other species and then say that we'll "never make it" because we're not just like the fictional shit

I don't see why humans should leave earth aside from:

>The Sun will not be there forever
>Finite resources

I think is better to assume that Earth and his inhabitants have a limited time and live together, rather than put too much effort on avoiding the inevitable.

If humanity as a whole is going to leave Earth, we have to assume that humans will be locked literally MILLIONS of years inside a spaceship, and since we're not absent of evolution, i don't want to know what kind of aberrations will result from humans living on a poor enviorment for too long. And even if we take for granted that reaching and living on a exoplanet is possible, it just would condome humanity to repeat the same story over and over again (arrive on new Earth -> overpopulation an polution -> finite resources/Star dying/etc -> going to another space trip -> Repeat). And don't forget we have the "end of the universe" so we can't repeat the story endlessly.

And BTW, i'm what some here call "spacefag", but that's the reason i don't think is a good idea. It could be neat for Space Tourism, but aside from sending dudes to clean satellites...

I don't know, how about the sense of adventure and how much we've romanticized that?

Never underestimate the power of advertising.

I think might be able to avoid the inevitable in some way other than fleeing. We just can't imagine it yet.

Pretty much. For me space travel has stopped of being a romaticized thing just like Everest. I remember when i wanted to become an astronaut just for that sake, but then i realized it wasn't that interesting by just placing this or that on a satellite. I'm actually thinking more on Astronomy but i have to get the idea that i'm going to spend more time studying objects rather than actually watch them (everything is a mess even on a good telescope because atmosphere, so why bother). One can only dream...

Well, decontaminating the whole planet won't save us from the Sun or any kind of external danger. And if we "feed" the Sun it would only give 15 years of life as much (and launching other planets to the Sun will have a considerable boost on lifespan, but what would be the cost of losing a planet of the solar system, for example, Jupiter?). And deviating the Earth from it's orbit by using asteroids it THEORETICALLY could work, we don't talk about the cost and stuff but if the Sun dies Earth will likely froze and end.

So yeh, still doomed.

I think how our culture views space travel is going to propel us into the stars, but...I think once we get there, progress into it is going to come to a grinding halt. I'm moreso wondering if we are going to leave the solar system, or just stay within it and terrarform some planets to try to deal with overpopulation issues and the like.

Who knows, maybe asteroid habitats will become a thing and solve that particular issue. I wonder of FTL stuff will ever be a thing. I mean its theoretically possible and all, but so are many other...even more absurd...things.

So according to you, no one would ever make a mistake or bad decision unless its deliberate...

>Humans will likely never leave the solar system
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If there is anyone or thing out there would there even be any point as they aren't intelligent enough to reach us