Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders

>Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders.

What did he mean by this?

he meant "look ma I'm being profound"

Sounds like something that dumbass Plato would write.

Why do you fags feel like you're being attacked

Why do you have the impression that those posts are defensive when neither of them imply it in any way

Things that happen in early life affect the mind more than what is learned by reason.

Basically, a banal observation all tarted up to sound profound. It upsets me to see bullshit paraded around as art.

I think it means our experiences shape us in ways we aren't necessarily even aware of

because they can't even gather the slightest intimation of what faulkner means, so they have to discredit him to cloak their incompetence.

he's pointing to the preeminence of memory over other faculties. think of PTSD; memories shape our comportment towards being before our consciously 'knowing', rational thought can theorize about our situation.

it's good old art. there's more to the sublime than the clockwork of reason, and much of it is inscrutable and individual. this is why faulkner is not taught as widely as he should be in universities. this kind of sophistry is unacceptable from a white male.

That sentence is beautiful. If it was written any way differently, you hacks would be calling Faulkner a simpleton with no skill or talent. Fuck off.

wew lad

that's one of those 'banal' observations that will continue to reveal itself in new masks throughout your life and permanently change you every time if you aren't a dead husk of a human

I liken Faulkner's stupid quote to Plato's theory of anamnesis and suddenly I'm trying to "cloak my incompetence"?

fuck off faulkner

>responding with this picture after "Sounds like something that dumbass Plato would write"

that's a good one boyo

Haha

Well, I still think the quote reminds me of Plato.

>In a strange room you must empty yourself for sleep. And before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are emptied for sleep you are not. And when you are filled with sleep, you never were. I don't know what I am. I don't know if I am or not. Jewel knows he is, because he does not know that he does not know where he is or not. He cannot empty himself for sleep because he is not what he is and he is what he is not. Beyond the unlamped wall I can hear the rain shaping the wagon that is ours, the load that is no longer theirs that felled and sawed it nor yet theirs that bought it and which is not ours either, lie on our wagon though it does, since only the wind and the rain shape it only to Jewel and me, that are not asleep. And Jewel is, so Addie Bundren must be. And then I must be, or I could not empty myself for sleep in a strange room. And so if I am not emptied yet, I am is.

>How often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

>Memory believes before knowing
A memory is considered true before understanding the context or the components of the subject of the memory.
Memory, being comprised of images, sounds, feelings, and impressions thereof, is the foundation for knowledge and therefore precedes it. Before something must be known it must exist within the psychological plane called Memory.
>[memory] believes longer than recollects
memories are inherently shallow compared to the reality they reflect; a recollection is a snapshot of a larger whole reality, and the themes and truths of memories are the real takeaway of the memory, not the recollection itself. Similar to the moral resolution of a fable.
>[Memory believes] longer than knowing even wonders.
kind of a reiteration of the first part, memory is the fabric of knowledge, and that knowledge and potential knowledge(wonder) cannot extend beyond the parameters(beliefs) set in the Memory-plane

>all men are born Aristotelians or Platonists...
>the Platonists sense intuitively that ideas are realities; the Aristotelians, that they are generalizations...
>for the former, language is nothing but a system of arbitrary symbols; for the latter, it is the map of the universe.
>the Platonist knows that the universe is in some way a cosmos, an order; this order, for the Aristotelian, may be an error or fiction resulting from our partial understanding.

What did he mean by this?

Sounds like something that dumbass Plato would write.

did I hurt your feelings?

1) Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man. Between a man and a butterfly there is necessarily a distinction. The transition is called the transformation of material things.

2) Chuang Tzu and Hui Tzu were strolling along the dam of the Hao River when Chuang Tzu said, "See how the minnows come out and dart around where they please! That's what fish really enjoy!"
Hui Tzu said, "You're not a fish - how do you know what fish enjoy?"
Chuang Tzu said, "You're not I, so how do you know I don't know what fish enjoy?"
Hui Tzu said, "I'm not you, so I certainly don't know what you know. On the other hand, you're certainly not a fish ‑ so that still proves you don't know what fish enjoy!"
Chuang Tzu said, "Let's go back to your original question, please. You asked me how I know what fish enjoy ‑ so you already knew I knew it when you asked the question. I know it by standing here beside the Hao."