Why is it that physics majors are smarter than all other majors?

Why is it that physics majors are smarter than all other majors?

>estimated by a completely biased estimation of abilities

Cause mathematics is filled with inept girls who WANT to be a high school teacher. This lowers average IQ which would be higher in mathematics otherwise

Because society feeds smart people this idea that they have to go into physics if they are "smart enough to do physics." At the same time, people who aren't top IQ but are smart enough to do physics don't go into it because they are fed this idea that "physics is only for geniuses."

What I want to know is why are ChemE's smarter than Chem's?

Two words: physical chemistry.

>"physics is only for geniuses."
yeah but by the same token, it's also not for dunces

you gotta bite the bullet and git gud at maths before you can even have a shot at surviving a physics curriculum.

besides, if you don't enjoy connecting abstract ideas to the real world, you're not really going to enjoy physics

ChemE is Chem without inorganic/analytical chem, supercharged chemical thermodynamics instead of PChem, and with these courses added in: ODEs, PDEs, Balances, Fluid Mechanics, Heat and Mass Transfer, Programming and Numerical Methods, Separation Process, Controls, Reactor Design, and Process Design.

>Astronomy riding the coattails

I found that the average physics major in my school spent way more time looking for help from the professors, often because they didn't know a common math reduction, than math majors (my school only had pure) spent with their professors. I wouldn't say physics majors on average were particularly good at math though the bests ones were beasts in upper level math classes.

>PDEs

When does this come into play, transport phenomena? Currently in 3rd year ChemE.

Fluid Dynamics

>iq estimated from GRE scores
those two scores aren't related in the least
there's absolutely no way to correlate the two

What kind of shitty school do you go to where a BSc in Chemistry doesn't have analytical or inorganic

>t. woman

Can you read?

can you?

>ChemE is Chem without inorganic/analytical chem,
>What kind of shitty school do you go to where a BSc in Chemistry doesn't have analytical or inorganic

>ChemE is Chem without inorganic/analytical chem,
He's saying Chemistry includes analytical and inorganic, and ChemE does not, you illiterate fuck.

I'm a biochemist and I ain't shit compared to a physicist. I fucking love physics, I wanted to be a biochemist to try and learn how advanced chemistry begets biology. However, after years of contemplation I realized we are just shitty humans, mere accidents in this universe. What is truly remarkable is answering the question of how everything came about rather than flesh and blood, which can be obliterated in an instant. The universe is here to stay

Also philosophy is dead and philosophers need to grow up and contribute to science if it is true that they are at the level at which this projects them to be, which is highly unlikely by the way

I meant to say Chem (E) doesn't take those classes?

This is missing Classics majors (top 1-3). I'm a philosophy major

>around 40% of math majors are female

wew lad

I've see once where Med+Math students were the ones on top.

Anyway GRE as a proxy for IQ is pretty far fetched. Not very accurate at all.

Pretty sure there are ones who are actually IQ tests.

more girls go in math than in physics

Sad but true

I don't get that. A Physics BSc is a fucking joke compared to the Math equivalent.

>EE below ME

b8

yeah, nah

What kind of shitty school do you go to where a BSc in ChemE doesn't have analytical or inorganic

Biologist here.

just above religion and political science and under every fucking real science... even geology.
I'm a fucking pleb.

Where do you think the constitution of these questions in those IQ tests come from?

No seriously how hard is it to understand that a test that borrows heavily from the logical concepts in math and science would in return favor those in math and science?

I think stats majors are taken in as math majors. A lot of wimminz in stats tho

yeah, nah

>estimate

Also, why are people using average IQs to boast? Isn't the whole point of boasting to be individually better than others? Even IQ threads are more on point and relevant than this shit.

These charts, kek.

One of my CS friends score in the 130-135 range, the other one in 135-140 range.

Most competent people usually score near or above the score associated with physics.

It must be good to circle jerk about useless bullshit scores when in the end all that matters is you and regardless of whether you're in physics or not you will still be just as smart as all those other competent people in engineering, cs, business, chemistry, math, etc.

There's literally nothing (0 things) wrong with wanting to be a high school teacher.

Accounting below religion, teaching and poli sci?

Kys.

Because mediocre people derive pride from the achievements of others as they have none to show for themselves.
That's where racial pride comes from as well

Of course, but do you know most of those students? I am stuck with those retards even though I am one of them. They go fine with social subjects, methodology and stuff and never ever give fuck about measure theory or anything above high school materials. There are basically 4 people I can talk to of us 50 in group.

Accountants aren't that smart in all honesty.

Accounting is one of the easiest degrees out there.

They take Inorg and Phys I but not Phys II at my uni. They can take it as an elective, though I think.

No... Physicists tend to have much higher general abilities, which IQ is a measure of.

We're not as good at math and logic on average, but our verbal, visuo spatial, mechanical, and associative abilities are generally superior to yours.

>132 in 2000
>currently 23

I switched from chem to psych because fucking calc 2 requires me to study and shit. No way will I take a 6th time (a 65%, a 68% and I had 3 withdrawals, in that order).

I'd say because undergrad physics uses mathematics about equal in complexity to undergraduate math, they learn concepts quicker, and actually do more with it. In physics, you mostly are from the beginning taught to think on your feet, reason things out, draw pictures, and actually do something with all the stuff you're taught. You're taught to solve problems. In math, it gets hard towards the end, but a lot of math doesn't really take high intelligence in undergraduate because every class you'll take is just an introduction to something, most likely. This means if you know BASIC logic, you'll have an easy time doing your work which will be MOSTLY just definition chasing to prove basic, basic theorems. In higher levels though, I'd say mathematics is definitely harder and that math has the higher IQ there.

All the circle jerking itt.

Depends what you mean by pride, I dont like having to look at ethnics

>psych major because he couldnt hack it in chem which is itself a major for people who couldnt hack it in physics/math

give up desu, calc 2 is babby tier

>mfw materials eng

Look man, the fact that they labeled it "IQ estimated by GRE" instead of "GRE scores" means the authors of this graph are 100% pants-on-head retarded. There is nothing more to be said. It's possibly the most blatantly biased title one could come up with.

saged

>social work
>104
I don't believe it, I think a range of 80-90 is more accurate

Because ChemE do basically everything chemist do but with a truckload of other things

This
What the fuck, that's seriously the first stuff I took as a ChemE major

UCB you have to take EVERYTHING chemist take and more

>calc 2
>hard

What a meme, calc 2 and calc 3 were a wall on the park

I only ever had a bit of trouble when I first took calc 1 but adjusted quickly

Philosophy #3 baby

>Know nothing about philosophy other than what NDT, Bill Nye and Dawkins have told me
>"Philosophy is stupid"

I've got an IQ of 115 and have an electronics engineering degree
>fite me

>philosophers need to grow up and contribute to science

Why would they? They're not scientists and do not care about science.

If they were really smart they would know all of the fields could use smart people, most of the other fields probably having `lower-hanging fruit' as well, since einstein gave it a bash recently

> end up making fancier nuclear weapons that at best are never used, rather than doing something useful