What's Veeky Forums think of ASOIAF?

What's Veeky Forums think of ASOIAF?
Unlike most of you, I don't read for the
>a e s t h e t i c
I read for entertainment, so it was a pretty comfy and entertaining series overall.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. I've watched through the first eight or so episodes of the first season, but that's it. The books were just so comfy and fun, I don't even want to bother with the TV series.

It was looking good, three books in. Now it is the biggest disaster in the history of fiction.

3 > 1 > 2 = 5 >> 4

Started off good, fourth book was disappointing and I really didn't like the fifth

There has literally a never been a more steep drop in quality from book to book in a fantasy series than the one that occurs in ASOIAF.
>A Game of Thrones
Its okay, Ned chapters are outstanding
>A Clash of Kings
war of five kings is very interesting premise, with astonishingly underwhelming execution
>A Storm of Swords
le everyone you like dies. This is the book where Martin establishes his trend. He attempts to break and undermine cliches, but is so hamfisted and obvious about that he just ends up being another cliche. This is the point of no return
>A feast for crows
The plot moves at a glacial pace. This is the point in the series when the lack of focus and urgency in regards to the white walkers becomes painful. Virtually every character that moves the plot forward is dead by the end, and it sets up one of the greatest literary disasters in recent memory. (at least in terms of high fantasty)
>A Dance with Dragons
What the actual fuck went wrong? A game of thrones had so much promise and GRRM just fucked it. Characters appearing out of thin air to advance the plot, but only in areas that are of least concern. I just dont understand how the Nights Watch struggle with the white walkers is not the focal point. The Others literally want to kill everything and have the means to do it, so how the fuck am i supposed to care about who shat what color shit in the desert when a horde of ice zombies is preparing to invade the continent? What a fucking mess of a book.

To cap all this off there is no author in the history of pulp literature who is worse at managing expectations than GRRM.

On top of all that, you have memes all over the internet spoiling events in Winds of Winter.

I agree that he has terrible management of his characters. I don't mind them dying in droves, but he is trying to write from too many perspectives. He's keeping his audience in the dark because if he didn't, there would be no suspense (and also because he hasn't figured out how he's going to end it).

Also, the idea that Varys would be as intelligent and resourceful as he is, and yet remain ignorant of the white walkers (or worse, apathetic), is absurd. I guarantee there will be a bullshit deus ex machina that magically saves most of the world, even though most of them should starve to death during the winter before the white walkers even show up.

I thought the series increased in quality until ASoS, where he got too famous and then let everything fall apart. If he stuck with the five year gap like he intended I'm sure things would have worked out a lot better, but he fell for his own "gritty and realistic!!!11" meme. The series will never be finished and the show will not do whatever ending he has planned justice

>Unlike most of you, I don't read for the a e s t h e t i c I read for entertainment

Why do genre fags act like literary aesthetic isn't entertaining?

Anyway, I fucking hated that book. But then again, I read for aesthetic and hate fantasy.

I enjoyed it, but I completely regret reading it when I think about all those pages of some other book I'll never get to read because I wasted my time reading genre fiction

>I read for entertainment
That's why everybody reads fiction. The only difference is their standards.

Entertaining as shit even if its not groundbreaking literary masterpiece that normies like to pretend.

He didn't want everything being told in flashback apparently

this sadly

>I read for entertainment
As said by every butthurt transpleb ever.

Anyway, ASoIaF is okay, and vastly over or underrated by most people here. It's the classic Undertale problem, only moreso.
P S E U D Y P O O
The only difference is their experience.

God I used to love this series. I remember we used to discuss it on /tv/ before Veeky Forums was created. I had such high hopes for it, but now it will never be finished.

I can't really recommend it to anyone because of how unfinished it is. All those plot points that will never be completed...

It was comfy, yeah. Also I agree with what said

I read through all of the book quite quickly, but I'm less excited for the next because the story is so goddamn sloppy by this point. I think GRRM has dementia.

explain

It started out okay, and then its arc got lost in the dark middle chapter, and then so much time passed between books that people mistake that dark middle chapter for being where the series itself is implied to be going, and then the show completely missed the point of the series, and then that started influencing how the books were being written. So, really, it's shit now.

I can't decide if Martin is a lazy fat fuck or if he's just tired of having written the same series for more than twenty years. Either way, he needs to hurry up and finish.

To be honest with you I'm way more interested in the outside universe and lore than I am in the actual substance of the series. I think it is fascinating that a lot of minor landed noble families in the universe have interesting histories and motivations that subtly change the events of the books, such as houses Darry or Yronwood. The World of Ice and Fire is probably the most interesting book out of the bunch, even though it's not a novel. Some of the Preston Jacobs theories if true would make the novels a lot more interesting, but I doubt half of them are.

Also, the Crusader Kings II mod is patrician as fuck.

Pic is the best character in the lore.

4 was great because of Jaime and the pirate sideplot.

5 was a trainwreck

Agreed. I've also realised whilst watching the latest season that I no longer give a shit about any of the characters. All the old and interesting ones (ie the ones with long and fascinating histories) have died off.