Wake up in the morning and don't feel like cooking

>wake up in the morning and don't feel like cooking
>go out for breakfast nearby
>coffee is $4
>every dish is some sort of special snowflake rendition to justify the price point
>mfw spending $25 on breakfast

honestly Veeky Forums how am I supposed to enjoy a nice day out on the town without getting ripped off or falling for the meme

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=top paddock
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I read one line and now I'm extremely angry.

I'm curious but this is too much.
Ask them if they only accept Ethiopian money or something.

I would accept this bullshit in NYC, London, and mayyyybe SF.

>toast with jam and butter
>7.50
Holy shit this place is ridiculous. I realize breakfast places like Denny's and IHOP aren't high quality places but a whole breakfast meal from costs about the same as that toast.

This has to be Australian...prices are too fucking retarded for anywhere else...$7.50 for fucking toast?

Also...all day breakfast...served until 3pm...

Ya...fuckin Aussies...

OK, here's an idea. Ask to see the menu before sitting down. If you don't like it, leave.

Also there were probably dozens of context cues between you seeing the place and walking in, sitting down, and looking at the menu that could have tipped you off that it was a fancy hipster pricy place. Granted in some areas it's not always easy to differentiate 20-a-plate hipster places from 10-a-plate greasy spoons, but still.

Also if I was loaded, I'd have the white bean and egg baguette with chorizo

sorry to burst your bubble but every establishment or cafe is now like this

it's the price you pay for living in a cosmopolitan city

>toast
>jam
>ORGANIC butter
>7.50
>ocean trout costs less than toast and jam

What the fuck?

Isn't all butter organic? it's literally just cream and salt.

Maybe try not going to some pretentious place like in the pic? Just go to Perkins/Dennys/IHOP/Wafflehouse or a local diner. It's breakfast man, it's not something special that requires a pretentious place like that. Don't be fooled by that MUH SUPPORTING LOCAL SUPPLIERS thing in the bottom right either, that wouldn't make it cost an arm and a leg. Mel's Diner near where I am for breakfast has all these local places that supply them with bacon, eggs, orange juice, milk, vegetables, etc and they charge normal non bullshit prices for it. Pic related, the menu

Ahh The Highlanderrrrraaaaa!

Not sure how long you been living in Adelaide but everytime I heard that ad on the radio I would rage.

This is standard breakfast prices in Australia. The closer to the coast you go, the more expensive it gets

and the local supplier statement

I might be organic but is it o r g a n i c ?

shit man, i live in the NYC area, which is both expensive, full of food trends, both stupid and awesome and 100% full of hipsters, but there's nothing at all like this. even tho this place is in melbourne and aussie dollars are wacko, that's fucking absurd

>no sharing
The fuck?

>gluten free toast: 8.50
>gluten free bread: 1.00
Kek how do they think they can get away with this?

If this shit annoys you you're living in a neighborhood you can no longer afford. That happens sometimes. You find a nice place to live and then a bunch of people much richer than you decide they want to live there as well. It's happened to me three times in my adult life, because I've lived in lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. Hopefully you've bought your place so you can sell it for more than enough to move somewhere more in line with your sensibilities and bank the rest. If not buy a place that looks like these people will be there in five years or so, then profit. And go out to eat in less upscale neighborhoods, preferably immigrant ones.

So Gluten Free bread on the left is $8.50 but to add gluten free bread on the right is $1.00... You should of asked do you get 8 and a half slices of bread.

Brisbane here, can confirm Cafes here use similar (maybe just slightly less) pricing and people actually pay it.

Yeah lets not support local farmers , instead I'll send my money overseas so the rich can get richer. Idiot

>And go out to eat in less upscale neighborhoods, preferably immigrant ones.

I hate immigrants.

What country do you live in?

Not OP but is in Australia

You should then get a better job so you can afford white places.

>Yeah lets not support local farmers

They get subsidises anyway.

Also, if they exist in a business model which is incompatible with the way the modern world of capitalism works then they will and should die off. Change the economic model first before whining about supporting muh local produce. There a big reason why globalism took off and why countries import/export food stuffs.

>Top Paddock
>Church Street, Richmond, Melbourne

You're surprised that a gourmet cafe located in an area well known to be gentrified, in a city reknowned for its gourmet cafes and yuppie customer focus, in a country with an established high min wage/cost of living charges around $25AUD for breakfast w/ coffee.

There are no words for your faggotry, user.

You could have just gone to fucking Denny's.

a lot of cheaper breakfast places do this because they serve huge portions
without charging for or banning sharing people would just split a $6-7 breakfast like jews

Read what I said again retard. Just because the place supports local farmers doesn't mean they would charge you 7.50 for fucking toast you dumb nigger. What I posted is a diner that DOES support local farmers, and has normal fucking prices.

You think that's bad? This place down the street called Prohibition Kitchen charges $33 for a fucking grilled salad

No grilled chicken, no no. Don't let that fool you. Grilled lettuce.

im going out in a bit for a crab cake eggs benedict

this is a good day.

> "what can I get you, fine sir?"

> "two slices of your finest gluten free bread"

> "and for you, m'lady?"

> "waiter, ones for her"

> "I see. "sir" "

$2 date bitches

I had to check OP's image after this...HE'S RIGHT!

XD

You're supposed to go to a diner, not a place from brooklynbarmenus.com

>living in Melbourne

You brought this upon yourself m8

What the fuck? Who cares? If overseas shit is cheaper buy overseas shit to force local prices down.

Learn to read comprehend dude man. It said it is local supporting and prices are good not stupid pricing. Go fag off in your closet else where monkey splooge.

Why? They usually have the best food, and often for cheap. Immigrant restaurants are the antidote to overpriced upscale hipster shit. If you hate both I have no idea where the fuck you're supposed to eat. Maybe Chili's or Applebee's?

>Maybe Chili's or Applebee's?

That is about the only answer. Chili's, Applebee's, TGI Fridays, those places if you hate both other options. Cracker barrel for home style. I prefer trying all the cheaper immigrant places and it's almost always good food except one here or there that just fails awful and they disappear quickly.

not the guy you're arguing with and I have no interest in reading this entire thread, but "immigrant restaurants" is a pretty broad bucket. on the one hand you have your pretty nice korean places in say fort lee NJ where the ingredients are all high quality and the place is spotless and everything is kept new and shiny looking and there's a variety of stuff to drink. then you have your west african joints where the food is still high quality but the tables are cracked and worn down, and it's harsh flourescent lighting and there's only soda and bottled water. then you have your mexican joints in corona or whatever, where the only patrons are extremely poor so the owners cut corners and buy substandard ingredients in order to keep costs low enough for their customer base.

so yeah, I'd rather eat at chili's than at some sad taqueria in a run down part of queens where the meat smells off and the only patrons look like the owner's immediate family and if you walk in and you don't look like an olmec they look scared that you're probably going to serve them the eviction notice they've been expecting.

but what do I know, I've only been to mexico where the traditional recipes are actually successful because the ingredients aren't rummaged from the dumpster behind c-town

After I typed that I thought Cracker Barrel, Denny's or Waffle House would have been better suggestions. But my general point stands. If you're put off by upscale places and don't like immigrant run places the rest of your options are going to be mostly chains. And that's pretty grim.

Yeah. I would not like to be "chained to chains" so to speak. There's so much good food out there if you're willing to try and it doesn't have to be expensive in any way. Granted some places have more variety and better choices, but almost any where you can find at least some where that isn't a chain place and suits your needs and fits the bill and is pretty good compared to the chains microwaved, pre-prepped bland dishes.

>taqueria in a run down part of queens where the meat smells off and the only patrons look like the owner's immediate family
Really? Some of the best meals I've had in recent memory were at places that loosely fit that description, if you swap Brooklyn for Queens and play down the emphasis on the smell. Truth is for over a century most of the best inexpensive restaurants have been run by immigrants, whether they were Italian, Greek, Chinese, Lebanese, Indian or Mexican. A restaurant is a business an ambitious immigrant family can make a go of, and American diners have been so much the better for that for a long time.

This is due to Aussies having to pay repartitions for their war crimes. Everything is taxed to fuck. You lose Aussie cucks. Accept your defeat

PAY YOUR DEBTS

>All day breakfast until 3 PM
>Chilli
>pancakes with berries $20.00
>oatmeal with fruit 15.00
>No changes to the menu thank you

i am a seething white-hot ball of rage

Its an "add," as in if you want gluten free bread instead of normal bread you add an extra dollar to the price of whatever meal you ordered.

>I would not like to be "chained to chains"
To me that would be an understatement. The only time I would choose to eat at a chain would be when I'm traveling and can't find any other option. I can't think of any situation where I'd favor a chain over a local mom and pop restaurant. Because in my experience even the worst mom and pop places are still no worse than most chains. Sure chains may be consistent, but consistently awful to mediocre doesn't score any points in my book.

> Some of the best meals I've had in recent memory were at places that loosely fit that description
You're probably just getting distracted by the fact that it's "different".
>play down the emphasis on the smell
Dude, no. I hope you're joking.
>Truth is for over a century most of the best inexpensive restaurants have been run by immigrants,
Yes, and? You realize "immigrants" is not a monolithic group? Even within any one of those groups you can see greater or lesser degrees of success. Take Chicago for instance, where you can go to an "authentic" Mexican joint on the south side and not wonder if it's going to send you to the hospital with food poisoning, because they're doing well enough to not cut corners on everything
>A restaurant is a business an ambitious immigrant family can make a go of
I'm not really sure how this justifies eating food where you have to tell yourself "if you can get past the smell of the expired meat it's really not too bad"

Very true. Especially the last part.

>Sure chains may be consistent, but consistently awful to mediocre doesn't score any points in my book.

The best breakfast I've had was a tiny hole in the wall that made toast, eggs, bacon and sausage. All fresh. All cooked to order. With Toast (three pieces), Coffee, Two eggs how you want them and the meat you want...$4.50 and free coffee refills. All real actual ingredients, cooked how I want them and made fresh and they even would supply you with a newspaper for free while you wait and eat. They've been open over 50 years and haven't changed a thing except the price which still is a pretty good price for that these days. In the late 80s it was around $2.50 for the same.

>toast with jam and organic butter $7.50

Jesus fuck hipsters are stupid. Where do you live where people actually pay that much for this shit?

I don't know what kind of shithole you live in but even living in spitting distance of the southern border and eating from taco stands in the poor part of town, I've never seen or smelled anything that made me think the food was expired or off in any way.

It was the oatmeal one that got me.

Porridge is probably the cheapest meal I can make, way cheaper than pasta and rice.

lmgtfy.com/?q=top paddock

>no changes to the menu thank you
what did they mean by this

New York at the moment. Our Mexicans are poor. I don't mean like, they're not driving around in brand new Volvos. I mean they're living 10 to a basement unit and sending their meager earnings back home. They don't have money to blow on a nice lunch out on their day off, because (a) no money and (b) no day off. So the few Mexican joints that try to have a go at catering to other Mexicans tend not to be doing so great.

What I'm saying is that you can't just make sweeping statements like "immigrant restaurants are automagically better than a chain because like, the American dream and stuff". It depends on the group, the locality, and the era.

If you're near the Mexican border it means you're in an area where Mexicans are an established part of the community. Likewise with the Chicago example I gave.

Try to wrap your head around the fact that "America" is not a monolithic place and "immigrants" have different situations in each of those places.

>You're probably just getting distracted by the fact that it's "different".
I think it's more that the food is recognizable, not that it's different. In a little mom and pop joint cooking the food of some other land they usually start with ingredients that I can recognize the look and flavor of.
>You realize "immigrants" is not a monolithic group?
Of course. But who runs the non chain restaurants that aren't high end places? Usually immigrants. And let's face it: American chain restaurants are usually so awful that even a so-so take on the food of some other land is likely to be better.
>send you to the hospital with food poisoning
I never understood this fear. I've eaten pretty fearlessly in North and Central America, the Caribbean, Europe and parts of Asia and the worst that even happened to me has been getting the shits for an hour or two. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I generally don't give a fuck about food poisoning. I just pick places that are packed with the logic that a place where business is booming obviously isn't sending people to the hospital on a regular basis.
>What I'm saying is that you can't just make sweeping statements like "immigrant restaurants are automagically better than a chain because like, the American dream and stuff".
I would make that statement, but not because the American dream and stuff. Simply because chains are so awful that any family run place stands a chance of having much better food. And most family run places are run by immigrants.

But user, it's so much easier to make sweeping generalized statements. I mean, fuck thinking.

>eggs on toast
>$10.50

>I think it's more that the food is recognizable, not that it's different.
Really, so you're used to eating food that smells like expired meat?
>In a little mom and pop joint cooking the food of some other land they usually start with ingredients that I can recognize the look and flavor of.
I guess that makes sense. I buy fresh meat to cook at home, so while I recognize the smell of meat that's starting to go bad, I don't recognize it as something I want to eat.
>Of course. But who runs the non chain restaurants that aren't high end places? Usually immigrants
You're making the same logical error over and over again, which is to assume that because nice places have immigrants working there, that therefore if a place has immigrants working for it, it's a nice place
>even a so-so take on the food of some other land is likely to be better.
While I wouldn't disagree with this in a broad sense, when you start pretending expired food is a sign of "authenticity from the authentic homeland" I'm really not able to sympathize
>I never understood this fear
It's a natural human instinct. We're hard wired to recognize the taste of the chemical compounds created by dangerous bacterial colonies forming in food.
> I've eaten pretty fearlessly in North and Central America, the Caribbean, Europe and parts of Asia
Ok, not sure what that has to do with anything.
>the worst that even happened to me has been getting the shits for an hour or two
Generally speaking, those kinds of infections are from cross contamination, which you can't smell or taste
>I generally don't give a fuck about food poisoning
You've never had actual food poisoning
> that a place where business is booming
A place that has to be sustained by the sympathy of immediate family =\= "business is booming"

I wouldn't have minded too much so long as the portion sizes reflected the price. That better be one big ass plate of toast.

I can buy a loaf of bread, a POUND OF BUTTER, and a jar of jam and make it all into toast for less than $7.50.

even with all the "fancy" shit they are putting on there, anyone not retarded can make that at home for like 2$ and 30 minutes

The sweeping generalization does stand. Here's the thinking behind it. At a chain all the food is created by committee. It's optimized not just to be inoffensive to even the pickiest eater (making it boring), but also for maximum profit (therefore made from the absolute cheapest possible ingredients). At a mom and pop place that happens to a much lesser degree. Usually you have is one person's take on some kind of traditional cuisine that generations before them have worked out. That stands a much greater chance of being tasty than whatever corporate decided will play well in Peoria.
>I'm really scared of immigrants poisoning my food through their filthy habits
You probably shouldn't eat out at anyplace interesting. You're the person McDonald's was invented for.

Sorry if my opinions upset you, but my family is from an authentic brown third world country where I lived for a year as child, and I've lived for about 2 years in two other authentic brown third world countries. I am pretty sure you'd be jealous of how "exotic" and "real" my life has been, so try to wrap your mind around the concept that just because someone is browner than you, they don't necessarily have to love rotting meat and wilted vegetables.

I hate to throw around the R word gratuitously so I'll just say your tendency to exotify immigrants is blinding you to the fact that some of them are struggling in some places and this is reflected in the substandard food they eat in those places.

>some of them are struggling in some places and this is reflected in the substandard food they eat in those places.
My point is that even the "substandard" food being served in the cheapest immigrant run joints in Brooklyn or Queens is still a step up from what you'd get for the same price at a chain. The burgers at McDonald's and BK are also substandard. Experience has taught me that dollar for dollar I enjoy the taste of 4 x $1 fried pork dumplings at the Chinese place or tacos from a truck much more than anything I could buy at a chain restaurant. And I feel better after eating it. But really it's about flavor for me. If I'm not going out to an upscale place I'm looking for the most flavor for my dollar. And I live in NYC, so that almost always means an immigrant run place.

>My point is that even the "substandard" food being served in the cheapest immigrant run joints in Brooklyn or Queens is still a step up from what you'd get for the same price at a chain
And my point is that you shouldn't make excuses for expired meat just because the guy serving it to you is brown and they're playing Tigres del Norte on the boom box next to the cash register.
>The burgers at McDonald's and BK are also substandard.
I'm not suggesting that anybody go to either of those places
>Experience has taught me that dollar for dollar I enjoy the taste of 4 x $1 fried pork dumplings at the Chinese place or tacos from a truck much more than anything I could buy at a chain restaurant.
Ok, and? The Chinese are a well-established community here and they don't have much issue clearing out inventory before it goes bad.
>And I feel better after eating it.
I can see that
>But really it's about flavor for me
Seems to me it's more about showing off how "open minded" you are even if it's kind of insulting in an inadvertent kind of way.
>I'm looking for the most flavor for my dollar
You can let meat go bad at home, just stick it in the fridge and wait.
>And I live in NYC
Clearly you're not very good at picking up on cues here, so let me break it down for you: so do I. And that means since I have a choice, I choose not to go to the sad dumpy taco joint in Queens that's about to get evicted by the landlord because they can't make their rent payments

Yeah well the profits from your purchases aren't going towards marginalised transgender coloured women

>Seems to me it's more about showing off how "open minded" you are even if it's kind of insulting in an inadvertent kind of way.
I get that's what you're trying to cast me as doing. Sorry I don't fit with your preconceptions. Truth is I like going out to eat, but I'm not always in the mood to spend more than whatever cash is in my pockets. And dining out in NYC for over 20 years has taught me that when I want something delicious for cheap heading to immigrant neighborhoods is the way to go. And that's been the case in this town for over a century.
>I choose not to go to the sad dumpy taco joint in Queens that's about to get evicted by the landlord because they can't make their rent payments
Agreed. But you don't have to eat there because there are many thriving cheap Mexican joints in Queens where the food is great. No need to characterize NYC Mexican joints negatively when we finally have so many good ones.

>cast me as doing
Not really sure how else to interpret "play down the emphasis on the smell", as if you can't (or intentionally won't) recognize a distinction between "weird foreign food smell" and expired food. Or, worse, that you think that they're inextricably tied somehow.
>we finally have so many good ones
We have a few that aren't completely scary now, in contrast to say 10-15 years ago where it was 100% depressing dumpy and nasty, but it's still towards the bottom of food nationalities around these parts.

I have no idea where you're coming up with the Mexican joint = expired meat thing. Around here the turnover is so high the meat doesn't have time to go off. I have no idea where you're eating Mexican in NYC, but it's obviously not at the right places. I suggest a trip to Sunset Park, Brooklyn, but you can even do well enough in the EV these days.

As I mentioned earlier up in the thread, Corona, also Elmhurst.

I'm well aware that I can ride the subway for 2 hours and get decent Mexican in Morrisania or Sunset Park or New Dorp or some such place, the point being that immigrant owned joints are in no way immune to serving mediocre to horrible food. If anything they may be more prone to doing it because the food isn't all pre-cooked at some regional distribution center and shipped to the place in a microwave-ready bag.

I'm lucky that I live near not one, buhstt two supermarkets that sells hot food. Plus fastfood that is actually fast.

I always keep at least one tv dinner in my freezer. I also buy chicken tenders in bulk at Popeye's, and then freeze them two pieces to each container, and I eat them with thawed broccoli (with butter) and canned corn.

>the point being that immigrant owned joints are in no way immune to serving mediocre to horrible food
I agree completely. My point is that when you're looking to dine out on the cheap your options are mostly immigrant run places and chains. And my experience has been immigrant places (even the sucky ones) beat the offerings at most chains hands down.
>pre-cooked at some regional distribution center and shipped to the place in a microwave-ready bag.
Just like chains.

Also I've noticed how much people enjoy living in this town has a lot to do with whether the like their neighborhood. Might want to move someplace you like better.

>even the sucky ones) beat the offerings at most chains hands down.
Except that isn't true. The whole point of a chain is managed mediocrity. Whereas with an independent restaurant you might get amazing, you might get horrible. If your experience is mostly on the amazing side, I suspect your eating habits are less adventuresome than you would like to pretend, and maybe you wait until Sietsema or some such person has put it on your radar before trying it and patting yourself on the back for being an urban pioneer.
>Might want to move someplace you like better.
I like it here just fine. As I mentioned earlier, I've lived in many parts of the world and one thing I've learned is you can't have everything. Not even in NYC. When I hear someone arguing otherwise I feel it's my duty to remind them of their error.

>thread suddenly derailed by two stupid faggots arguing about Mexicans in their cesspool of a city

Umm. No?

>managed mediocrity.
To me that's worse than horrible. I'll remember an awful meal as well as a great one. But if I'm going out to eat the last thing I want is a forgettable meal. I'm not that afraid of food being unsafe.

>all day menu
>only served till 3pm
what?

I think you're mixing up two unrelated questions here:

1. Given a choice of an uncertain experience (could be great could be terrible), and a guaranteed mediocre experience, which would you choose

and

2. Given a choice between a guaranteed terrible experience and a guaranteed mediocre experience, which would you choose

Surely you would not choose a guaranteed terrible experience over a guaranteed mediocre experience just to seem "cool" and "open minded"

Or is that actually what you're saying?

>salt
>sodium chloride
>organic

>eggs and bacon on toast
>kids breakfast

this upsets me the most

>paying meme prices to some pretentious young chef
>not going to the mom and pop diner that's been doing it for decades

I'm on the shake for breakfast bandwagon. I blend a protein shake, a handful of spinach, and some frozen berries and down it.

If I was planning on going out for breakfast I'd just head to my local Waffle House.

Breakfast is a meme

What I do is go to the cooperatively owned vegan cafe, where everything is big and cheap.

this is my favorite place locally.

I love the Mess

>going to Troy
>ever

least you got a good menu there, for like 4 bucks less you get nothing but shit italian and diner food where im located. it sucks, but at least there is one good italian place near me that has a good red sauce. that and the owner is authentic and a really nice guy. he always comes up to my table and asks how we are doing, tells a little joke too.

I would take a meal that comically bad over a mediocre one. At least an awful meal has some character. But I rarely get awful meals, nor do I settle for mediocre ones. II'm pretty good at assessing places. Like you pointed out I've managed to avoid ever being seriously food poisoned in over two decades of pretty adventurous eating.

Then there's the principle: if I know the goal of the place is turning out consistently mediocre I don't want to give them a cent of my money, because I see that as loathsome.

sure, if all i want is
>choices of food, starches and meat
>seasonings used: salt and pepper

the prices on OP's menu would be outrageous in burger bucks but in australia people make like $20 dollarydoos an hour so it makes sense

$6.00

you could just not eat there. that would be more productive than complaining about it on the internet.

Style ain't cheap. If you don't like paying for it don't go to a stylish place.

Definitely an instagram place , but the food is crazy bland to most reviews . So is it really worth 20 dollars for a picture? Maybe Idk I'm not some selfie faggot or some piece of Shit foodie sounds like you might be both a cock sucker and a cock guzzler

I've got nothing against stylish food, but I kind of expect that putting that much care into the appearance of the food goes hand in hand with equal care put into the flavor. When that's the case I don't mind paying a premium for it. But I'm not willing to pay a premium for food that looks better than it tastes. To me that's style over substance. It's just too easy to throw some micro-greens on top of something and charge an extra $5 for it, and that shit doesn't impress me.

did anyone chek the prices in sd....google exsists

coffe is 3 dollars and the toast with fancy jam and butter is 5

its not that bad

This is how it's served at a vegan place in Paris.

>Toast with jam and organic butter: 7.50

Yea, fuck you, and your "restaurant".

That shit's just insulting.

Chloride is half carbon and therefore organic desu