How do we know he was real

how do we know he was real

Other urls found in this thread:

harpermcalpineblack.blogspot.com/2013/08/aristotle-was-phoney.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Also interested in how we know Homer was real

How do we know that you are not a faggot?

Prove Anatoloy Fomenko wrong.

Protip: you can't[/spoiler[

we don't know but it's cool too pretend

define "we", "know" and "real"

>we
Human beings

>know
Proof

>real
Lived and walked around like us human beings

It might surprise you to find out that he actually wrote quite a few books that survived until this day.

We don't know anything about him, but we know for sure one man wrote both the Iliad and the Odyssey. We call him Homer because that's supposedly what his name was.

If Plato isn't real, how can mirrors be real; and therefore, how can our eyes be real?

Oh thats pretty rad though

The form of Plato is real and that's all I care about.

This thread may be tongue in cheek but this honestly does bother me. How do I know that any historical event really happened, or that any person in history really existed? The "evidence" lies in books, historical accounts, stories passed down, writings....But history is also colored by people's perceptions and political reasons.

It's annoying that when I read about history, I can't trust it 100%, and when I start to doubt something, I start to doubt everything. It would be nice to be able to read it without these hang-ups. Any way to get over this?

Stop being such a pansy.

How Can Socrates Be Real if Plato Isn't Real?

kek'd

Because many people who were his contemporaries wrote about him and he is recorded in many places, most notably as the founder of the academy in Athens.

It's annoying that when I read about history, I can't trust it 100%, and when I start to doubt something, I start to doubt everything. It would be nice to be able to read it without these hang-ups. Any way to get over this?

Thats literally what history means. Historia means Inquiry it's just asking questions to a selected number of observers. Nothing real ever happened because even when it did it was never perceived as when you (another observer) are reading it now.
For example to continue with Plato, Neoplatonists never called themselves Neoplatonists to them they are only Platonists. We just call them that because we made up the distinction that their way of reading Plato was much to different from our way of reading Plato

Simpleton detected

Simulation and simulacra, baby.

Everything is just copies of untrue shit, deal with it.

>how is anything I do not directly perceive with my own senses real?

How do I know you're real

How do you know I'm real

pretentious faggot detected

how do we know he was wrong

Socrates probably invented him

He gave a timestamp

Xenophon motherfucker

Socrates is attested at least in Aristophanes, Antisthenes, Xenophon, plus Plato. Plato is equally well-attested by contemporaries.

Interesting enough, if anyone here was made up, it was probably Aristotle. Blog by a pseudonymous ex-professor of this shit.

harpermcalpineblack.blogspot.com/2013/08/aristotle-was-phoney.html

his typos proved he was one person according to the intro on the Illiad i read

There are very few classics scholars today who maintain that there was a Homer, and that said Homer wrote the Iliad and the Odyssey.

First, there aren't really any typos in the epics per se. They're written in an entirely artificial form of Greek, which combines Aeolic, Doric and Ionic dialects with centuries of poetic accretion.

There are linguistic archaisms that likely put parts of the Iliad in a pre-linear B era (i.e. before 1500 BCE).

The working theory is that they are poems which were handed down through oral transmission over the course of thousands of years, and were only written down when they began to be sung by rhapsodes in competitions in Athens under Peisistratos in the 6th century BCE.

This theory first came to the fore in the wake of Albert Lord's research into the persistence of oral poetry in Serbian epic traditions. Similar kinds of things have happened with the Vedas, Ramayana, and Mahabharata.

He did a time stamp with sharpie in pooper a while back in an ama

>but we know for sure one man wrote both the Iliad and the Odyssey
We absolutely don't.

alexander the great believes it so i do too

>BCE
this triggers me so much

How can we be real, if mirrors are not?

Who cares? Whether it was made up or not his influence has spanned the millenia.

Those who refute the existence of historical figures care, and their followers. There is some agenda there, I guess, if it is so important to convince others.

>Illiad

I know this feel all too well and would love some protips on this topic

Plato, queen of /b/

I tried to look for him but couldn't make out his bones from those of a slave. I'mma go wash some vgetables and pluck the feathers off a chcken now, smell ya later dawgs.

I enjoy those School of Life's introduction videos, though the other stuff (relationship vids, positive-vibe-life-lessons) is rather bad

Am I a pleb?