Does uni, and final years of institutional education, get any better? I'm going into my 3rd year at uni for CS (Yea yea...

Does uni, and final years of institutional education, get any better? I'm going into my 3rd year at uni for CS (Yea yea, I know, just shit post your "meme career" and get it over with) and I feel like I'm going nowhere in life. I going to start doing internships in the following summer but idk what to feel.

Also, does anyone else feel that this "rounded student" meme is complete bullshit? I have to take class I could give 2 shits about, but am required because reasons

The rounded student meme made sense in its time. Universities weren't utter shit. They didn't want maximum autists coming from their schools with zero knowledge of culture, history, literature, etc and just being math robots. They wanted a degree to indicate that beyond your major, you also had some understanding of the world at large and some context for your place in it.

Also the Internet didn't exist. So if you didn't force that knowledge on people, they could end up tremendously ignorant about those things in a way that is almost impossible now because knowledge of everything is just available to you.

Rounded student meme still makes some sense to me - it's important to be forced to at least dabble in some other things. Vital information can be found on wiki but for ex. I had to take econ, and now I have a somewhat decent basis of econ knowledge and an econ textbook around for reference as well,

>wah, why do schools require me to learn, wah
>I just want the degree item so I can trigger the employability flag

What do your unis require you to do to be "well rounded"? Things like liberal arts subjects? I would really hate that, if I wanted to learn about a subject I'd read about it or take it as an elective can't imagine being forced into unrelated subjects.

t.turbo autist who would willingly waste money on how to sculpt little pots or learn about "the finer things" in old ass movies rather than focusing on your desired career or working to pay off debts/ build up a financial cushion

Welcome to america

Supposedly it's to help us "get a better understanding of the world" but I just feel like it's an excuse for shit career people to feel like they've got purpose

imagine calling someone a turbo autist while simultaneously dismissing art in its entirety and promoting STEM shit

I'm dismissing art, I'm saying why do I have to take art if I don't give a fuck about it. I'd rather save the money and actually do the things I care about

I think that there exists generally worthwhile GEs available for each requirement that you have (90% of them will be worthless garbage)

But you really have to be careful about which GE you pick. Never pick one just because you think it would be easy. Firstly, you (or your friend you heard that bullshit from) might be wrong. Secondly, you might end up really hating it.
Yes I am projecting.

The idea is to gain an appreciation for more than just your little computer screen box friend

I trained a guy that took a bunch of college classes like you. I graduated in the 98th percentile of my school, but did nothing afterward until my parents kicked me out, so that's a comparison. This guy was completely in fear, biting his lips and stuttering over himself even though he was a good 8 inches taller than me, and fit. He believed he would know everything and have more experience than me because he went to college.

Turns out all his experience came from working. College taught him the numbers. I know the numbers too, I read them while I was at work. This guy paid 20 grand for that, and he's so shut up about that 20 grand that whenever he hears me say something he learned in college, you can see him get physically frustrated that he had to PAY for that information.

Keep in mind, the man who trained ME into this job initially was a 3rd year dropout. FROM HIGHSCHOOL.

And why can't I do that on my on time. I'm not some robot that lives in the computer all day. But noooo, I have to pay the goyims all of my sheckles

Why to cheer me up on my disillusion on life

Hi. I'm in my final year at a state university for CS. I have done a single internship and have plans to have completed two internships by graduation.

Regarding your first question. The most valuable and practicable (dare I say applicable?) knowledge you learn in a CS curriculum is generally the first 2 years, maaaaaybe third year. The latter part of your third as well as your final year are almost entirely academic concepts. Theoretical, abstract concepts that sound great and make you appear really smart but have little overall basis in industry.

Regarding your "rounded student" meme question. As many have stated, it had it's place and for the majority of majors it doesn't make a whole lot of sense anymore. THAT BEING SAID, being a rounded student as a CS major makes a ton of sense. If you haven't noticed already, the vast majority of CS degree seekers tend to be social-autists and could use any exposure what so ever to the outside world. If that comes in the forced Psychology 101 or Communication 121 courses, so be it.

I would be scolded if I confronted humanity and arts majors and requested they be forced to take STEM courses so that they're employable after they get their paper. Goes both ways mate.

College is a business. They don't give a shit if you're well rounded they just want to force you to pay for more classes.

>implying that they wouldn't just deal with the classes and then not give a fuck about anything related to them once they get into their career

And idk man, I feel so useless, maybe I just need some real world exposure to my field

Thank you for stating the obvious Veeky Forums

Real world experience is a game changer, in both good and bad ways. For good, you work with pretty smart peeps all making pretty good money so there's little degeneracy (with exception to SJWs). Also, work is fun. Deploy your code and go play video games with your team. There seems to be a ton of money and time set aside for activities non-related to "work". Very different culture from what you'd expect at your standard desk job.

The bad side. My drive to do well in school is plummeted, possibly pushing me to do another semester. Once you see the real world and how it differs from the bubble that is the CS department at your school, you'll realize how little those upper classes actually matter.

Cmon man don't do this to me, my family wants to move away and I don't want to go with them, so they're waiting out for me to get started on my career, this shit is just making me depressed

If it's so obvious why was this thread even made?

You must have missed the first part of the OP.

It is what it is. I suspect it's similar in any engineering field (mech, electrical, maybe even civil).