Fiction at its best is literally just baby tier philosophy with "muh pretty words" to try to make up for it...

Fiction at its best is literally just baby tier philosophy with "muh pretty words" to try to make up for it. Prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharsis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Everything is just 'muh something'
Prove me wrong

Agreed. Literature should not be taught in schools.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharsis

Philosophy at it's best is literally just baby tier fiction with "muh pretty words" to try to make up for it. Prove me wrong.

Fiction at its best is multitudinous and grand in a way philosophy literally can't be. They're different things for a reason.

Humans at their best are just baby tier animals with "muh pretty clothes" to try to make up for it.
Prove me wrong.

Blood Meridian

Because philosophy is boring.

greek mythology, a western canon, the novel itself- why do we study these things? why have we always studied such things? so that we may discuss the pressing issues of our time, viewed detachedly, and with common terms.

When my views are informed by Alex Jones and yours are informed by free verse poems on tumblr, we can have no meeting of the minds. However, we can both read Shakespeare and then really have a go at it.

This is why attempts to reform university curriculums are foolish- the less we all must study from the canon, which is at heart a common language thousands of years old that we learn in order to discuss and debate, the less we are able to understand one another and grow as a result.

>at its best
>'best'

Philosophy doesn't realize it's just made up stuff; fiction takes advantage of the fact that it is.

Good Idea:
Looking at life according to philosophy.

Bad Idea:
Looking at life according to fiction.

>mfw plebs think philosophy and fiction have the same goals and occupy the same niche

there's nothing philosophical about most literature

>Prove me wrong.
Philosophy doesn't fictionalize.

OP has a point and you know it.

Philosophy's goal: Understanding literally everything
Fiction's goal: Sucking dick

Philosophy's nieche: Masterminds
Fiction's nieche: Pre-op trannies, numales and pic related

qt fur desu

If Fiction + pretty words = Philosophy
Then Philosophy - pretty words = Fiction

Fiction at its best is relaxing escapist pleasure. Anyone that tries to make it something "more" is actually reducing it because that's taking away its fundamental purpose.

my first day on Veeky Forums

already the best post I've ever seen

You some sort of pleb? Novels of ideas tend to be the worst because they're too philosophical and didactic. Fiction at its best heightens your consciousness and provides the types of aesthetic experience philosophers have spent large parts of their lives writing about and trying to understand.

>Fiction at its best is literally just baby tier philosophy with "muh pretty words" to try to make up for it. Prove me wrong.
>Painting at its best is literally just baby tier photography with "muh pretty colors and brush strokes" to try to make up for it. Prove me wrong.

underrated post

Shitposting at its best is literally just baby tier comedy with "muh obscure memes" to try to make up for it. Prove me wrong.

>Fiction at its best is literally just baby tier philosophy

I know this is just a shitpost, but there are a LOT of people who actually believe this. Just pick up a book written by an MFA, or check out the critique thread. Eventually there's a point where they're like "welp, I'm writing fiction, so it's about that time to explain to everyone what life is all about"

There are certain moral ambiguities that can only be conveyed in some sort of narrative. Take for example literally everything that Sophocles ever wrote, desu.

also this

Simply compare how often you are entertained by philosophy compared to good literature and characters. Then realize you are still getting a lot of the main messages of different schools of philosophy from said fiction at the same time. Metaphors, despite being fiction, are usually superior ways of getting things across to people.

This. And maybe qualia if you want to meme it up.

>Fiction at its best is relaxing escapist pleasure.

This has got to be one of the most pleb posts I've seen on Veeky Forums

You can't appreciate challenging literature that makes you think, that you have to work for?

There's plenty of literature that isn't 'relaxing' or 'escapist'

philosopy at its best still doesn't provide anything of practical use, so there's no point arguing about which is less useless.

>fundamental purpose
How do you explain most old stories being educational in nature?