What frying pans are good? needing replacement and considering to skip nonstick pans if they are not good

What frying pans are good? needing replacement and considering to skip nonstick pans if they are not good

Other urls found in this thread:

a.co/gJA1YFb
amazon.com/Matfer-Bourgeat-062005-Frying-8-Inch/dp/B000KENOTK
potshopofboston.com/collections/omelette
youtube.com/watch?v=RThnq3-d6PY
youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk
youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4
youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

if you're doing eggs, just get a nonstick

ib4 some guy does amazing eggs in stainless or something

stainless is pretty good otherwise

ceramic for a pan is sort of odd but do what you gotta do

cast iron is heavy, but ok. good for steaks

Get a restaurant supply aluminum, a lodge cast iron, and a cheap non-stick if you make eggs frequently. That should set you back ~$50.

After that you should get a sense of what you like/need and move on to stainless steel, enameled cast iron, and carbon steel.

And if you're going to be lazy and just get one pan, but don't really know what you're doing, better to get something like an Analon hard anodized non-stick than a deBuyer mineral B, which you you need to put effort into to get results out of.

Lodge carbon steel skillets are the shit. We use them at work. It works like cast iron but not as heavy. Also much better for sauteing than cast iron imo. Great for eggs

>What frying pans are good?

Why do people ask questions like that without specifying what they want to use them for?

My preferences are to get three:

1) a restaurant store brand (like tramontina or eagleware) nonstick. properly cared for these will last for years compared to a cheap walmart one, and they are much thicker so they heat more evenly too. use for eggs and other foods that stick easily.

2) cast iron for high heat use, searing, etc. Also good as a substitute for a wok when you don't have a really strong gas burner (store up the heat in the thick iron)

3) copper-core stainless clad for when you want to generate a fond for later deglazing (pan sauces). The best is Demeyere Atlantis, but they cost a pretty penny. Update International is very good value for money here.

All the pans should be 100% metal with no plastic anywhere, that way they are oven safe and can go under the broiler when needed.

>oven safe and can go under the broiler when needed

Forgot to mention that in my posts. Definitely a necessity.

>le restaurant supply maymay
While this isn't bad advice for someone without a credit card or the ability to order stuff on Amazon or access to a TJMaxx type store, there's plenty of decent cookware available at 75% off retail through a number of different channels, and it will perform every bit as well as le restaurant supply memepans, if not better since a lot of those pans are completely unlined and will make your tomato sauce taste like aluminum.

Also copper core stainless clad is a huge waste of money, if you're not bothering with 2.5mm 18/10 lined copper, just stick with monometallic aluminum with stainless liner, it will perform light years better than 3 microns of copper sandwiched between thin layers of aluminum

>le homecook knows better than 99% of every restaurant in the country maymay

>le restaurant cooking is le same as home cooking maymay
restaurant supply stuff is meant to be abused until it's unrecognizable and then tossed and replaced, stop pretending that's relevant for someone cooking 3 meals a day instead of 500

Generally if you have to ask this question, I'd recommend either the restaurant supply option if you don't have a TJ Maxx/Marshalls/HomeGoods around you. If you're diligent in looking at those places you can get high-end Calphalon nonstick and All-Clad stainless for up to 75% off. If you live in a smaller city where that's not as likely then definitely go to the restaurant supply for nonstick and a carbon steel pan.

Amazon is also your friend, but I shouldn't have to tell you that.
a.co/gJA1YFb

>restaurant supply stuff is meant to be abused until it's unrecognizable and then tossed and replaced

So how does that make it somehow sub-par for home cooking? Especially for a beginner?

Sorry if that was incomprehensible... I mean go for the discount store option before you check out the restaurant supply.

I have the Cuisinart set, it's very nice. Tramontina is the cheapest option and it's also a very good set despite the source

clarification: steel clad is the way to go and those are two brand options

for one the restaurant aluminum pans that are a good deal are unlined, rendering them less useful for cooking with acids. you can get lined ones but at that point you're at the same price point as a decent home-use pan. also, the handles are abysmal because the restaurant users are just going to use towels for everything. might as well have a nice stay cool handle, no? or are you too edgy urban chef for that?

don't get me wrong a restaurant supply shop is a way better deal than shopping at williams-sonoma, but only because W-S is so overpriced. if it's between eagleware and a decent all-clad pan at nearly the same price, the all clad pan is a way better deal. nicer handles, better lining (as opposed to no lining), and lids that fit (as opposed to universal lids that "kindasorta pretty much doesn't not fit" that you'll get at a restaurant supply)

but you have to shop around for the discounted all clad stuff (or cuisinart or whatever). it requires knowledge of what to look for and knowledge of where to look for it.

I mean if you get your rocks off going to a grungy industrial estate and paying cash for your utilitarian-chic eagleware then by all means do so - a lot of people consider "nice looking" stuff to be too womanish or whatever. but when you look past fashion, the restaurant supply stuff is not that much better than a properly selected home cooking pan.

>or are you too edgy urban chef for that?

Kek. I have 5 years on the line, so yeah, using a dish towel to hold the handle is second nature to me.

I use All-Clad at home, but every piece was 3 figures, and not something I'd recommend to a beginner when RS aluminum is $10-20 a piece.

For the most part, one pan will do everything you want to do if you choose the right one. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a metal handled aluminium pan that you can put in the oven too. You can get those fairly cheap. Something with higher sides is nice if you want some versatility and a lid if you want to use it for other cool stuff. You can get that at a restaurant supply store. Failing that, you don't really need anything expensive or special.

A non-stick is essential for eggs and I like to invest in a good one. Out of all the ones I've tried, I find the Baccarat pans have the best and most hard wearing non-stick coating. I use an id3, but their other pans are good too. Avoid Circulon and Tefal. Those are shitty and lose their coating very quickly. Anolon is good but very, very expensive. The Baccarat is better bang for buck and has the harder wearing coat.

>every piece was 3 figures
see also: "it requires knowledge of what to look for and knowledge of where to look for it." the odd thing is, you assume the op, a "beginner", is knowledgeable enough to navigate a professional restaurant equipment shop, which are usually just a bunch of unlabeled goods with a price tag stuck to them and staff that are not interested in babysitting someone who doesn't know what a splayed sauce pan is or what it's used for. but somehow the op isn't smart enough to find deep-discounted home cookware at a TJMax or on the internet

>not something I'd recommend to a beginner when RS aluminum is $10-20 a piece.

an unlined aluminum pan is not something I'd recommend to a beginner unless they enjoy the taste of aluminum-flavored tomato sauce

Unlined handles are based af. You can take the pan directly from the stove and put it in the oven.

you can put a stay-cool handle in the oven, user, since they are made of pure metal

you're probably thinking of those nasty rubber handles that come on adcraft/eagleware/lincoln/etc restaurant pans

Regular old all-clad stainless line is the way to go for everyday pans A 12" and a 8". You can get the D5 line if you like rolled edges on your saucepans; it makes gentle pouring a bit easier. I don't use them. Never buy copper core shit it's shitty marketing. Also get a carbon steel pan like in your OP they brown as well as cast iron and can cook gently for omelettes, eggs, and fish. They are enough non-stick for these tasks and they can go into a 500 degree oven for pan roasting. But a 12" cast iron skillet is 35 bucks and indestructible, might as well get one sometime and If I had only 1 pan to cook with then it would be a 12" cast iron.

Don't fall into the restaurant supply shit, buy good shit. I rarely see le creuset dutch ovens in restaurants, but I swear by mines and I'll be damned if I braise shit in a hotel pan covered with aluminum foil

>I'll be damned if I braise shit in a hotel pan covered with aluminum foil

>he doesn't own a $45000 industrial strength convection oven

Kek.

Anyone heard of this pan, and is it any good? Has decent ratings and is affordable ($50 usd). Is carbon steel a good idea for a relative beginner with electric coil stove?

amazon.com/Matfer-Bourgeat-062005-Frying-8-Inch/dp/B000KENOTK

Why doesn't Veeky Forums have a sticky for this shit?

Everyone here who knows anything is too much of a drunk to write one.

Cast iron is all u need.

I just recommended it here, , you dangus. Read the thread! It's good, I mean it's pretty hard to fuck up a carbon steel pan, and MB has been doing it for a while.

Yeah, everytime I see or hear this it reminds me of the guys who say "all u need is a Chinese cleaver and that's it :^)"
I mean, sure you could do everything in one cast iron pan, but it's kind of clunky for a fair amount of things.

i have no idea about pans. my mother left me a bunch of them. i mostly use just one of them. the deepest one. are these all thrash? also what purpose are the wider ones? one of is for pancakes and is the thinnest one for eggs?

pls help

another pic

I have 3 different frying pans that i use depending on what i'm cooking;

> Good quality non-stick, Tefal brand, gets used for 90% of frying since for a home cook this is mostly eggs, bacon, sausage etc.. The pan ois aluminium, reasonably thick.

> Standard un-coated aluminium, best used for currys since it encourages sticking during cooking which builds up a nice "fond" Stainless pans will also do this but are heavier + more expensive for a good one.

> Carbon steel skillet. I have a de buyer mineral pan, its very good and heavy but even properly seasoned is no where near as non-stick as a teflon pan, don't fall for the meme. I use this to sear meats only really. Or for any hob to oven cooking.

I didn't say one, I said cast iron is all u need. OP asked about a frying pan and imo cast iron does the best job at that, not just because of nonstick but also heat distribution.

Go back to bed kid,

>Faggot with the intelligence of a 6 year old detected.

What a Rhodes Scholar you are.

>Year of what white uprising 2017
>Believing cast iron has good heat distribution compared to aluminium
>Not gonna make it

>Cast iron is all you need

Keep telling yourself that when your attempting to make an acidic pan sauce.

Cast iron is not all you need retard. It's good but there are things it can't do like certain kinds of sauces. Ceramics are good if your looking for a one size fits all, imo.

pls respond. what pans are the more shinier ones? most are teflon but some of them are more smooth and shinier

Just go to TJ Max or Marshalls and get a mirrored stainless skillet and whatever non stick. You won't have to worry about acid and they will both clean up easy. The only thing to really worry about is get one with an all metal handle that's riveted to the pan, so you can go from stove too directly to the oven.

not this shit again

Not sure how those are called in english, but here in France we call them "façon pierre" which roughly means "stone style".
Got 2 of them and after more than a couple of years, they're still non sticky and efficient.

just fucking use them, see if you like em.
buy new ones if you dont

>for one the restaurant aluminum pans that are a good deal are unlined...

You misread the post. He specifically recommend NONSTICK pans.

>>can get lined ones but at that point you're at the same price point as a decent home-use pan

Yes. But the restaurant store ones are much more durable and thicker so they heat more evenly. The point isn't to save money, it's to buy a better quality pan that will last longer and perform better.

>>the handles are abysmal because the restaurant users are just going to use towels for everything. might as well have a nice stay cool handle, no?

Nope. The stay-cool handles are not oven safe and they're often prone to failure. Quality, user. Besides which, the brands suggested come with silicone handle covers so they are cool to the touch anyway.

These pans. I used to get about a year of use out of a normal supermarket or walmart pan before the coating deteriorated. I've had one of these for 6 years now (literal daily use cooking for my family) and it's still going strong. It also heats much more evenly because it's about twice as thick.

They cost about 2-3 times what a Tfal or whatever costs. So yeah, they're a little pricey. But they are nowhere near the cost of the fancy brands, williams-sonoma, all-clad etc.

>restaurant store ones are much more durable and thicker so they heat more evenly.
I know this "feels true" because everyone wants to think he's sticking it to the man by buying le industrial chic memepans but I just tossed a 10 year old adcraft pan that was thoroughly beaten to death and replaced it with a calphalon pan and the performance is indistinguible. The calphalon was $35 in late 2016 and the adcraft was $39 around 2007. Obviously, the calphalon was not full retail but there's no rule that says you have to shop at Williams Sonoma

As for the handles I have no idea what you're trying to say by "not oven safe", if it's metal, it's oven safe.

Go to Sam's club. Near the back, by all the paper plates and shit will be their restaurant supply section. Buy the large and medium non stick pans. Should last you about 400 years.

Buy the pan in your photo, OP. It's fucking fantastic, especially when it starts getting a patina.

>"all u need is a Chinese cleaver and that's it :^)"
but i mean actual chinese pro chefs literally only use a cleaver as an all-purpose knife. it's just that they were trained on the single knife for a decade prior.

Carbon steel master race reporting.

>Lodge carbon steel skillets are the shit.

They really are a great deal.

30 bucks for a 12 inch skillet that you can use on everything, including open flames.

I didn't realize how good carbon steel was for cooking until I got a carbon steel wok and used that fucker over my gas turkey cooker. Shit takes high heat, doesn't stick, and can be thrown in the oven, or over a grill / campfire.

Carbon steel is the bomb.

>A non-stick is essential for eggs

Why?

I've used stainless, cast iron, and carbon steel without having sticking issues.

Why do people keep repeating this "non-stick for eggs" meme?

Always keep a small to medium sized non stick skillet in the kitchen for working with eggs.

Other than that... use whatever else you want. Try to stick with something stainless if going for acidic sauces.

I have an "analon advanced hard anodized" nonstick skillet that I've cooked almost every dish in for near.. 10 years now... it looks almost brand new and is still very nonstick. I wouldn't entirely recommend it because part of the handle is silicon and part of the handle is metal and if you aren't careful you can burn yoruself on the part that is metall... its a stupid design...

But non stick is great. it doesn't get a lot of praise around here.. but its the work horse in most residential and commercial kitchens.

>commence autistic screatching about there being no nonstick pans in commercial kitchen
>commence fucktards that haven't actually worked in a high rated commercial kitchen

>Why do people keep repeating this "non-stick for eggs" meme?

because it's not a meme.

Ask any real chef and they'll tell you to start with a nonstick skillet if available. if not available, it can be done in other types of pans with larger amounts of butter and differing amounts of success.

Go watch Julia Childs tell people how to make an omellete and see what type of pan she suggests...

Let me guess... you think that non stick skillet technology has gotten worse since the 1960s when she suggested it....

>julia chllds wasn't shilling for her own shit.
Anyway, originally it was a seasoned cast aluminum pan.

potshopofboston.com/collections/omelette

>Go watch Julia Childs...

Bitch never worked a day in a restaurant in her life, and you hold her up as some kind of "expert" because she had a show? I bet you think Bill Nye is a real "scientist" too, don't you?

Our kitchen NEVER used non-stick pans for anything, including eggs.

So please tell me WHY you think you can't cook eggs in non-stick pans.

There is soooo much anger around here when people mention nonstick..

its so funny.

its like shitty cast iron pans are a religion to some people. so fuckin weird...

>So please tell me WHY you think you can't cook eggs in non-stick pans.

I didn't say you couldn't... you just have to use more butter so that it doesn't stick.

nonstick is easy.. heat the pan, drop in an egg, wait 3 minutes, slide the egg out the pan.

Good luck doing that with any other pan in the world...

>potshopofboston.com/collections/omelette

"inspired by julia childs visit to our shop"

FUCKING LOLS.

Just listen to what Julia actually has to say on the subject:

youtube.com/watch?v=RThnq3-d6PY

>Bitch never worked a day in a restaurant in her life, and you hold her up as some kind of "expert" because she had a show?

Do you have a show? No.. you're a shitty line cook using cheap commodity pans that your manager told you to use.

Shut the fuck up.

In high end kitchens (the kind you don't work in) they use non stick skillets to produce superior and repeatable results on many difficult to cook dishes.

Yes you can sear a steak in cast iron.. we get it.

You can fuck off now.

>nonstick is easy.. heat the pan, drop in an egg, wait 3 minutes, slide the egg out the pan.

I do that with a stainless pan.....or my carbon steel wok.....or any other pan I let get appropriately hot enough to prevent sticking.

That's what I've seriously been wondering. Why, when omelettes are centuries old, we have to have a chemically derived 2 year throwaway to cook something people have been cooking for centuries? Doesn't make sense except in terms of marketing. I don't own a nonstick pan and make omelettes all the time. It's nonsense.

>I do that with a stainless pan.....or my carbon steel wok.....or any other pan I let get appropriately hot enough to prevent sticking.

Enjoy your eggs that have been burned to shit.

Because technology can make our lives easier, even when we were able to do something without it previously.

Kind like how we used to use axes to cut down trees.. but now we use gigantic machines.

In this case, you can use far less fat and lower cooking temps to make a superior egg dish.

And they aren't 2 year throw aways. I have had several nonstick pans now for over 10 years. If you can stop from scraping metal shit over the surface of your pans like a fucking dingle they will last forever.

I have a T-fal nonstick that I've used to cook.. probably thousands of eggs and grilled cheese sandwiches on. its still perfectly nonstick for both eggs and cheese. you can't do that in any other pan without a ton of fats or temperatures that will burn everything else in the pan...

>Do you have a show?

No, nigger, we made our living actually cooking food for paying customers, and we did it without non-stick pans.

Bitter cunt.

>I don't own a nonstick pan and make omelettes all the time. It's nonsense.

Uni student here, what sort of one-size-fits-all pan would you recommend? I have a gas hob.

Also, do you need to season carbon steel or is that just for cast iron?

>and we did it without non-stick pans.
>Because our wage paying overlords couldn't trust us to treat the equipment with respect.

If you worked in a good restaurant, and were a good chef, you would be using non stick.

Let me guess.. you prefer not to bake with silicon impregnated parchment paper because you like scraping baked goods off your pans...

Yeah.. that's what i thought...

You love non-stick - you just can't admit it because of your religious fervor for bare metal for some reason...

I don't understand this at all... you hick-ass honky folk are soooo fucked up on this meme...

>do you need to season carbon steel

Yes.

Carbon steel is a great choice for you as it can do everything, and is practically indestructible.

If you really want one and ONLY one pan, it should be stainless. If you can stand to have two, you should have a cast iron as well.

Yes, carbon steel needs seasoning. It's super easy. Use Crisco or flaxseed oil.

From what I read about seasoning, you just stick it in the oven for a bit with the oil in until the metal reacts. Is that literally all there is to it?

>If you worked in a good restaurant, and were a good chef, you would be using non stick.

No, you wouldn't.

You'd have designated, and seasoned, omelette pans, like every other good restaurant.

All I'm saying is that you can make anything, without sticking, without the need to buy a non-stick pan. Non-stick pans are similar to training wheels on a bicycle in that they are helpful to noobs, but you don't really need them, especially after you get some experience.

>you can't do that in any other pan without a ton of fats or temperatures that will burn everything else in the pan...

Carbon steel pans are the traditional omelet pans.
Are non-stick enough for anything.
youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk

>Yes.

You will need to season, and reseason, and reseason.. and you can never really clean it.

unlike non-stick that you don't need to season and can run through a dishwasher... have fun with that shit!

people will come in and meme next about high temp teflon degradation... but the maillard reactions happen at 320 to 400 degree temps and teflon break down doesn't happen till much higher temps.

if you are cooking above maillard reaction temps you are just burning the food...

but then again.. some people have shit taste and like burned food...

>but then again.. some people have shit taste and like burned food...
Or they pan roast in 500 degree ovens.

Were Japanese pans folded back when they didn't know how to make a hot enough furnace for runny metal?

That is a technique, and there are many.

This dude breaks it down pretty well.

youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4

Yeah.... we get it.. you can sear a steak.

Even in the video, you can tell that the egg is already burning and its extremely runny on top.

Guess what? anyone can do that. I did it on a rock once at a beach that was in a fire... shit was delicious.

you know what works better and easier for cooking eggs at a lower temp? nonstick skillets.

japan didn't /doesn't use many pans for cooking

most things are simmered or grilled in either earthenware or over charcoal

Every egg in that video, omellete and over easy, BURNED.

i have
4 fry pans:
3 cast iron 6-14"
1 stainless ~ 14"

4 stock pots
1 glass ~ 3 litres
2 good quality enameled cast iron 3 and 12 litres
1 steel ~ 12 litres
i would like another steel or quality enamled cast iron ~ 6 litres

2 dutch ovens
1 poor quality enamled cast iron ~ 3 litres
1 cast iron ~ 6 litres
i would like another ceramic or good quality one ~ 6 litres

1 25 litre aluminum pressure cooker

1 good quality large enamled cast iron casserole

various smaller baking trays, squares, roasting pans

i don't bother with non stick, it just seems chintzy and i don't buiy anything with plastic handles

>Yeah.... we get it.. you can sear a steak.
And you cook an omelette. I mean I can using Jacque Pepins technique where he uses a fork.

OUch! can't do that with shit pans and expect to last 3 months.
youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU

Ugh.

"Patina."

How fucking meme can you get.

>You will need to season, and reseason, and reseason.. and you can never really clean it.

That's just not true, though, user.

My carbon wok, skillet, and cast iron dutch oven are all seasoned, and all I do to clean them is run them under water and sponge them out, and that's it. Then I just heat them, oil them, and store them.

Do you ever cook in them though?

>look at my precious pans... they are carbon steel! I SAID LOOK DON'T TOUCH!!!

I use some chopsticks to move the egg around personally.. if you very lightly use a fork you can get away with it.

Its hilarious to watch you rail against non-stick, while posting Pepin videos in which he uses non-stick.

>look at my precious pans... they are carbon steel! I SAID LOOK DON'T TOUCH!!!
All that projection from years of trying to protect the surface of his 3M NONstick pan which would flake of the pan if you even think about using a fork on it.

Pepin is worth 30million bucks. He has places give him pans.

That's actually a really helpful video. Only question I have left is when should I re-season it? He seems to imply you don't really need to unless you see the layer going, but other people say you re-oil every time you use it.

I've cooked in them several times a week and thrown them into the dishwasher at least once a week. They look brand new. How hard is it to use silicon and wooden cooking utensils?

The benefit is that I don't have to reseason my pans everytime i use them and I don't have to burn the ingredient i am cooking to get them to "release."

They are super cheap too... I think I paid 8 bucks for my T-Fal which has lasted me a dozen years or more.

Are you people in so much debt because of the hundreds you spent on antique cast iron and carbon steel pans that you can't take 8 dollars and buy a pan you can actually cook an unburned egg in?

You guys are just unbelievable. You're like the guys that still refuse to shave with anything but a straight razor. You know there is a better way these days right?

I've never had to re-season any of my carbon steel or cast iron.

The re-oiling is simply what you do after you use it for storage to protect it from rust.

if you season it right anddon't simmer acids or clean the shit out of them you might have to reseason it once a year

i don't think i've reseasoned mine in a few years because i'm pretty good for not simmering acids or cleaning the shit out of it

cleaning the shit includes soaking it EVER and/ or using soap

that guys video is sound but if you have an oven that can go to 500 or more (or even self clean, if it has it) that works a lot better (and doesn't stink your kitchen up with smoke)

>How hard is it to use silicon and wooden cooking utensils?
See I don't have to worry about that, since I can use metal I choose to do it. I like using the best tool for the job; its why I choose carbon steel for my egg pan. It's inexpensive and lasts forever. What you mouthbreathers don't understand is that it seasons as you USE it. ie Cooking. Plus, I get them from restaurant supply stores that cater to actual cooks, Like vollrath, rather than soccer moms who can't use pans that aren't nonstick. ie (you)

why would you use metal utensils on any seasoned pan? that's not the best tool for the job

Pretty much every day, user.

>why would you use metal utensils on any seasoned pan?

Why would you not use metal? Do you think the griddle cooktops at your local greasy spoon is teflon? or that they don't use metal turners?

>trying to flip meat with wimpy plastic or silicone
It's like you WANT all your browning to stay on the bottom of the pan.

>why would you use metal utensils

Why wouldn't you?

The only people that worry about metal utensils are those that are trying to protect their special snowflake non-stick surfaces.

The rest of us use metal.

>a cooktop is a seasoned pan

there's no plastic or silcone in my kitchen, user

i still wouldn't use metal on a seasoned pan

>a cooktop is a seasoned pan
It's a very large seasoned surface made from the same material as pans that you have to season. Did you honestly not know this? All your opinions should immediately be discarded.

>it's not shaped like a pan so it's completely different!

Tomorrow, by 12:00 PM central, I'll show you an omelette cooked by a homecook in a stainless pan. I suspect this thread might not still be going, and if it's not, I'll post as a new thread.

I'm sick of this adherence to a chemically manufactured marketing that makes us believe we can't live simply.

make it Classic french.
>no pleats
>no browning
>custard like center