Can crisp-r be used to extend the length of telomeres and subsequently the lifespan of humans?

Can crisp-r be used to extend the length of telomeres and subsequently the lifespan of humans?

Other urls found in this thread:

newatlas.com/telomerase-aging-harvard-reverse-process-telomeres/17107/
nature.com/nature/journal/v469/n7328/full/nature09603.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, indirectly, by disrupting telomerase silencing.

But you'd just get cancer.

Fucking brainlet....

I'd gladly have cancer if it meant living for thousands of years.

Cancer's in right now senpai

The goal isn't to disrupt silencing, it's to extend it's length so cells have a longer lifespan before being unable to undergo cell division anymore you fucking brainlet.

I wonder what would happen if we made it iterative? Like if we left in the ability for telomeres to be lost so cancer doesn't kick in, but we also add the ability for it to be added, and every other time we undergo cell division, two psuedosteps which do nothing are added to the dna. These psuedosteps only exist to be removed again during cell division and are programmed get readded to the new cell.

For for the nanobots senpai

Pretty nifty idea you have there famalam, essentially using non-functional portions as a cyclic armor to prevent dna damage

I can't even imagine how we could reliably assemble such a sequence with our current tech though

I can't believe I was just called a brainlet by someone who doesn't even k ow the difference between 'telomere' and 'telomerase.' The Dunning-Kruger effect is real.

Can CRISPER makes me stupider? Living the life of a genius is painful, I wish I am numb to existentialist thoughts.

then you'd die from cancer faggot.

>not just feeding the cancer
We have the technology user

Can crispr make me even more Chad?

>tfw too smart to want to make myself dumb

Pic related
Also postdoc astrophysics

why does this remind me of prions
prions are bad
this seems bad

Become an alcoholic

Huff some gas, famalam.
Expand your inner horizons while diminishing your financial prospects.
Ross brand rubber cement works bretty gud too.

Telomeres shortening just means we can't live longer than 120 years, but we all die well before that.
Having them longer wouldn't change our lifespan.

so set crispr to attack cancer then

>Veeky Forums is full of nerds obsessed with living longer
>nobody here works out, everyone is probably a DYEL or fatass as per the nerd stereotypes

You're have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, you're clinically retarded.

have a (you)'re

It's not just Veeky Forums, I think you'll find any demographic full of people who want the most reward for the least work.

A better question is why the fuck do people have so much mental stamina for grinding shitty MMOs when you can do grindey tasks in real life that actually have a real benefit?

>mental stamina for grinding shitty MMOs when you can do grindey tasks in real life that actually have a real benefit?
Not as engaging

>work out
>have maybe 20 more years at most as an old fart

There is no point in extending telomeres if you are just a resource wasting dumbass

Can crispr be used to cure the dark side of human cooperation, otherwise known as groupthink, otherwise known as going to war, otherwise known as bullying? In already existing people, preferably.

Assuming I'm not a 'resource wasting dumbass' (I am one, but let's just assume I'm not for the sake of argument)

Of course everything outside of MMOs is not as engaging. MMOs are more engaging than everything else by design. That's the whole point.

I was thinking it could possibly be done simply by increasing everyone's intelligence across the board. Intelligent people tend to be more compassionate, and they tend to be more in control of their impulses.

Can I be chad with cripsr?

Alternatively if we give people the potential of infinite lifespan, it seems like it becomes risky to play the "well I'll be dead before anything bad would come back to bite me" card. Unless you completely obliterate your opposition, destructive behavior seems riskier.

Maybe diplomacy more viable when everyone feels they have more to lose?

daily reminder that the jews financed the invention of CRISPR (which is a meme) to stagnate the genetic engineering industry

This could work. On top of that, even the dumbest of dumbs become somewhat wiser and therefore more mellow and calm in their older years. I think eternal life in itself could be beneficial in raising our overall intelligence, and therefore reduce the impulse for conflict.

Provide sources for your claims. A video of a group of science Jews saying " we will finance the invention of crispr to stagnate the genetic engineering industry" Then laughing maniacally.

That would be sweet.

so brings the starter set to something thats not a frog

If humanity gains a form of immortality. What does it do to stop the end of the universe?

I sometimes wonder about this.

The best answer I can think of is that there is so much yet to know, we can't currently say for sure that we _can't_ stop the end of the universe.

Time will tell.

> can't currently say for sure that we _can't_ stop the end of the universe.

Yes we can. wanna know hoe? Because there's no distinction between end and beginning. The universe occupys all physical states at once

Are you talking about the block universe? Yes, I believe in that, but that doesn't mean the time "tube" doesn't have a point at one end where it's just a singularity. Call this what you would like, but there is a useful distinction between that point and all other points.

Why don't certain organisms get cancer even though they can live extremely long lifes? Like tortoises or lobsters?

Also some moles

this is a question i would too like to know the answer

Turtles are cold blooded. they also have slow heart rates. animals with slow heart rates use less oxygen than animals with faster heart rates, there seems to be a correlation between heart rate and rate at which an organisms body uses oxygen. less oxygen means less cell division, less cell division means a lower probability of cancerous mutations developing.

There should be a correlation between an animals heart rate and rate of cancer in a species.

Yes, however I have read that tortoises have been considered being effectively biologically immortal. Whenever you see a tortoises die, it's never from old age but disease or trauma. The same with lobsters, except lobsters just grow larger with age. That correlation you've referred too seems to be something that applies to mammals.

Jellyfish are biologically immortal as well. Sadly they get their stuff by literally going back to an earlier state when they get too old.

>that doesn't mean the time "tube" doesn't have a point at one end where it's just a singularity

what?

Wait

Extending the lifetime of a cell increases the chance for cancer, right? But on the other hand, it didn't divide into a new one, which also increases the chance of random mutations, therefor reducing the chance of cancer by not having it divide as rapidly, or somewhat cancelling out the negative effect, correct? In that case you get an extended life for a very minimum (if any) increase to the chance you develop cancer, which is quite a good trade.

For all intensive purposes, the universe does have a "beginning", at least.

We cure cancer: we cure death
Boom
Easy
Next problem

20 is fucking alot, considering we will probably soon have an ability to prolong our lifetime. The more you survive now, the bigger the chances that you will live forever. So winning 20 years is good i would say

Well, if we cure cancer we will for sure cure some death.

nah, telemorase is a way to do it tho as they actually do the work. If you overclock it too much you get cancer.
Or you could just eat/drink/infuse yourself with baby blood. Keep that fresh 20k telemere length freshin up your body. But the best would be to have a specialized telomere length based on your age to make it always stay at around 20k. You can never keep the body from dying, but you can keep feeding it. Which is why we eat, which is why we will infuse ourselves in the future. Which is why we will have at-least 3 more organs in the future.

Early forms of biological immortality for Humans: 2036

Affordable/Decent biological immortality for Humans: 2056.

It's a long ride to one of humanity's ultimate achievements Veeky Forums

telomere length isn't directly related to length of human life you fckin morons

plus telomeres consist of RNA and CRISPR is just a palindromic DNA sequence

yes it is you retard. Aging is very likely due at least in a major party by telomere shortening.
newatlas.com/telomerase-aging-harvard-reverse-process-telomeres/17107/

>nature.com/nature/journal/v469/n7328/full/nature09603.html
>tfw your study is a mice study
>tfw the author of the study concedes there isn't enough evidence yet to support direct correlation between telomere length and age