Anyone read this? Going to have to read it for a class soon and some of the details I know about it have me wary

Anyone read this? Going to have to read it for a class soon and some of the details I know about it have me wary

Are those details that it's written by a nonwhite woman who talks about race and immigration?

It's a great book

More that I find I generally dislike stories about immigration. You can only say "I feel bad because I left my homeland and this new place isn't like my homeland" so many times.
Not that that's what this HAS to be, it's just a detail I'm wary about, like I said.

My professor is also beginning to talk about feminism and marxism and blah blah muh /pol/ opinions.

You must have read some poor ones then.

Zadie is not a very good writer and only gets attention because she is female and black

(Wew)

>Zadie is not a very good writer and only gets attention because she is qt and a friend of DFW
FTFY

>No one (including me) have read any of Zadie Smith's work. I am only making a rash decision based upon my racist and misogynistic bias
FTFY

Yes, I feel the same for Don Dellio, he only gets respect because he is white and male, his prose sucks, he don't have anything worthwhile to say, his characters are like cut out of cardboard and are generally lifeless and lacks passion and act accordingly to his whims, he has not control over his writing, write lengthy digressions and rehashes same plot of life and death again and again, without anything worthwhile to say.

>he only gets respect because he is white and male,

IMHO it's because Americans are obsessed with finding 'The Great American Novel', the big thing that captures their garbage lifestyle, and DeLillo writes novels that are obviously in pursuit of that 'ideal'. They love him for that and hope he legitimizes the US.

I've only read snippets, but it seemed pretty funny and readable.

It was a Booker prize winner, so it will at least have a certain level of quality, whether you think its the right level or not.

She proved that a young black woman could write as boringly as an old white man.

They're all poor ones. I just don't care.

"qt and a friend of DFW" isn't a race

Why does no one use the word mysogyny correctly?

Because women are worthless whores

What did ya'll think of NW?

Didn't enjoy it as much as On Beauty or White Teeth but found it better than The Autograph Man. Maybe I need to reread it though, as I read it when I was younger, and much more of a casual reader.

If you're only looking for writers to tell you a new story every time you open a book then most literature is probably going to be lost on you. The "reading for the plot lmao" meme is of course hyperbolic, but plot really shouldn't be your primary concern. The difference between your average disaster movie and White Noise is Don Delillo's skill as a writer.

I find Caro's biographies of Lyndon Johnson rewarding even though I don't *like* stories about the political maneuvers of nerdy Texans. It's Caro who makes them worth reading, and I think Zadie Smith can do that for you too if you set aside your own identity politics.

what a supreme bait.

Read White Teeth, really loved it! Smith is a stupidly precocious author... inspires a lot of envy. Watch some of her interviews: whip-smart girl.

Read it. Very cinematic feel. Follows three generations. Reminds me of Dickens in the way the lives of two families intersect.

I actually read it. I enjoyed the first part but little after that. I couldn't recommend this book, and I enjoy almost everything I read.

Had to drop it after the pre-requisite scene where the characters have a long, conspicuous discussion about the theme of the novel. It's just a crafty, boring turd.

>I enjoyed the first part but little after that.
Her later work is a little more consistent. You might enjoy something like On Beauty more...

>I enjoy almost everything I read.
...however you are clearly a pleb.