30 years before this picture was taken, jet aircraft didn't even exist...

30 years before this picture was taken, jet aircraft didn't even exist. The whole project was kept top secret until the public wouldn't be too amazed by the aircraft's capabilities anymore as technology in mainstream society advanced. What kind of insane classified things do you think governments of world powers today are hiding that use technology that didn't exist 30 years ago in a way we couldn't even imagine yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37
lockheedmartin.com/us/products/compact-fusion.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marauder
youtu.be/psdtKHyefwA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

well, it has been like 47 years since they faked the moon landing
so maybe they're finally approaching the technology required to do it for real?

Someone should make a series of Veeky Forums smuggies for people like you. We could call them scmuggies.

What would be the utility of such a vessel?

Well I Cannot say,
For I signed a NDA,
Maybe ask the NSA?

Someone out there has had his or hers mind transferred to a computer.
There must also be a functioning AI and fusion plant somewhere.

AI. I bet they have much more advanced AI than the machine learning/pattern regoc you generally see in academia

Tough to say user, Most people don't even know that the U.S. Airforce has been flying into space any time they feel like it for years now after the Shuttles. Yesterday maybe, five minutes ago, any time. It's not even classified.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37

The actual secret shit, your guess is as good as mine.

The X-37 isn't classified, but it's payload usually is. (Although I'd wager the whole thing would be classified if it hadn't originally started under NASA).

Also it's less anytime and more all the time. Since entering service in 2010, the two X-37Bs have racked up more mileage than all the space shuttles combined.

>tfw you will never know the secrets
what is even the point of it all
science can't figure you out the secrets of the government, let alone the universe

why do we even try

there are definitely satellites in orbit right now that could detonate a huge city in an instant

same as three shells, u ignorant brainlet

>What kind of insane classified things

Nothing. The manifestation of Material Objects into the World started yielding diminishing returns a long time ago. The Technology of 1916 was qualitatively and quantitatively superior to that of 1816, but the Technology of 2016 is basically identical to that of 1916.

It's over.

what

>jet aircraft didn't even exist.
But the Nazis?

pic is from 1968, first jet flew in 1939, so even though 1938 is only 1 year before that the statement is still true. also the aircraft in the pic first flew in 1962 so its not like it barely makes it

Ah dangit I read too fast.

>yfw that works on EM-drives and not fucking rockets

it is silent in every single witness account

I guess what hes saying is that although our technology is far more advanced in detail, the basic principles of it were discovered long time ago.
For example: although our modern jet engines are fare superior to the ones in the fifties they operate on the same principles that were already known at the beginning of the 20th century. Actual groundbreaking new discoveries resulting in new technology are very rare nowadays.

jet engines arent that high tech tho.

DELET

>The whole project was kept top secret until the public wouldn't be too amazed by the aircraft's capabilities anymore

That's, uh... not why things are kept secret, user.

>What kind of insane classified things do you think governments of world powers today are hiding that use technology that didn't exist 30 years ago in a way we couldn't even imagine yet?

The dankest memes you could possibly imagine.

Danker than that, actually... Ultra-dank memes that have their own meme-sphere.

Triple stitch textiles, 300 proof rum, ultra-rare pokemon cards, facebook games that don't suck, Final Fantasy 2 english release cartridges, food pills, left handed pipe wrenches, bigfoot, distilled humor, proof that P=NP when N>1, Natural perfect spheres... you know, the important stuff.

A motor producing 1 millinewton of thrust would probably be silent, yes.

I've always found it more likely these are just electrokinetic blimps.

Alcubierre drives. We'll be powering through space in ten years.

>30 years before this picture was taken, jet aircraft didn't even exist. The whole project was kept top secret until the public wouldn't be too amazed by the aircraft's capabilities anymore as technology in mainstream society advanced.

I don't quite follow, OP. The first I ever heard of this plane was in 1965, when I was perusing an "Observer's Book of Aircraft" published that year. The book claims it entered flight test stage in 64. So the public was informed pretty much the same year as it flew for the (reportedly) first time. How much do you think society got or needed to get prepared in that same year?

>a purely experimental proof of concept is optimized for maximum efficiency

>What kind of insane classified things do you think governments of world powers today are hiding that use technology that didn't exist 30 years ago in a way we couldn't even imagine yet?
Genetic technology, for use as weapons. Wackypedia has something about it and the idea is to exterminate an entire ethnicity leaving the rest safely alone. The civilian applications are there, especially with CRISPR.

So instead of killing people you could eradicate parasites, pests etc.

Well, the jet powered plane was pretty advanced by the end of world war two. And the cold war developed it rapidly. A lot of materials design, manufacturing and tooling, design optimizations.

But, yeah the SR is an amazing piece of engineering for the time.

Probably not anything incredibly advanced, realistically. Our knowledge of aerospace engineering was pretty simple at the time Kelly and his team were designing the SR. The Blackbird filled a unique role when it came out, and it did pretty well, but nowadays we can accomplish the same with the U-2S and satellites. The engineering the SR was excellent with regards to materials research, supersonic aerodynamics, and turbojet engine tech, but nowadays you gotta do more than go fast.

In the realm of aerospace technology, focus has been on advancement of composite materials, aerodynamic and propulsive efficiency, and electronic improvements. As far as military technology goes, the R&D has been primarily focused on electronic warfare, radar/radar countermeasures, weapon guidance, and integrated combat systems (data link between all available resources to maximize combat effectiveness and efficiency). So I highly doubt they are hiding some Blackbird-level shit in a shed somewhere in Area 51.

It's for use in the toilet?

In seriousness? Compact fusion. Lockmart's own website claims they'll have a working demonstration by 2018 which tells me that it is already being used in submarines.

lockheedmartin.com/us/products/compact-fusion.html

Also, there is Boeing's X-37 and X-47 programs which heavily indicate (a) the USAF has the ability to disrupt or tap satellites directly and (b) the USAF has some sort of supersonic stealth drone.

whats up word salad?

you are quite confused. technology drives scientific discovery, not the other way around. we were using steam engines long before we fleshed out the laws of thermodynamics. we were using electricity long before maxwell or gauss.

thats still how it works today. engineers in industry will happen upon a phenomenon through educated guesswork or grindy ass trial and error, then they send it (along with a fat wad of cash) over to some eggheads in academia to create a rigorous-ish explanation. funding and published work for the academics. patents and new products for industry. rinse/repeat.

you could try getting a job at a defense contractor and getting good

>but the Technology of 2016 is basically identical to that of 1916.

Radar and Sonar didn't exist a century ago, you're being fucking stupid.

Also worth mentioning is the amount of cash put into VTOLs since the 1980s. It took 30 years to figure out how to properly build the V-22, a lot of which has to do with cheaper computers to run it's (comparatively) complicated avionics. Same for the F-35, it's lift fan is a big deal even if it does take up a fuckload of space.

>...eradicate parasites, pests etc.
Easier to kill the hosts.

The first working prototypes that we know of were made in the late 19th century.

Have you considered that you're seriously un aware of all the advances of the last 100 years?

Yes.

mario kart?

damn how did you wind up on this Taiwanese quilting forum gramps?

>What is a cellphone

Culmination of multiple devices that existed back then into one.

Based on the Nazi Bell (Die Glocke), just like the B2 was based on Horton Ho-229

Just because both are a flying wing, doesn't mean the B2 had anything to do with the Ho-229.

Also, the US was testing flying wings far before the Nazi's even developed them, see pic related (Northrop N-1)

Also see the XB-35 and the YB-49.

I gave your mom 1 millinewton of thrust.

>During WWII Northrop had been commissioned to develop a large wing-only long-range bomber (XB/YB-35) based on photographs of the Horton's record-setting glider from the 1930's, but their initial designs suffered controllability issues that were not resolved until after the war.
rlly maeks u think

Never disputed America's technological might, just saying a lot of relatively modern military tech is based on Nazi concepts: the STG rifle was the first automatic weapon, the Silbervogel the first spaceplane (we still don't use them today), the V2 the first rocket etc.

War is a huge motivator for technological development, and with all those prisoners Von Braun used Germany came out on top. Their military strategy and finance was shit though, that's why they wasted all that might.

Ah. So it's not all progress then.

All of the secret government programs founded in WWII were populated by professional engineers and scientists. Now government programs are run and operated by professional government bureaucrats. Its all just as stagnant as NASA.

muh 50 year golden age

If it wasn't for gov. bureaucracy and people crying about sonic booms scaring their precious wittle puppers we'd have commercial supersonic air travel today.

He didn't fly so good!

>Also, there is Boeing's X-37 and X-47 programs which heavily indicate (a) the USAF has the ability to disrupt or tap satellites directly and (b) the USAF has some sort of supersonic stealth drone.
Orbital plane changes are expensive. How much delta v can that thing realistically have?

The alternative idea is that it launches stealth sub satellites that attach to foreign satellites

>Orbital plane changes are expensive.

Building your own miniature space shuttle just for yourself and nobody else is really really really expensive in the first place.

That's wrong. WW2 and postwar era programs were hugely controlled by bureaucrats but nobody remembers that because it's boring. Just like nobody ever remembers criticism of early NASA for being a fifth wheel to the newly formed USAF. At the end of it all government programs have lots of red tape and always have.

Things aren't stagnant either, especially when it comes to DoD projects as the DoD got MORE money through the 00s than NASA could ever hope for. This was true even through the recent budget showdowns.

Well its easy to get to the moon, but surviving a trillion particles per second that would murder all life on earth if the magnetic shield was broken isn't a stupid thought.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marauder
Welcome to the future.

Saw one of those over Neenah, Wisconsin in the summer of '95...scared the shit out of me. It was completely silent, though.

>b8
>goes for it anyways
they still had to build the rocket that looked like it could get to the moon, so it would have just been a better idea to go to the moon.

It's actually pretty interesting that the more I think about the tech that we have today, how much of it was being pioneered in the 40s and 50s, maybe earlier. Nuclear power, computers, cell phones, among other things probably. Not to say that we haven't made advancements but it's more improving on things from back then than too much being brand new.

I also would like to know what kinds of shit the government has classified now. Would be cool if the majority of UFO sightings and similar things could be explained by them. I was reading that a lot of stuff from Area 51 was only recently declassified and there were mentions of the people working there saying their tests might have caused a lot of sightings back then.

Pic related for instance would probably be mistaken for an alien craft in the 70s and 80s (or earlier in some instances). Hell, even today in certain contexts people may still just not be used to seeing certain types of aircraft and could mistake them for UFOs. Stealth aircraft especially, not even going into what might still be classified.

Things were very different in the days before affirmative action, diversity programs, HR departments, and the growing non-white population

Among the young, half the population are non-whites, and there is a huge quantity of foreign students/illegals

This has the effect of displacing the white population from schools, leading to a death of US science.

Does anyone here work as an aerospace engineer that might have some stories that, while probably not top secret, might be interesting and not likely to be well known of stuff they've worked on? I've recently gotten pretty interested in military and spacefairing aircraft.

Could also be an MHD. EM drives suck ass.

>inb4 pigeon toe

Here's from 1962.

youtu.be/psdtKHyefwA

I want to know what a normal person would have thought if they saw this in 1962.

even in its crude early state this thing is so sexy, it looks futuristic in 2016, must have looked fucking nuts back then

Just as soon as we find the magical exotic matter with negative mass that doesn't exist.

A working Alcubierre drive

A method of amassing exotic matter has been found

Have you heard of a horse-drawn cart? Yeah similar to that, except it is also capable of going into space.

The pilots were cool too.
>Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?

Part of the training included meeting the designer, Kelly Johnson.

Probably not a super secret plane. That's what conspiratard don't get. Why this plane was built ? Evading missile. But for what ? To gather intels by photography.

The crown jewels of the CIA and NSA are probably lines of code and brain power.

Not very exciting hue ?

>the stg was the first automatic weapon
Hmmmmmmm...

Well yeah, the stuff we have now probably isn't a simple jet, regardless of how sophisticated it is. It might be some aircraft but probably not anything similar to stuff traditionally used. Aircraft are still useful.

Though you're right that there could be something completely different. We're more talking about actual machines in here though rather than computer programs.

GENETICS???????
Fokin integration of man and machine?

Well, CRISPR will go a long way in major changes. After a few years of hand wringing improved germ lines will be all the rage, after all what parent will not want the best for their child?

Of course one thing is to get rid of diseases like diabetes, haemofilia and more (I think about 70 genetic diseases are understood). There will also be weapons potentials, genetic weapons keyed to ethnic profiles, killing silently and quickly entire groups. At least 5 countries are known to work on this.

>rocket propelled aircraft
>silent
u fukn w0t m8

It's like a vacuum cleaner but far away...

not that guy, but it was the first assault rifle

>There must also be a functioning AI
Not for a really fucking long time, user.