Bread thread

Bread thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6oAfl1u0fIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My very first loaf. Tossed in a bit of garlic powder and flax powder with the dough and topped it with salt, minced/powdered garlic, dried oregano, and basil.

It was alright but a bit dense and floury, the dough didn't rise very much in the hour I gave it (wanted it on the table by dinner) so I'd probably give both the yeast and the dough more time to grow next batch. Also less garlic, to better appreciate the plain bread taste. What recipe should I try next?

There is this really simple one I use all the time. 6 cups flour, 3 water, table spoon yeast, tablespoon salt then let rise two hours. After the two hours rip a piece off you want to use and store the rest. Preheat the oven to 450 after waiting for the dough to rise about half an hour again. Then place in the oven for half hour and spray with water every ten minutes or so with water to get a hard crust. You can spray it with water first to add garlic, rosemary, caraway seeds or whatever else you want for flavor on top

My sourdough I made last week

Accent on the O?

Noice. How long did it take to create your starter?

This is a simple loaf I make when I'm out of bread and don't have time to do a sourdough. You can see how crusty it comes out.

Is there any essential spices you guys would put in a sandwich? Mustard, paprika, pepper, etc?

I want to make a loaf for sandwiches. And I usually only use salt and maybe a sprinkle of black pepper to "season" the dough/loaf, but this time I was thinking of putting more in to make the bread more "complex" for a lack of a better word.

I was thinking: dijon mustard, smoked paprika, maybe a dice of garlic or garlic powder, black pepper, some kind of herb (which?), a little honey, and maybe a dash of worsh. sauce or a dash of vinager.

Too much, too little? Something different?

Thanks bakers.

Made some bread today
How do I make the cuts on the top of the loaf? I bought some razor blades, but they are too flexible and didn't work well

I'm and I use a small, very sharp knife. Pic is a sourdough I did doing 4 cuts around the loaf.

I tried once with a ceramic knife and didn't work.

Will try with a steel sharp knife next time and see if it works. Thanks

Rate my bread Veeky Forums.

serrated knife does the job well

How do I make a -crusty- loaf like that?

I just use a preheated pizza stone and boil a couple cups water and put it in just before I slide my loaf onto the stone. That's the way I did the loaf you're referencing at 425F.

I don't bake bread like this very often, but decided to make some fluffy soft white bread for a change of pace, took these loaves out of the oven about 90 minutes ago. Used the "water roux" method with plenty of milk in the dough and enough sugar to be mildly sweet, leavened with starter to give it some flavor. I wish large size pullman bread pans weren't so ridiculously expensive, I image this bread would be perfect baked in such a tin.

what's on the top of this loaf? onion? I slash my loaves with a small razor, a box cutter blade.

not him, but 14 days is the standard period it takes to develop a stable and predictable starter from scratch

Spices/flavorings in bread need to be tough to stand up to baking and still have noticeable flavor afterwards, seeds work best: fennel, carroway, cumin. For an interesting sandwich loaf, try whole wheat with fennel seeds and walnuts.

sexy crust, now lets see some crumb

A spray bottle with water has always helped me with making a crust. I will spray it about every 5-7 minutes at 450 for a half hour bake.

bought this in tesco

Share recipe

If I feed my starter with 1:1 flour water mix then is it the same as a poolish?

When having litlle time try making flatbread.

If it's going to be for sandwiches I suggest to keep it simple. Rosemary and olive oil is good

10/10 looks beautiful

No, but close. Poolish or biga is a mix of flour and water with starter added, generally done to increase the population of wild yeasts in the starter prior to actually making the dough. Typically, once you've made a poolish, you let it ferment for a bit, then add more flour and salt, turning it into a well-colonized dough ready for rising.
Can confirm. Make a quick flatbread every morning for lunch, almost always comes out tasty and filling.

in baker's percentages:
>85% bread flour
>10 flour (from very active starter fed at 100% hydration)
>5 bread flour (in water roux/"tangzhong")
>2 salt
>7 sugar
>20 whole milk
>20 water
>10 water (from starter at 100% hydration)
>15 water (to make water roux)
(Total hydration works out around 62% when you acct for solids in the milk and losses boiled off the water roux)

For the two loaves pictured I used 1500g of flour.

mix and knead, bulk ferment ~3.5 hours at room temp, punch down and shape loaves, proof ~1 hour, brush tops with milk, bake at 350 for 1 hour in buttered loaf pans, cover the tops of the loaves with foil for the last 30 minutes to minimize hard crust. Allow to cool 90+ minutes before slicing.

Please rate

Is it ok that i let the dough sit for 18 hours before i start folding it?

>Is it ok that i let the dough sit for 18 hours
depends on ambient temp/yeast colony size.

>ambient temp
About room temperature, so 68F here
>yeast colony size
Not sure what this means, I'm still pretty new to this

He probably means the amount of yeast from a mother jar you keep on the counter.
I don't know anyone who does this though.

Ah, I just use quick-action breadmachine yeast
1/4tsp for 3 cups of flour

Reminder that bread is fucking horrible for you as it's full of unnecessary carbs and has a ton of calories

Then probably not. You can tell with the poke test.
youtube.com/watch?v=6oAfl1u0fIw

Ok

Oh when i meant 'let the dough sit', i meant before putting it in the proofing basket

I proof it for about 90 minutes

There's nothing special about the proofing basket that stops fermentation. Once you add yeast your bread is "alive" and will continue to be until you bake it.