Professor assigns his/her own book as required/recommended reading

>professor assigns his/her own book as required/recommended reading

Obiquous in Italian university.
And people wonder why students leave.

As in their fiction?

Critical works

Do you mean "ubiquitous?"

Fine, Ibiquitous.

I don't think that's a bad think, as long as it is related.

Professors that have been in the faculty for a few years only teach the very specific topics on which they have worked on, at difference of the new guys or grad students that are asked to do multiple unrelated but basic work.

>professor uses his own lecture notes as the textbook
>only available straight from the university bookstore as a printout bound with together with a shitty plastic ring
>$50

>professor obviously knows nothing about literature
>assigns a comically bad short story
>extremely painful to read
>later recommends the author's novel
her friend, obviously

one of my teachers tried to get his entire class to buy his wife's extremely expensive, extremely small book about... japanese sculpture or something only tangentially related to the class. he only even assigned a small portion of the already small book. only one or two people bought it at most.

>>professor assigns his/her own book as required/recommended reading
>in community college

There's nothing wrong with this if it's relevant. I had one professor who wrote several introductory texts for his course and I even presented one of them as an assignment while he was present. It was a bit awkward to say "this is what the author is saying" and seeing him nod in approval, but it was useful for both sides since he uses these exchanges to understand where his texts become difficult. Besides, even with professors who recommended their speciality articles (non-introductory) for advanced students, it was still a very useful supplement to the course since a lot of stuff is being taken for granted during courses which might make understanding difficult.

literally every single STEM class

>I hate this thing but I'll keep doing it and posting passive aggressively on the Internet about it

Whiners.

Had a professor do this for an anthropological article he wrote. Began the class by shittalking it super hard and getting everyone to agree with him and then calling everyone out afterwards. It was great.

>professor makes the exact same joke several times a day and still expects people to laugh it it
>that ONE guy who bursts into raucous giggling and applause every time

Humanities professors are all cunts. They serve less purpose than agarbage man or plumber yet they live on a large salary and have spotty students sniff their farts for good grades. Let's burn the universities, lads

Grow up

>some student as unbound it, scanned it, and placed it as a google doc if you search for it

This is only a problem at second rate schools. At my university we are taught by the top scholars in the field, so when they assign their own book they're really only assigning the top scholarship in that field.

ebiquitious*

The creative writing professors at my university are all published authors (which makes sense, if you want to get published why learn to write better from people who haven't been published?) But I don't want to read any of their books. If I liked the book and wanted to compliment them or something, it would just be seen as brown-nosing, and if I didn't like the book it would be way too awkward to keep going to class with that professor.

I think it's interesting that DFW said none of his students knew he wrote Infinite Jest and that they just knew him as the "grammar nazi" guy.

Yes thank you

>t. Salty garbageman

Is this an american university thing? I study in the UK and have never had to buy a textbook, I just get them for free from the library.

You can do that here in America too. Only idiots buy the textbook.

He's talking about a separate bundle of notes the professor creates and makes you purchase from a third-party printshop.