Why is it that every math major I meet they tend to have the same quirky personality and get frustrated so easily when...

Why is it that every math major I meet they tend to have the same quirky personality and get frustrated so easily when we go off topic in a discussion? It almost like chill man I'm just exploring other stuff.

Nice thread retard

Physics requires a bit of noodling around. It just does not suit the temperament of mathematicians. Also physicists use a lot of rules of thumbs to arrive at the anser such as the lap post method which mathematicians find horrific.

t.Physicist

* "Lamp post method".

A bit late. I'll go to bed now.

Because the shit I was saying was building to a larger point and didn't fucking matter by itself. If you're not interested in the conclusion you should have told me before I spent the last five minutes building up to it. I also feel like if you were trying to understand what I was saying you should show a little bit of curiosity about where I was going.

I'm looking for a solution to the problem when conversing, not to indulge in wasting time with trivial nonsense.
I'm not saying that off topic things should be prohibited, but it's rather frustrating that when you're trying to solve a problem when someone else starts exploring needlessly that has no relevance to the topic at hand.

Solve the problem, then explain to me your exploratory ideas.

Why is it that nobody is normal in academia. Everyone has some fucked up character traits that you often see in nerds.

Why? Are there actual math / physics / econ majors with jock personnalities, funny all around, enjoying life and able to disconnect at least two fucks hours from their studies?

Because math/physics/med/engi requires a lot of studying alone which other majors can spend the time to just socialize and enjoy themselves and get the same grades in their field with half the effort.

why doesnt lamp post method come up on google?

I don't know but this has been so for years. The lamp post method is something we were told about at university. And there are a few other things we were lectured in that does not show up.

>and able to disconnect at least two fucks hours from their studies?
The kind of person who feels the need to disconnect from their studies is not the kind of person who gets a PhD

Why would you spend years of your life doing long-ass hours of research for an itty-bitty paycheck if you weren't obsessed

I'm just gonna take a guess and say you're in college and you started straight out of high school. Meaning you have never been *outside* of academia. So you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Could it be that *everyone* has quirks?

Is this game actually good? Won it from PS store but I'm really tired, not sure if its worth playing.

because math majors are egomaniacs.

also to get a doctorate you have to be pretty undersocialized. so combine bitterness, ego, and lack of social experience and you create a super-autist. their hobby is academia.

>are there stem jocks
yeah they are called engineers and they have bachelors degrees.
their major relates to their non-academic hobbies. (cars, boats, structures, planes, rockets, machines, computers, etc) rather than specifically the underlying science.

holy crap, you've got some serious emotional problems

It's true though.

Walking simulator, will help you fall asleep.

Because math majors and math people in general are autistic spergs

Thanks for the feedback, not playing it.

How is it that large swathes of the smartest people on the planet aren't even able to breed early in life, and then when they are finally reach an age when they're appreciated for their intelligence, they refuse to? Not me, I get laid all the time, but I'm also not that smart.

It's possible to have more than one hobby. I know plenty of PhD students and people who got their PhD while still having other hobbies and investing plenty of time in them.

I don't disagree that a lot of people studying maths are odd or socially awkward or just weird as fuck, but there are still a lot of people who are normal and have a life outside of maths.

>expecting people to maintain interest in your research for more than four minutes

We can dream, user.

Because math people are extremely insecure because they know a physicists knows a lot of higher-level math plus he knows phyisics. So they just say "lol he passes de dx".

>ask a person a question
>meme them with unrelated popsci shit
>tell them to chill when they get mad
10/10

Autism in mathematics and physics is not a meme

>I know plenty of PhD students and people who got their PhD while still having other hobbies and investing plenty of time in them.
PhD - in what?