So, my copy is coming in the mail tomorrow. I am a bit nervous, this is actually a readable book right...

So, my copy is coming in the mail tomorrow. I am a bit nervous, this is actually a readable book right? If I can read a book like moby dick at least a couple hundred pages, and gather the general idea, I should be able to read something like this no problem, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

catalog.lib.utexas.edu/search~S29?/xdavid foster wallace library/xdavid foster wallace library/1,1,323,B/frameset&FF=xdavid foster wallace library&80,,323/indexsort=-
catalog.lib.utexas.edu/search~S29?/xDavid Foster Wallace Library./xdavid foster wallace library/-3,1,323,B/frameset&FF=xdavid foster wallace library&118,,323
huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/facetime-facelift-plastic-surgery-for-iphone-users_n_1300496.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i wish posting IJ covers would mean autoban on this board.

It trash imho. When you start to notice the dust on the furniture and want to iron clothes rather than read it, says all you need to know.

its not really a challenging read. its just long and can be tedious with the longer footnotes. maybe keep something light/shorter on the side for when you feel like reading but not feeling like slugging through the slower parts.

its a pretty good book though.

*endnotes. not footnotes. sorry.

jinfenist es tby fdavid foster wallace is not a good book. it got a lot of praise when it was first released but that was all marketing bpaid for by the publishing company little, brown. anybodyt who missed the boat when it was first released didnt give a shit about it in the mid 2000s, until davie boy he took a swing. now its popular with the 4man crowd and i hate it cause its not that bad of a read, theres a lot of bullshit but certain sections really struck me. yes i only made it like 400 pages in, nobody ever makes it further

Never view my stream again!

shy pee syndrome?

It's completely readable but you might be confused on how the calendar works like I was. It makes sense as it goes along later.

definitely worth the read

keep a dictionary or computer nearby so you can look up words, as he has a very complex vocabulary

1- It's a meme. DFW is a meme. Probably the biggest Veeky Forums meme
2- It's a good book. Nothing that will blow you away for the rest of your life, but it's still pretty good
Two cents of truth

I love DFW But I can't make it through IJ

It's good from what I've read of it (~200 Pages) but I am much more a fan of his short fiction and Essays

I'm around three hundred or so pages and I feel like I've already been exposed to the best stuff, Gaitley's AA meetings are pretty funny and an interesting read but I'm wondering the same and whether it is worth continuing? I am enjoying it I just don't feel like he could surprise me anymore especially after the nuclear tennis game.

lol im 700 pages in and its just suddenly got very dark in terms of hals psyche. no spoilers but this change in tone seems very sudden ( this is just after when matty pemulis pops up)

600-900 are when it gets good

I'll give it more of a read then just to see where Hal and Pemulis's research on the tablet they found goes too since that seems like it could get pretty interesting.

Is it true there is a giant Kaiju in IJ?

yeah mate its really great desu. did you enjoy the bit when he goes on about the history of how advertising in tv got abolished and how the like direct telentertainment companies grew?

also i was extremely bored of the puppet show, idk if you're up to there and if that is the case did you like that.

im extremely starved of people to talk about the book with, ive suggested it to all my mates and they just scoff in my faces the cunts

Can I read it without the Footnotes? I have the Book on CD of this and it doesn't have the footnotes they are on another cd and I'm not going to switch the cd out and in for a footnote

desu not really. theres huge chunks where the footnotes are totally insignificant and then others where the footnotes are like a self contained mini-story that you really need to hear, and also the footnotes sometimes give very relevant insights as to the current passage that you're reading.

so basically yea, you need the footnote unfortunately in your particular like situation

After reading his stuff about McCain I wonder what DFW would think of our current shitty election.

He would probably hang himself anew.

The puppets bored me, but i read through it pretty quick. On page 600 now. The fucking eschaton game was hilarious and there have been lots of great passages. Its been a pleasure to see a coherent story appear out of the first 100 pages of chaos. Im curious for the rest of the book.
Loved all Orin-Hal phone conversations.

I wonder all the time about DFW alive today but I don't think he could be desu. He doesn't fit in with the times, the internet would freak him to shit

he died when he needed to die

No idea whether the puppet show or not was the stuff with Madam Psychosis but I remember being slightly bored there however I did enjoy the teleentertainment bits, especially interesting how he basically described what is happening now with people being self conscious about their looks and improve them with photoshop(telemasks) to make themselves look better.

HOLY SHIT

DFW CONFIRMED /POL/TARD

catalog.lib.utexas.edu/search~S29?/xdavid foster wallace library/xdavid foster wallace library/1,1,323,B/frameset&FF=xdavid foster wallace library&80,,323/indexsort=-

Eschaton is the best part of the whole book to be honest

you're worrying too much - it's more straightforward than Veeky Forums would have you think. just go with it until the main story arcs start to form and the rest is easy.

SNOW ON THE MAP

No he wasn't. That book's not the least bit anti-Semitic. It was published under the auspices of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America.

when people say that I should use a dictionary, do you mean that I should use a real, paper dictionary? Or should I just have my phone out while I read it?

Paper

Phone will just be a distraction

AA meeting are the best part though. Eschaton is hilarious thought. Worst part is that meeting of weird guys that Hal attends, it's not funny or shocking and it drags on and on.

which dictionary should I get?

Interesting theory, but what about this?

catalog.lib.utexas.edu/search~S29?/xDavid Foster Wallace Library./xdavid foster wallace library/-3,1,323,B/frameset&FF=xdavid foster wallace library&118,,323

(this is more /x/phile than /pol/tard, I'll admit)

It's an amazing book because DFW invented a completely original way to suck.

It was me who farted

I can just picture his internal shit eating grin

that was the only part of the book that made me legitimately uncomfortable.

I find it far easier to read than Joyce. IJ is just annoying, having to flip to the endnotes and what not.

>I'm around three hundred or so pages and I feel like I've already been exposed to the best stuff
It only gets better d e s u. Keep Coming.
Take special notice of everything that happens at ETA after it switches to first person. When you get to the last page, immediately go back and reread the first chapter.
huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/facetime-facelift-plastic-surgery-for-iphone-users_n_1300496.html
DFW was some kind of prophet
>Can I read it without the Footnotes?
"no"
Is there any other book where you would consider skipping 100 pages out of convenience?
>Loved all Orin-Hal phone conversations.
Great taste user. The chapter where Hal recalls his therapy sessions is maybe the best in the book.
I'm an OED man, myself.
>Worst part is that meeting of weird guys that Hal attends
It may not be especially funny, but this is one of the most thematically important chapters in the entire book. I won't spoil it for you, but that chapter has a lot to do with the true nature of the Entertainment.

>autobahn

You got memed. IJ and books like it are in a genre known as the memetome. These are books with massively inflated pagecounts that don't really justify how long they are which are mostly used to troll plebs.

IJ would be a good book if it were 350-400 pages. Editing things down is not a meme, the content should have been split into at least two separate books.

Don't do that.

Boring; didn't seem very inspired at all honestly.
I got 500 pages in until I felt I was thoroughly memed.