What does Veeky Forums think of this novel? How much of it do you think really happened?

What does Veeky Forums think of this novel? How much of it do you think really happened?

sloane?

Zanzibar?

Bump

Fuck you guys then

I don't really care how much of it really happened, that's part of the fun of it. I really enjoyed the novel though and I feel as though already having seen the movie made the book better.

I liked it. I thought it was fun. Maybe half of it is true. I think the hotel bills and destroyed cars were factual but how much of the drugs and insanity actually went down I'm not sure.

"I was just in the closet polishing my shoes"

>1971
>not pinning down a maid and suffocating her with ice while naked

>fiction/reality dichotomy

I liked it. I think some of it happened.
I do like the famous passage about how the hippie movement died out

>something that didn't happen is no different than something that did happen

Bamp

That's right OP keep bumping your shitty fucking thread so I can sage it

Boring novel. It's overhyped shit.

Bumpy

He traveled to Las Vegas to cover a motorcycle rally, Oscar Z. Acosta Dr. Gonzo in the book did exist and that's about it. 99% is made up.

he reaches transcendence with the bathtub scene and the check-in with the cops. I also liked Nixon on the telly

i love it. it's a breezy read and i'd say about 60% happened, but then again, this is gonzo shit, not to be taken literally. it's memoir territory, to be honest. fans of this should read The Great Shark Hunt collection, as it gives you a pretty good idea of how his style evolved. my favorite of his gonzo pieces is the one where he got drunk with Muhammed Ali in a Miami hotel, the Fontainebleau, i think. HST is a fun read between authors with more substance. a good palate cleanser, if you will, like Elmore Leonard.

Wasnt the movie basically just "lol wacky drugs and driving man xD"

How do you know?

I mean it had some social commentary to it

It was fun and inspired me to write (bad) short stories after going out with friends, much like Beat poets

gimmicky shlock
gonzo journalism and the beats were shit

*gonzo journalism and the beats were THE shit

ftfy

>not doing drugs and running out on home bills and kidnapping young girls
>1971

>tfw too weird to live. too rare to die.

>boring
you must have a strange and unique definition of this word

Not really.

If I met you I'd rape you

>look at me how interesting life i have
Garbage

Dropped this so hard, it's just a guy with his lawyer doing drugs on a road trip. DUDE READ LMAO