What are some great books on art and art history...

What are some great books on art and art history? I'd also take any recommendations regarding the philosophy and history of aesthetics.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0c63SOwFOwk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bumping for interest

Also feel free to post your favourite art.

painting is cool

'art since 1900' is what i was made to read in college, and it is excellent. two volumes, written by several of the most notable contemporary art historians.
not sure about anything earlier than that.

For a novel that's tangentially about art but also just extremely well-written, memorable, and emotional, I'd recommend Wittgenstein's Mistress.

Santayana's "Sense of Beauty"
Umberto Eco's "On Beauty" and my favorite "On Ugliness"

Bump for interest.

Anyone read Gardner's "art through the ages"?

As for aesthetics, check out some anthologies like "philosophies of art and beauty" or "aesthetics a comprehensive anthology." I took an aesthetics class in college and while I wouldn't say you need any specific background with philosophy, I would absolutely say that you need to be familiar with reading philosophy (of any kind). I personally wasn't prepared for the class, although I still enjoyed the hell out of it and retained a few snippets here and there. Some of the names which were new to me at the time and which I remember enjoying were Dewey (whose "art as experience" you may want to check out) and Bosanquet (just looking at his wiki page now, it looks like he wrote "a history of aesthetic" which might be up your alley).

ways of seeing

Check out Erwin Panofsky's books and essays. He was one of the most influential and most widely specialized art historians.

>'art since 1900
but that's where everything went to shit

Even if you're short enough in the brain to have this opinion you cannot deny the cultural relevance of Modern Art.

Pic related.

Scruton is in his element when it comes to art and music. Philosophy too, although much more divisive in that regard.

Why would you read books about art?

For the same reason we read books about books.

Why not? How else are you supposed to expand your understanding of a particular piece or movement? There's only so much you can gather from looking.

For beginners I always recommend Andrew Grahm-Dixons book "Art".

I just read monographies about various artists.

100% ignore this, Scruton is in his "element" when it comes to art as much as a evangelical preacher is in his element when it comes to theology: they both know art and theology are things that exist.

I recommend you Gombrich's History of Art (has it's problems, but it's good for a starter), Arthur Danto's Death of Art, Hans Belting's Likeness and Presence and The End of Art History, Heinrich Wolfflin's Principles on Art History (bit dry, but worth it) and Eco's Stories of Beauty and Uglyness.

As for aesthetics, it's a little trickier, since I know how awful it is to give you a list from Baumgarten to Bourriaud, so, just get yourself a introductory book with the essential classical aesthetics and by the time you're done with it and have read stuff like Danto, Belting and Eco (his The Open Work is great for modern aesthetics) you'll be grounded enough to pursue your own path on contemporary aesthetics (I'm not entirely sure why, but relational shit is the new trend)

Didi-Huberman's book on Aby Warburg (forgot the english name, sorry mate) is also great for a different understanding of art history and art itself.

This is good as well, but without knowing some of the terminology, it might get confusing.

Dude, is this a Asger Jorn sculpture? Nothing like I'd expect from him.

No afaik he made a fotocollection of nordic art together with some photographer.

He also has abysmal arguments in his idiotic attempts to ban modern art as degeneracy and communism or multiculturalism, when as a matter of fact I think he simply thinks problems of contemporary Europe (according to him) were the same as 1900s Europe, while also completely ignoring shit like the US 50s modernism propaganda, has absolutely no idea of anything that happened beyond the 60s (while also trying to pass judgement on it) and is EXTREMELY picky when he wans to portray art's "fall" or whatever shit, (poorly informed) reactionary terminology he uses.

If he is what the right has to offer to aesthetic studies, the right has already lost this battle.

I would love to sit here and keep on shitting on him (one of my favourite pastimes), but gotta go to my contemporary art topics class so I don't end up like him.

>100% ignore this, Scruton is in his "element" when it comes to art as much as a evangelical preacher is in his element when it comes to theology: they both know art and theology are things that exist.

Modern art (history) student confirmed. Don't get buttmad that Scruton blasts your "anything can be art" bullshit.

100% ignore this faggot, OP. Scruton is seriously worthwhile when it comes to art and music.

I'm not a modern art student, I'm a art student and had to actually engage with modern art instead of just sitting on my posh british home and complaining.

Scruton is the ultimate "You must listen to me because I'm british" hack.

Calm down, that guy was replying to my Asger Jorn question

But yeah, this

>gotta go to my contemporary art topics class

Thanks for confirming

Definitely this. Video related:

youtube.com/watch?v=0c63SOwFOwk

Im pretty much a /pol/tard but i found his documentary rather dissapointing and weak.Is the book any better?

Yes. I have it on PDF if you know a file dump site.

how big is the pdf?
If its less thsn 10mb you can post it as a zip on krautchan.net/int

+1
AGD is the fucking boss of art critics. his tv series are always outstanding. i nearly cried at the end of his show about vermeer

also kenneth clarke's books