This is a 99 million year old bird. Why do they still use the term dinosaur when they were just birds, reptiles...

This is a 99 million year old bird. Why do they still use the term dinosaur when they were just birds, reptiles, mammals, fish and such?

Other urls found in this thread:

news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/12/feathered-dinosaur-tail-amber-theropod-myanmar-burma-cretaceous/
cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(16)31193-9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/12/feathered-dinosaur-tail-amber-theropod-myanmar-burma-cretaceous/

>he doesn't know that all birds are now classified as dinosaurs

Because dinosaur sounds fucking awesome.

Chickens are the closest living relatives (hence I guess that's why they are flightless???)

I think 'chicken' sounds much more awesome. They were big chickens. Tyrannosaurus Chicken sounds really scary

The amber contains a tail feather including the tail vertabre. AFAIK birds don't have bones in their tails.

Could they go full Jurassic park and use the DNA in bone fragments to make a dino?

>Tyrannosaurus Chicken
SHEEEEEEEEEEEIT

Dinosaurs weren't actually that big. It's because the universe is actually shrinking (don't believe the inflation meme) so all fossils of animals and fauna that existed back then appear larger to us today.

>They were big chickens.
More like a six-foot turkey.

here's a drawing of what they believe the tail to be from.

D'aww. How could we eat this for thanksgiving?

That's a common and enduring myth.

They're still related though, aren't they? I mean, they are birds.

>this tail looks pretty much the same as it did 100 million years ago
>you're looking at the skin of a dinosaur as it appeared 100 million years ago
blows my fucking mind lads

Question

If reptiles are cold blooded, then why do they need feathers? Those feathers look like they're to retain body heat, but cold blooded animals produce no body heat. What am I missing?

>to retain body heat
other way around.

Birds are now officially called "dwarf dinosaurs".

>If reptiles are cold blooded, then why do they need feathers?

Because dinosaurs weren't cold blooded.

>dinosaurs
>reptiles
the whole thread is about how they're birds
where did we lose you?

DNA has too short of a half life. You can pull wooly mammoth DNA, but Dino DNA is too old to get full strands.

Damn nature

>too old to get full strands

What about getting a bunch of partial strands and using CRISPR to sew all the pieces together?

If we cloned dinos and farmed on them on farms like we do with cows, do you think we could give them chicken feed and basically get a greater ratio on meat production to feed input? Also would the dinosaurs taste like chicken?

Farming cloned dinos could be pretty lucrative for both the consumer and producer if they grow to be at least the size of cows.

That sounds like an even worse idea

cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(16)31193-9

Better article

In the Paleontology course I took the professor went over this. The accepted classification of "Birds" in the modern sense falls under the term "Non-avian dinosaurs," as in the only survivvors of the mass extinction in that general cladistic group were the Avian Dinosaurs (what we call birds). At a certain point, modern paleontologists don't even bother classifying them differently.

Really though this is fucking incredible. My question is how did the tail get trapped in the amber in the first place?

Dinos must have pretty fuckin smart. Do you think they used tools and talked to each other? There are some parrots that apparently understand the meanings behind some of the words they are saying. Basically just like dogs, but they can also say the words. And of course there is the new caledonia crow that uses tools to get food tight spaces. If dinos did any of these things, we would probably have no way of knowing.

>My question is how did the tail get trapped in the amber in the first place?

Probably its corpse was lying around and scattered by scavengers, some of it ended up next to a tree, and some sap pooled over it.