Recent purchases

Which books are you anxiously waiting to arrive/just got of the mail?

These just got here
>state of siege & the stranger
>the sun also rises
>lolita
>ulysses

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_press
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I got all these yesterday (top three as gifts, everything below from half price books).

and then I got these today.

Nothing really just Polybius The Rise and Fall of Rome along with Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island. You got some awesome choices though OP.

These I got half priced, pic related I got in a trade, gave 10 shitty books I had for it

>Labyrinths

Myyyy nigga. I love that edition desu

Are those from some Spanish fine press?

dont know what you mean by "fine press" but they are all portuguese (brazil) except for Dubliners, crime and punishment (both penguin classics) and notes from the underground that are from the US

>reading translations when you can read the original in english

why do people do this?

>tfw books have not arrived yet
Why must I suffer?

I think I read Unica Zürn's name on some osbcure blog about obscure books (along with Mary Caponegro) before. Any good?

because english versions are not always available in my country, not for $2,00 a piece atleast

I read it a few years back, I remember I loved it then, but not much specific (why I bought it, to read again). I've read The Trumpets of Jericho more recently and it's a lot more convoluted and plotless, but if you enjoy sometimes pretty and mostly grotesque images that aren't terribly connected, I would recommend it. Things like:

>The cows could make themselves small like a fist in order to creep back into the cheese made from their milk. It was a complicated process and they could do nothing about it.
>For the whole land is flooded with a large and powerful wave of the deepest melancholy, and wherever anyone goes or stands, they think here of violent death.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_press

I was asking who published the leatherbounds. Not the English ones.

Waiting for these to arrive.

>Marxist pop-history

Disgusting

Oh, ok. But yes, these 3 are very old and from the same publisher, I dont know if they still so these leatherbounds, but they are nice

Then wait until you can buy a copy from book depository. Reading Ulysses in a language other than English is just retarded. Can't you see that? Don't you understand it's truly untranslatable to a degree few works are?

Already started the Prose Edda?

Yeah, I just finished the Gylfaginning.

A Brief History of Ancient Greece is a good introduction to the subject. Used it at BA level.

Based brazillian?

Sim

aesop...nice

>painting as model

Very diverse selection, I like. All good stuff too.
Boas compras, OP. Não sei se foi uma decisão sábia da tua parte comprar Ulisses traduzido, mas de qualquer forma nós dois temos leituras densas pela frente.

That's my third version of it so far. I've also got one from Penguin Classics and another children's one, illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger.

Pois é...mas fazer o que... pelo menos Ulysses é um livro que tu pode ler várias vezes, e cada vez assimila mais o conteúdo, percebe as referências e tal, então talvez, no futuro, eu leia a versão original.
GODSPEED brfags

too lazy to take a picture

Nice. Just finished The Iliad 5min ago, now gonna read Walden and Civil Disobedience, to take a brake fro greeks

And I'd like to recommend: If you want to go a little deeper in Walden, read Emerson's 'Nature', it was Thoreau's friend and the text had huge influence on him. It can easily be found online (about 30 pages long I believe).

Você já chegou a ler a obra do Valter Hugo Mãe? É um escritor português, me pareceu bem interessante

Bought these this past Sunday.

Have you already read Hegel, Marx/Engels, and Simmel?

Received these two in the mail this week.

Very excited to start Ulysses but unfortunately that'll have to wait since I'm currently reading 7 books and I want to finish them and stop with that stupid behaviour

Is Death of a Salesman good? Worth buying?

The books in the background are on my to-read list as well so I really can't tell you yet.

It's only a hundred pages long so I could read it in a couple hours and come back to you I guess but I gotta finish everything I've already started first otherwise I'm never gonna be able to build some sort of self-discipline

>reading a translation of Ulysses

Fucking spics man

You don't have to do that, mate. Thanks anyway.

I've got the 50th anniversary edition of LotR and the first Dirk Gently book on order.

>Hegel
No.

>Marx/Engels
Yes.

>Simmel
No.

I honestly hope that Ulysses is the Houaiss translation, fampai

>implying I don't have both translated and portuguese
>Implying I'm not buying pic related soon

It's bilingual and commented though

Those are not leatherbounds, they just have a nice finishing, but are still sorta cheap. They were organized by Antonio Houaiss and published as a collection that could be bought at relatively low prices by subscribers of some newspaper, so a lot of houses have them but most people haven't read them.

You can also find them for cheap very easily, and most translations (save the Russian ones, which are mostly retranslations and always end up bad) are good and done by famous academics who felt that putting these books out for cheap would broaden the brazilian's horizons (protip: it didn't).

There's loads of these collections in Brazil, and if some BRHUE is wondering wich ones are best, I strongly recommend the one the Ulysses in OP is from and pic related (which is just the older collection reprinted, expanded and sort of corrected).

There are also the brown / red variants for brazilian classics which should honestly be the basis for brazilian essentials, that collection is dope.

disgusting fetishists

It seems like a pretty innocent fetish, as far as fetishes go. Causes no harm to anyone.

I have that same copy of Argonautica, its really good.

Joseph and his brothers by Thomas Mann
The novel of the coming century by Mór Jókai
Prosaic works of Seneca

All this for 9 bucks.
Did I do good?

>Laurus
How is it so far? I'm really really interested in getting it, but I would need to order it from bookdepository so I'd appreciate your thoughs on it

you should not be reading ulysses of all works in translation. holy fuck. spend $2 on anything else and wait to read it in english.

Just started on Joseph and his Brothers myself, planning to continue with the whole tetralogy
I'm not well versed in the bible myself, so the first few chapters were a bit tough because of all the namedropping and allusions, but once you get into the groove you realise Mann definitely had a way with words and a keen grasp of the Geistesmensch, like when, at the very beginning of the first book, he writes that man is a 'natürlich-lusthaftes und übernatürlich leidendes Dasein'.
Definitely a solid pick.

I picked it up,because it was mentioned to me multiple time the past few weeks.
I took it as a sign.

bump

Não li não, mas irei pesquisar.

Recently purchased a kindle

and I actually got it for my birthday

>buying books

>using meme arrows

Fresh outta the amazon box

ugh

Only 15 pages in but very interesting so far, so far it seems like it jumps around quite abit.
Pic related is an excerpt of a section I really liked.

>people read this shit

Special thanks to the Elfride Jelinek and anthropology user

Shit, forgot the pic

Some useful things in these books

The only use they have is extracting money from the gullible.

>knows how to read and write in english at a level that allows him to browse /li/
>reads translations of english original classics except of course for Camooo

Foda-se amigo, parece que não te estas a levar muito a serio ***cara**** heuheueheu