Can you train your brain like you'd train your body...

Can you train your brain like you'd train your body? Does systematically exposing yourself to harder and harder mental tasks condition your mind to become sharper, just like systematically exposing yourself to harder and harder physical challenges gets your body into shape?

I know this is an old idea but I'd like to know where the current science is with this.

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2011/12/london-taxi-driver-memory
brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes

>Does systematically exposing yourself to harder and harder mental tasks condition your mind to become sharper, just like systematically exposing yourself to harder and harder physical challenges gets your body into shape?

Only if the material is within your natural capacity and you've "become dumb" by not using what you've learned or thinking for a long time.

Everybody has a ceiling where at some point, they are just too dumb for certain material. For some people, this is precal and high school chemistry. For some people, it's Abstract Algebra or Analysis. For some people, it's IUTeich.

Basically, no, you can only maintain how smart you are and only become smarter if you've allowed yourself to regress below that.

Yes, practically

The more you stay on the computer (like shitposting or masturbating all day) instead of reading good info on both the internet and books, the more you will get dumber and dumber

Math is practically the bodybuilding of everything, Physics is Olympic weightlifting and Chemistry is just getting into Ottermode for them girls
Philosophy is just the curlbro that wants girls but won't get them once he does something that isn't curls
Engineers are just that guy that wants to get fit for his girlfriend but won't devote himself like the Mathematician or physicist

And finally the social sciences are the cardiobunny and the Art is that retard that will tell you protein shakes are bad for your liver
>T-Thanks for the advice

/Thread

So is the constant improvement of techniques that make our "mental work" easier the equivalent of the techniques that made our physical work mostly unnecessary?

I mean, using calculators, apps, programs and other tools to assist you on everything might make you the mental equivalent of a fat slob.

i heard learning languages can improve something in your brain. i have nothing to support this.

Yes they do but you must learn the vocabulary well so you don't use a mix of them like a fucking Chicano though

wired.com/2011/12/london-taxi-driver-memory

dont listen to these below

research says you can but it works most for people with bad ability to begin with and only if you keep it difficult and increase the difficulty as you go along so it dont get easy.

best ones are martial arts, aerobic exercise, team sports, meditation, playing a musical instrument, learning a foreign language on a regular basis, keeping a stricter schedule

n-back training is good too. this is a website you can download software to train keep getting better for working memory but the ones with wider transfer ive mentioned above for cognition. also if u are busy; relaxation. good diet too i guess.

a good rigorous structure to life also helps but only if u can keep it. maybe get into it gradually.

brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/ download this. work it out 10 - 20 minutes a day or maybe 20 minutes few times a week.

learning a new challenging topic specifically something like math which involves problem solving will obviously help.

I remember reading Anders Ericsson's "Peak" book where also mentioned that study, but he also went into detail about how they didn't become any smarter than regular people at non-cab driving related activities (in fact, if I remember correctly their performance was even subpar in other areas).

Nevermind, I was thinking of something else. I just checked the book and says nothing of the sort.

Correct
Indubitably

Nice

CS major here, just got done fucking your mom.

dunno why that study was even put on this thread. nothing to do. cabs, hippocampus. no nothing. sorry. lets keep it to mindfulness, running, martial arts, musical instruments, foreign languages, n-back training.

no that study boy.

>Everybody has a ceiling

This.

Do we have tripfags here now? Fuck off

>Do we have tripfags here now? Fuck off

Do I have my own dedicated shills now?

how quaint.