How do you feel about him being in Blooms canon of western literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5Th7MV6Odg8?t=34m15s
nytimes.com/1986/03/23/books/freud-the-greatest-modern-writer.html?pagewanted=all
wsj.com/articles/SB114679816691644646
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

proper recognition of the only thing it's ever been any good for. fine with it

If being wrong was an exclusion criterion for not being in the canon, as opposed to being not influencial, there wouldn't be much of a canon.

itt: uneducated plebs that think freud did anything wrong and psychoanalysis is not the best model for understanding the human mind aswell as treating mental illness

I feel like I want to kill my father and fuck my mother. By which I mean wasn't Back to the Future fucked up.

Bloom's canon as in, I suppose, a list entirely comprised of fiction? Where it belongs? How do YOU feel about it then

Right? Is everyone on lit actually 15???? I sometimes get the feeling that no one here actually read the books they talk about. I don't think he was one hundred correct about everything, but damn, son! The man revolutionized the way we consider psychological development and came up with some pretty good leads on subconscious behavior and dreams.

(((Simon Freud)))

This is true.

(((Harold Bloom)))

@8529659
soon itt: overgenerous summer gives You to the easybait® double-team

>summer
IT'S SEPTEMBER THE 20TH 2016

Sigh.

ITT:
1. Plebs who think that Freud was coked up hack who was wrong about everything.
2. Plebs who think that Freud is only useful for his contribution to psychology

Freud's influence on literary theory and modernist literature is nearly unparalleled, hence why he is in Bloom's LITERARY canon. You can't even read Kafka or Woolf without getting slapped in the face with Freud. Furthermore, the field of literary theory is STILL rampant with Freudians who shell out psychoanalytic papers. Adorno, Brecht, and Barthes were all riddled with Freud's influence.

but those people are all hacks.

Why do you want to be a hack-connoisseur user? Don't you have better things to do with your life?

m8, if you think Kafka and Woolf are hacks you might be better off somewhere else. I don't think discussions about Bloom's canon are in your wheelhouse.

Secondly, even if you don't like Brecht or Adorno (although I don't know why you think they're hacks, they're brilliant writers/theorists), their contributions to theory are essential.

you're replying to a troll, this board is almost only that now

>Plebs who think that Freud was coked up hack who was wrong about everything.

Fun fact: When on coke your own opinion is automatically fact

For those of you actually interested in this question rather than shitposting.

Interview where he tells a funny story (at the moment I selected) about it:

youtu.be/5Th7MV6Odg8?t=34m15s

Also, from another interview:
> In some sense, Freud has to be seen as a prose version of Shakespeare, the Freudian map of the mind being in fact Shakespearean. There's a lot of resentment about this on Freud's part because I think he recognizes it. What we think of as Freudian psychology is really a Shakespearean invention, and, for the most part, Freud is merely codifying it. This shouldn't be too surprising. Freud himself says, "The poets were here before me," and the poet in particular is necessarily Shakespeare.

tl;dr of both: Harold Bloom is very critical of psychoanalysis, but nonetheless he considers Freud one of the greatest essayists of the 20th century.

Further reading from Google, Bloom's articles on the matter:

nytimes.com/1986/03/23/books/freud-the-greatest-modern-writer.html?pagewanted=all

wsj.com/articles/SB114679816691644646

Didn't Brecht write some gay poem about an angel getting raped? I read it, pure trash.

What kind of pleb puts the month first