Why did we devolve in every way except intelligence compared to monkeys?

why did we devolve in every way except intelligence compared to monkeys?
>less durable
>less strength
>less agile
>shit feet

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/news/2004/040322/full/news040322-9.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gombe_Chimpanzee_War
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>devolve
please dont perpetuate this meme. evolution is only change to fit a niche.
biologically speaking, millions of years of genetic drift produced incrementally smarter hominids, who were able to survive and reproduce more than those who were merely robust.

Because evolution is random.

To create balance in the universe. Evolution is there to create balance. If we had all the strength, durability, intelligence, etc then we would destroy everything and we would be the only ones on Earth. If we were the only ones on Earth then Earth will start dying then we would die and there would be nothing left on Earth.

We at least have better distance running, so there's that.

Because strength, agility, and so on all require energy to sustain. When we became smarter, we were able to survive without those things. Natural selection favours efficiency because if you don't need something, then the effort expended to maintain it is effectively wasted and you would be outpaced by more efficient competitors who need fewer resources.

Evolution isn't "random".
"Evolution" is merely adaptation.

Random adaptions

Not random.

>mutations aren't random
Sure thing buddy

tfw born too early for genetics to evolve where we get powers. tfw I'll never become The Flash.

doesnt explain why we got rid of useful things like fur, strong jaws, great sense of smell/hearing

energy demands of the brain

Evolution is not "evolution"
But yes not random

Wrong.
Evolution is not just adaptation. Natural selection is adaptation. Evolution encompasses natural selection as well as several random elements.

>fur
With the advent of clothing humans no longer strictly needed this and sexual selection was allowed to take its course since obviously the less hair someone has the nicer they are to have sex with

>strong jaws
Strong jaw muscles pull on the skull in such a way that it shrinks the total volume over time.
nature.com/news/2004/040322/full/news040322-9.html
Some people think a mutation causing humans to have less powerful jaw muscles (via the switching of only two base pairs if I recall correctly) was one of the key mutations that allowed us to develop even larger brains.

>great sense of smell/hearing
Who told you other great apes had these in greater quantities than humans?

Fur is a waste of energy as soon as your species figures clothes out. The jaws are a waste as soon as your species figures weapons out. Smell goes to shit when you're permanently bipedal, becomes a waste. Got nothing on hearing though, dunno what's up with that.

Genetic mutations are random, natural selection is not.
Evolution is not random, although it comes from a random process.

Natural selection is only one part off evolution. All genetic changes are inherently random even if they are distributed non-randomly.

>Less durable
We're more durable than most species on earth, we can take abuse that would kill almost anything. Plus with our technology, we can then repair that abuse and negate it.
>Less strength
True
>Less agile
In their specific environment then yeah. We're way more flexible when it comes to living everywhere, we're generalists. I'd like to see a gorilla living in a tundra. His agility won't mean shit.
>Shit feet
For climbing yeah, for running and staying upward, no.

It's not that we're inferior to other apes, it's that we evolved to have different traits. Some worse, some better and two specific traits that are much, much better : Intelligence and complex vocal cords. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure humans have better eyes than most apes.

Yeah, that's what I said. Genetic mutations and natural selection are both parts of evolution. One is random, the other isn't. There are other mechanisms to evolution, and some are random, some aren't.

>who were able to survive and reproduce more than those who were merely robust

so how many branches of humanoids coexisted together 20, 50 or maybe 1000? and at what point they decided to kill each other?

where was the first ape war? did they use mustard gas?

Saying natural selection is not random is implying we live on a deterministic world, therfor you are wrong.

>where was the first ape war
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gombe_Chimpanzee_War

That's not what he said. He said evolution has random elements. Evolution =/= natural selection.

Because of slavery called money, you don't have to do shit different than think.

>>shit feet
Fight me bitch

This here.

What OP fails to understand is that evolution doesn't always select the strongest and fastest. It's whatever just works and helps creatures survive. Our ability to run long distances and use tools combined to make a great survival game. We communicate well and use teamwork to accomplish tasks. Our ability to plan and think towards the long term developed eventually to us being able to think complex thoughts whereas most creatures never have to think too long on anything.

For instance, turtles aren't too smart. It makes sense though. They don't have to be. They can be as sluggish and slow as they want. They never have to develop much more thought than GOINSHELL

> Less durable?
Nah. We outlive them.
Less strength?
> Less caloric intake. We have to gather less food to survive. We win this one.
> Less agile?
Might give you this one. But what about manual dexterity? That's our real superpower. It's why we have technology and dolphins don't. And we arguably have better hand-eye-coordination than apes as well.
>Shit feet?
Absolutely. How does that make us devolved?

It's random, what occurs as the result of the randomness is kept if it proves useful or at least not-problematic.

Holy shit

If Evolution was balanced then all species would've had the exact same characteristics.Also, how can evolution be aware of what balance truly is? For evolution it might mean something else than what you described.

Because energy. It takes a lot of energy to maintain large muscles, bones, size, etc. We use that energy for our brains instead. And it worked a hell of a lot better.

This. Evolution =/= adaptation.
Natural selection isn't random, but evolution also has quite a bit of randomness in it.

The changes that occur are random. What changes stick is determined by which organisms survive and get to pass them on.

Our intelligence essentially allowed us to "domesticate" ourselves. With far fewer natural pressures on our evolution, maladaptations start to creep in, that would be instantly weeded out if we weren't intelligent.

it's dem alien genes
>inb4 hurrdurrdurr nuh uh natural selection my science textbook says so
Yeah, those textbooks were designed by puppets of the ayys so gg lol

I think I read somewhere that our feet are better for persistence hunting
still think climbing trees is cooler tho

persistence hunting is a meme with little evidence for it
but so was trump winning but meh

Because humans evolved for endurance and intelligence, both of which we are vastly superior to the other apes in

Evolution molds organisms to fit a niche, and the niche occupied by humans is different to that occupied by chimps gorillas or orangs

>devolve
No

Blame intelligence for being able to work around problems strength solved in the past. Humans have improved in plenty of areas anyway.

Also we didn't evolve from gorillas, terrible example desu

This is why bonobos are superior. When do we exterminate chimpanzees?

>intelligence
>sci
>same pics today as yesterday
>randomly generated threads; still deja vu
>janitor a cuck
>only good threads from aether 'sci's worst troll'
>

It's likely that the architecture needed for big brains simultaneously decreases muscle size.

I've never had a problem climbing trees, I have been raised in the woods all my life however

>what are elephants
>what are whales

We traded arm strength for precision.

Have you ever seen a chimp or nonhuman ape try to throw something? They throw worse than girls.

Masterful Spear/Javelin use is objectively better chimping out.
A bunch of guys with long pointy sticks can beat chimps or lions at twice the range with half the strength.

we didn't get rid of them retard, we never got them. Your one of those people who take pic related seriously, dont you?

this guy knows whats going on, whatever works, works. When the pseudo-ape had kids along time ago, the ones that were smart became our ancestors and the strong ones became the gorillas.

We sacrificed pure strength for fine motor skills. A chimpanzee is fucking ripped and will rip your limbs off when he's attacking you, and all without spending significant amounts of time working out. But he's unable to use a pen to write or chisel off a flint to create a spear head, even if he had the brains to do so.

Yo, where did you get a photo of my nigga Tyrone?

Because we dont need big muscles and pure strength to live our daily lives. We have weapons and society to protect us from creatures. Thus it is an,inherent disadvantage to have large amounts of muscle, as it requires more energy to maintain than our current bodies

Humans have incredible stamina and are able to run and swim, and endure intense heat far beyond what any other ape can.

Environment

It's called minmaxing, bruh. INT builds are imba as fuck.

>why did we devolve in every way except intelligence compared to monkeys?

Because intelligence is the ultimate force multiplyer.

To defeat an opponent, you pretty much have to be SMARTER than your opponent. (warfare, tactics, traps, ambushes, weapons, etc)

So, destroying your opponents intelligence is a key to victory between intelligent species.

>less durable
Inaccurate, but literally doesn't matter since we have technology
>less strength
Literally doesn't matter since we have technology
>less agile
>shit feet

Oh yes, our evolutionary path certainly made us let fit to survive versus our other simian and ape counterparts, who we are slowly but surely driving to extinction while our population continues to explode despite ourselves.