Are plays worth reading or are they memes? For example Death of a Salesman, A Streetcar Named Desire etc

are plays worth reading or are they memes? For example Death of a Salesman, A Streetcar Named Desire etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

bmds.bm/files/14/files/productions/arcadia/arcadia-by-tom-stoppard.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=Wifcyo64n-w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

read a play you've never heard of

Shakespeare, Wilde...

bmds.bm/files/14/files/productions/arcadia/arcadia-by-tom-stoppard.pdf

Of course they are. Especially the old greek ones, it's not like you could see them in a theatre the way they were meant to bee seen anyway.

You WATCH plays, not read them, dongus.

Only read a script if you're in the production.

Of course they are. You should read the play and watch it. They are two different but complementary text in drama studies. Idiots like are just spouting memes.

I've been reading a lot of scripts lately. It's a lot cheaper than actually going to the movies.

Sometimes. Shakespeare being the most notorious example.
We have piracy now. Get with the times Troy.

2nd for read the play then watch it. Especially Shakespeare.

This really got me thinking. What are some recorded plays that can be found on the Internet (Youtube recommended, but not required) that are worth watching? I have never seen watched a proper play, closest I got to it was probably puppet shows when I was a kid or whatever.

Shakespeare, Beckett, Ionesco, Pinter, (Tennessee) Williams, O'neil.

All worth reading. There are shitloads of others. Those are my favorites.

A lot of Beckett's plays have been filmed. I think they're under "Beckett by Beckett" or something. Some are great.

You can find some decent Shakespeare plays on YouTube

Do you know any """plays""" that are only meant to be read, like that chapter in Ulysses?

Faust by Goethe, Manfred by Byron, Prometheus Unbound by Keats, Exiles by Joyce.

Though I'm sure all of them had in mind a possible performance. I don't think there is such thing as a dramatic text with no possibility of performance. Sure, some might be more difficult than others, but if it's a play then it can be performed.

>Keats

I meant Shelley, my bad. For some reason was thinking of Hyperion.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wifcyo64n-w

No Exit is literally the only thing you need to read by Sartre.

The plays that are meant to be read and not acted are called "closet drama" so just look up that term and you'll find a lot of examples.

since KATs down does anyone know where to get audiobooks now?
>inb4 audible . com

plays are fucking great. better to see them performed competently than to read them, but
>A Streetcar Named Desire
is hot garbage. don't bother with it.