Listening to Music while doing mathematics or reading mathematics text

What's the verdict on this one? I like listening to some techno and vaporwave(instrumental) when I study, it seems to allow my brain to "chew" on something which some how allows me to concentrate better.

"At Princeton he received complaints for regularly playing extremely loud German march music on his gramophone, which distracted those in neighbouring offices, including Albert Einstein, from their work.[53] Von Neumann did some of his best work in noisy, chaotic environments, and once admonished his wife for preparing a quiet study for him to work in. He never used it, preferring the couple's living room with its television playing loudly."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_von_Neumann

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iXAbte4QXKs
youtube.com/watch?v=BJ0xBCwkg3E&list=PLaPqBr-6ZyH-JoiP4fcLc2sEPNFuTfnFj
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I hate noise, even if I'm not studying. I just hate basically all sounds that aren't either classical music or anime girls. But I hate any noise at all if I'm studying.

What about ambient noises?

You forgot
>Pic related it's me

I think it's mostly a placebo.

Maybe it helps you not get bored the fuck out of your mind though and indirectly helps you focus for that reason... that's probably it...

What about the case of von neuman?

I wasn't being ironic, quit bullying me.

Pic related, it's me.

You need more sleep lad you're getting bags under your eyes

m'apologies

I used to listen to metal or hardcore during math homework like August Burns Red. Now I like to wear earplugs but I don't do as much math now. I'm a CSE grad student.

I listen to classical or pop.

so much reddit in one picture

>reading/learning/writing reports
Silence
>past papers
>Nujabes, Fat Jon, generic classical music

listening to anime music improves ur iq

I listen exclusively to vocaloid music while doing math.

Listening to black metal right now while doing homework.

Listen to exclusively deep house or Trance with no lyrics.
Not my everyday choice of music (desu I listen to a LOT of different types of music) but progressive electronic no vocals literally gives me adderall tier focus.

youtube.com/watch?v=iXAbte4QXKs

Eurobeat

youtube.com/watch?v=BJ0xBCwkg3E&list=PLaPqBr-6ZyH-JoiP4fcLc2sEPNFuTfnFj

Picking up Von Neumann's habits will not make me a genius, it will make me a faggot wannabe.

That said I do enjoy listening to music, stuff like ambient or more noisy albums. The only objectively wrong choice here is obviously listening to anime music.

It's simply anecdotal evidence that there are indeed smart people who listen to music while they work.

Ambient works well if you don't want to be distracted.

Trance music is the best imo

Music is bad for you. It distracts you and makes you work passively.
Von Neumann could mostly get away with it because he had an IQ of 470, but probably if he gave up that habit and tryed to concentrate for real he would hve discovered transistors and cold fusion instead of just finding out a bag of maths/physics tricks and doing no fundamental contributions

I find that a noisy snd hectic environment can stimulate my brain enough so that I don't get bored while simultaneously forcing my mind to operate at a pace such that fast and efficient work becomes easy.

>German march music

there you go

I got through diffQ with copious amounts of drugs and a little shallow house

it helps if you are a narcissistic egoistic asshole

Poly sci major? yeah id be upset with my life choices as well.

BTW this is bullshit. There are schools designed around loud noises. If a student can excel under stressful situations, i.e. unwanted music, they will be able to tune things out.

Yea this is why your mother decided to get knocked up by a loser, so that his son could make up for his genetic deficiencies and be her little hero