So I've been making Curry for awhile now, and although the sauce is pretty good...

So I've been making Curry for awhile now, and although the sauce is pretty good. The chicken always comes out really bland. I've tried marinating it in plain yogurt overnight. Chicken breast is still bland, and tried thighs also but still bland. I just don't know what to do. Been doing the curry on a slow cooker.

Any tips on making chicken taste better?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=923144
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The chicken I buy tastes awesome with just salt and pepper. Obviously I do more with it than just add salt and pepper, but I really don't need to. Maybe the problem is the chicken you buy.

Try searing the chicken first

Try steak instead

Well if pic is related, don't use breasts, use thigh.

Lately i've been making this a lot: Sear the thighs quickly, sweat some mirepoix, braise it all in chicken stock (plus maybe whatever other liquid like white wine) then pull the chicken out after an hour or two, reduce the sauce and add the curry roux. EZ and good.

I'll try buying chicken from somewhere else, was thinking it could be that

I'll try pan searing it, should I just season it normally as it sears?

I was thinking of some lamb next time.

Yeah add some oil turn the pan highish and put the chicken on for a few mins each side or until browned

do you have a Trader Joe's near you?
I use their poultry rub and it makes the chicken really flavorful.

I also cook it in coconut oil.

What kind of curry? Add relevant spices and an acid (probably lemon juice) to the marinade

>I've tried marinating it in plain yogurt
>uses plain yoghurt
>complains that end product tastes plain

think it through, champ. Maybe if you added some fucking FLAVORS to your marinade, your marinated chicken would have more flavor. Funny how that works, eh?

kys

ho ho the master chef that was born with a food critic's palate sure showed 'im

>the master chef that was born with a food critic's palate

where, exactly, in my post did I make that claim?

I'm neither a chef nor food critic, but I do have common sense to know that combining two flavorless ingredients does not a tasty dish make.

I was making fun of you for not being empathetic to the fact that everyone starts somewhere. Knowing something learnable before someone else doesn't make you a badass. Flaunting it does make you a dickhead, though.

this was a hard lesson for me, but buy organic free range everything if possible. for veggies its whatever but with meat it really does make a big difference

>Knowing something learnable before someone else doesn't make you a badass

And when did I claim to be a badass? I lovingly passed on the useful information that I had, and then you started 'sperglording out all over the place.

Calm your shit, sugar tits. Maybe learn how to read social cues before shitposting on a Martian rock sharing image board.

Boneless thighs, seasoned with ground cloves and cinnamon + salt and pepper, sear just until browned will do wonders

alright what flavors should I add then bucko

>using basic logic
>master chef

honestly you might just be actually retarded if you didnt think of that on your own

>alright what flavors should I add then bucko
not him but how about literally anything you find tastes good with curry

the thing is most recipes I've seen literally says to use plain yogurt, nothing else for extra flavors or whatever for the marinade.

What recipes do you typically use?

how do i make my curry good at all? it's always insipid and bland.

holy shit dude how about you step out of your spoon fed safety bubble of autism and just try things for yourself and experiment. ya you are going to fuck up now and then but if that happens you just order a pizza and call it a night. you will never learn to really cook doing nothing but following a recipe

it's mainly chicken tikka masala

most recipes I've seen call for adding spices (e.g. garam masala or some other mix) to the yoghurt before adding the chicken. If you add unseasoned chicken to plain yoghurt, the best you'll get is slightly tenderized, flavorless chicken.

I thought that might be the issue. Don't do tikka masala recipes if you want it flavorful, they're typically shit.

If you want to stick with chicken like this one a lot: recipecorner.com/chicken-curry-recipes_recipes/indian-chicken-curry-murgh-kari_recipe

Garam masala added at the end (it's a finishing spice) will help you out a lot, also be sure to toast your spices before you toss any liquids in there, I put them in with the onions so the flavors can bloom.

i dont like tiki chicken marsala

>season normally

Nah, man, season it heavily with the same spices as the curry. Toast those spices as you're searing it.

Try the food wishes recipe. No yogurt. Coconut milk near the end. I've had it and it's delicious.

alright I'll try that a shot, the curry powder already contains cumin, coriander and tumeric in it, do you still need to add those or can you just add more curry from the recipe? Just wondering,

>not understanding hyperbole for sarcastic effect

It's fine to add everything together, nothing tasted particularly overpowering to me

make it smaller, and season it

forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=923144

For my curry I do dark meat, cut up into chunks at the butcher, I sautee onions and some of the spices and oil first, and then the rest of the dry spices I mix into the chicken, the I combine the rest of the ingredients into the pot later on

honestly i can just fry a chicken breast in a pan with butter (literally not even a teaspoon) and sprinkle a little MSG on both sides and be fine with it

>plain yogurt overnight.
You're not additional milk and Swiss cheese.

Curry needs fatty, bone-in chicken.